Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB outage prep

Options
  • 01-12-2013 9:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭

OK with this possible outage thought I'd start a discussion on it. I've already got a small generator. Was thinking of buying one of those foldable outdoor wood stoves. Any suggestions on what to get and how to be comfortable for Xmas if this happens?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I have a few alcohol stoves and spare fuel. Hexi sets too.

I make LED stuff for a living so I have a mess of lighting I can run on batteries For lighting.
    And a 12v invertor to run battery chargers

Wood stove for heat

I think I'm doing OK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Service as normal here, just I'll be able to get on and do something useful rather than read threads and post on here.

Some random thoughts....

It really is down to where people live and their life style, we don't have to make a massive change if the power goes because we already heat and cook with solid fuel. For someone in a flat with no fireplace and an electric hob and cooker its a different ball game. I'm happy using paraffin lamps for lighting but really couldn't recommend them to someone in a flat because of the fire risk. So for a lot of folk I think batteries for touches and radios are the best thing to stock up on.

For anyone in a flat in a city I'd be thinking about keeping warm if the central heating goes off which I think makes a good stock of old fashioned blankets a must (old duvets are also handy for wearing around the house if it really gets cold). Next on the list would be a supply of water, at least enough for two- three days including flushing the toilet (fill the bath and get a bucket), then something to cook on and heat water and finally lighting. Lighting is last as I'd take that attitude why waste, gas, paraffin, candles or batteries when you might as well keep warm in bed.

Now if what you have in store will only cook in an oven you also need to get a few supplies that will heat on whatever stove you can muster. Another obvious fail in an ESB outage is an electric kettle so don't forget you might need to by and old fashioned kettle you can heat on a gas/camping stove, I know you can heat water in a saucepan but I think that's just blOOdy dangerous as pouring into cups could easily get some one scalded.

Something that people often don't think about because we all have mobile phones and computers with the time on them is an alarm clock that will run when the power goes and doesn't need resetting every time the power goes.

Anyone using a hexi stove indoors needs to be aware of the toxic nature of the fumes off the fuel (US army stopped using hexi iirc) another must is somewhere safe to light a stove with a flame. This is hopefully a one off (if at all) and you don't want the one time you use a camping stove in the kitchen to be the one time you put a big burn mark on the work top (let alone burn the house down) so be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Would ESB outage cause water/gas to go as well? Would it have an effect on the pressure on the mains network?

I'm in an apartment now so can't just light a fire for heat etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Doubtful, even though they provide gas, I don't think they supply a significant amount of gas. Kind of like how Airtricity customers/everyone will be hit by any electricity cuts - the opposite should protect everyone from gas cuts.

Water is provided completely separately, the only danger being that electricity cuts would affect the water treatment plants (and any pumps)

Extra layers and hop into bed may be the best solution for heat though.. That or head to the local pub :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Cliste wrote: »
    Doubtful, even though they provide gas, I don't think they supply a significant amount of gas. Kind of like how Airtricity customers/everyone will be hit by any electricity cuts - the opposite should protect everyone from gas cuts.

Water is provided completely separately, the only danger being that electricity cuts would affect the water treatment plants (and any pumps)

Extra layers and hop into bed may be the best solution for heat though.. That or head to the local pub :)

Your gas boiler wont work if the power is out, nothing to do with them supplying it. The bouler needs power to work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

we have a gas heater so we have two spare cans, we have a gas hob, so cooking will not be a problem, i am gonna get one of them top up sims for the internet, i can charge the lappy and the notebook via the car, so i have heat food and d web, am i missing something. edit to say the alchohal is already in place.

Gas should stay on but if it does you can't use it for heating because there is no electric to run the electronics that are in modern boilers or the pumps to pump the water around the rads. Gas will only be any good on a gas hob and cooker but don't forget the matches as many of the automatic lighting devices won't work.

Water depends, you'll still have it in your header tank and hot water tank but afaik most treatment plants have no backup if the power goes off so the water will go off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Firstly, it will be interesting to see how city folk in apartments fare out in power cuts. Now many more people living in apartments now than when we last had power-cuts.

Have Camping Gaz lanterns x 2, LED torches x 4 (tail stand) and 2 LED Lenser, 3 LED Maglites so well covered on lighting.

Two stoves for space heating and plenty of fuel, so heat sorted out.

Have two gas cooking stoves + one Biovac Camping Gaz stove and plenty of Gas.

Have generator (2.5 kva) but have not started it in 2 years so need to get that working and ready.

Not sorted on internet but have plenty of books!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Petrol and diesel folks, the forecourt pumps won't be dispensing either! No point looking to charge you stuff via the car if it's sitting abandoned in a petrol station queue somewhere.

A small radio (not on your phone) to listen to news and find out when the electricity will be coming back on.

It's also worth thinking about domestic security. Your house alarm won't work, nor will outdoor lighting, or CCTV if you have that installed. If you have to leave the house, how can you best secure it and can you remove any valuables either now or with you when you leave?

Anyone any idea what these strikes might look like? Will we have half a day hear and there or will it be lights out till they come to an agreement?? Surely not the latter....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

aaakev wrote: »
    Anyone any idea what these strikes might look like? Will we have half a day hear and there or will it be lights out till they come to an agreement?? Surely not the latter....

An interesting article in the IT seems to suggest (to my reading) that power may be sporadic and not completely cut off.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/contingency-plans-in-place-for-esb-strike-1.1612299
    A spokesman for Eirgrid said the company has “detailed plans” in place for a range of situations.

“Our staff are not involved in any way whatsoever in the industrial dispute in another company, and we are not in a position to comment on any industrial dispute in another company,” he said.

“Our role includes operating the high voltage national grid and balancing supply and demand for power 24 hours a day – keeping the power system stable. On an ongoing basis, we have detailed plans for a range of potential situations.

“We will of course ensure our plans for any situation are updated constantly, and will communicate with customers well in advance if there is a change,” he added.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

My kit: Biolite, bbq, 2xgas bottles for superser and bbq, hand crank lanterns, hand crank/solar radio, lots of stored water and disinfectant, most importantly though.....battery operated Christmas tree lights :-) only 14 more sleeps to go until a potential 'prep eve'.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

Just wondering
    If ESB goes on strike who will pay for damages caused during the outage? It will not be caused by natural disasters like flood, heavy wind, or accident, or old equipment that broke, but by esb employee who knew what he/she is doing..

I have a large fish tank, with running filters, heaters etc. If there is no electricity for over 2h, all biological filtration media will be gone, after few h temperature will drop below minimum for tropical tank.

Q - can I take ESB to the court for animals cruelty? , q2 will ESB pay the price for new fish ?

Perhaps try consumer affairs or even legal forum?

Or get a generator?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MartyMcCarthy

Don't forget the contraception. Those long, cold dark nights are a devil for the baby booms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Lots of good things mentioned so far. What do I have:

Light. I have several torches including a number of wind up ones. I also have a lot of candles (from bags of tea lights to large church like candles) and at least this is the time of year we can have then out on dispay and not look nuts. I also have candle holders to safely store them while they burn.

Heating. Central heating is oil and uses electricity to run the boiler. But two downstairs rooms have working wood fires or stoves and extal duvets will cover us at night (forecast is looking mild anyway). I havea shed full of sticks and briquettes plus a few packs of firelighters and matches.

Cooking. I gave a gas drum and a gas hob. Wont have an oven but will live without that.

Food. Already had lots of tins, jars, dried food, biscuits etc. All stuff we use regularly and enough to last a few weeks but there will be a resolution one way or the other long before then.

Water. I have ten 5lt bottles full of water in the garage. I regularly change the water in them and will do so again on the 15th. I also have 10 of the 20lt water bags Aldi had for camping back in the summer. I will make a call on filling those based on how nuts Ogle sounds on the 15th. I have a water butt located just outside the back door and a toilet just inside the back door. All other toilets will be sealed off and that downstairs one will be the only one to be used with a bucket to flush it with water from the water butt. The tank in the attic will be used for VERY quick in and out once a day showers.

Xmas Shopping. Presents will be done before the 16th. Only a couple of bits to get anyway and all the main stuff (e.g. santa) is already safely tucked away.

Xmas Dinner: Fresh food might be a problem if the shops and their suppliers are switched off. Even if I can get it will I be able to cook it. My guess is yes as ESB workers will not want to face their friends and families on Christmas Day in the dark. It is availability in the run up I worry about. How will turkeys keep in cold stores without electricity? So I have some nice dishes in mind for the big day that I can cook on a hob from long life stuff. (Starter Truffle risotto with sliced chorizo and grated parmesan all from Lidl. Main course smoked ham fillet (currently frozen in the freezer and if the power goes out a ham kept in a cold environment will last until the big day). The trimmings will generally last with or without electricity. Dessert is christmas pudding and brandy butter. Lots of cakes, sweets and drinks already stocked up.

Radio: I have a crank radio/torch. I also bought an eton solarlink radio/torch.

Gadgets: I have purchased some batteries (both rechargeable and non rechargeable). I intend to pick up some more. I will also keep our two work laptops fully charged and use the batteries from those to recharge any phones via usb. Probably not efficent but will do the job. Equally dont forget your Car can act as an emergency generator. I have USB adaptors that will at least allow me charge the phone if it is dead and I need to make an emergency call.

Transportation: Will fill both cars on the 14th (before a panic starts on the 15th).. Also have two 5lt drums and a 20lt jerry can in the shed for gardening. will fill those also. Both cars recently serviced. We have more bicycles thaan family members and I have all the kit I need to keep those bikes repaired and running.

Money: ATMs and debit cards etc wont work so I plan to have some cash hidden if needed. We also have a chequebook. But hopefully all my shopping will be done.

Security. I know how to disable the "no power" alert on the alarm. I also have some Lidl battery powered window and door alarms plus a battery powered motion sensor alarm.

I'm sure there are other areas to mention. But I've always figured the ESB were the biggest threat to the country so if Doomsday Preppers had interviewed me I would have said "I'm preparing for Brendan Ogle to hit".

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Not terribly worried myself, though I have a few bits done:

I have torches with rechargeable batteries. I bought some cheapo LED lanterns on ebay. Mostly I wanted light for a bit of quiet reading of an evening.

We have a gas hob so we're good for tea / coffee / anything that can be boiled.

We have plenty of food.

Hadn't considered the radio tbh. Must get some batteries for that. I do have an FM radio on my phone.

One thing that's an issue for us is the phone. I'm working on the assumption that mobile phones will be down. Typically landlines have continued to function with power cuts in the past. When we upgraded to fibre with magnet though, they (sneakily, and we're leaving them partly because of it) tied our landline into the modem. That means when the power goes we lose the phone. My wife's heavily pregnant and we had an unfortunate situation with our last baby where I had to deliver her at home (I was prep'd ;)).

Aaaannyyway, it's worth noting that old style phones that just plug into the wall may continue to work. Wireless ones will not though. If you have one of the old style phones away up in the attic, now might be a good time to get it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Khannie wrote: »

My wife's heavily pregnant and we had an unfortunate situation with our last baby where I had to deliver her at home (I was prep'd ;)).

Holy crap, good job! That can't have been ideal..

Thanks. :) It was actually grand believe it or not - I had the emergency services guy on the phone, it wasn't our first so I'd seen a delivery before and I had read up on emergency delivery. Also it all went smoothly so no complications or anything. We live about a 35 minute drive from the hospital so I knew it was a possibility.

But yeah...I'm nervous enough about it happening again during a power cut. Disaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MartyMcCarthy

The mobile phones one is interesting. I know that remote masts have onsite generation all the time as the cost of running power to them is prohibitive. But I'm not sure if urban ones have on site generation or battery as back up to mains supply. But then again urban centres may be less likely to be cut off due to hospitals etc. Let's all hope they sort it out before we find out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Rosahane

All the main Eircom exchange sites have backup diesel generators. However, the small rural exchanges typically don't, just battery systems. The same goes for the mobile installations.

I expect that this will apply to the other providers as well. So, if you live in, or near a town you will probably have service. If you are in a rural area you will lose service after an hour or two.

Right, according to the latest in the Indo, rolling blackout lasting a few hours will be the order of the day if it goes ahead:
    The shut-offs would be staggered, meaning that homes in a given area would be disconnected for a number of hours, but once power was restored they would be placed at the bottom of the queue before being disconnected a second time.

The shut-offs would be spread geographically across the country, so there were no peaks in demand in particular areas.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/blackout-the-price-you-will-pay-for-esb-strike-29811219.html
    (A long and rambling article)

Anyone else looking forward to it?

I have to admit I enjoy listening to all the "hardship" stories that people come up with especially if they are of their own making :o

I went to some effort explaining to a guy I worked for how his aga would work fine in a power cut and how to override the settings, but he totally ignored me and had a miserable family Christmas when the power went off one Christmas day. I heard stories after of how bad it was how the Christmas dinner was ruined and how he was roaring about ESB, if he's listed to me for 30 seconds instead of telling me he know all about it his Christmas dinner would have been fine.

Hell yeah! Perfect excuse to get the better half using some of my preps and have her realise im not as crazy as she thinks!! Even if it is just the camp stove to make a cup of tea!!! ;)

+1. In a completely selfish way, a bit of controlled and relatively short lived SHTF would make an interesting experience and a useful exercise. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

Hi all, the coming esb outage has made me stick my head in, its been ages, hope yez are all having a great life!:)

Its been a funny year financially, so the storage food was great, a lot got eaten and saw us through a few moneyless weeks.:(

Preps for esb - last time the esb went we had gas cooking and a fireplace, so no real inconvenience. Since then we have switched to electric cooking and fireplace is closed off (:oI know I know, it is getting reopened eventually, the expense!) so this what I've done.

bought 1 Kelly kettle - they have an offer for slightly cosmetically marked large units - the one I got had an almost invisible trace on it, I could have put put more dints in it taking out of the box so great value.

That, with my hatchet and a few logs will give me hot water - so put in an extra supply of hot water bottles so it will be duvets and hot water bottles for heat.

The water can also be used for washing, drinks rehydrated food etc. (of course we have that sort of stuff in all the time.)

Also got a bushcraft stove (also have little stove for hex tabs). And my new addition the wonderbag which is essentially a slowcooker without power. plan for dinner is heat a big pot of all in one something - stew, rice, pasta, lots of store cupboard possibilities) and when it is at the boil you bung it in the wonderbag where it finishes cooking on its own for a few hours. Also makes porridge over night, rice to go with those tins of chicken curry etc.

lighting - well its not like we don't have a years supply of candles even if the batteries and wind up torch gives out. :D

Bring it on. I know a chap used to be in the union there - he said they were very very militant, so I'd expect this sooner or later.

Good to hear from you bonniebede. Sounds like an eventful year, but you guys are coping well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Good to hear from you bonniebede. Sounds like an eventful year, but you guys are coping well.

Im trying to find a small gas cooker that will eh on the butane gas bottles , the one you use for indoor heaters

• Advertisement

johnmck wrote: »
    Im trying to find a small gas cooker that will eh on the butane gas bottles , the one you use for indoor heaters

Two things spring to mind two burner camping stove like this camping gaz one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Campingaz-Camping-Kitchen/dp/B000PXMAZU/ or a traditional (road workers) single burner http://www.amazon.co.uk/LPG-Burner-Boiling-Restaurant-Catering/dp/B008URJB9G/ or double burner http://www.amazon.co.uk/Double-cast-iron-boiling-ring/dp/B000UGIQ96. All will run off the same butane bottles used in SuperSer type heater using the same regulator.

Then again you might want an actual gas cooker with an oven?

Advertisement