Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman Mallorca Sep 2014

Options
  • 01-12-2013 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Is anyone entered in this for next year? Looks like an interesting course and a first ever Ironman makes even spicy-er.

If anyone has any tips or ideas around travel or accom, would be greatly appreciated. Maybe a company will be arranging to take bikes over?

I'll probably look to travel over 7 days before the race, just to try the bike course out.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

not doing the race, but friend of my wife's who livers there is getting married there the day before the race. have already suggest to th ebetter half i'll be disappearing for a while to go watch some of the race

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lee.robert

Good parts to watch are the swim at round 6:30 in the morning and the finish between 11:30 and 12:00. Both electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

I haven't transferred my entry yet but this is in my calendar too.

Won't be going out a week early but will do a few days and do the bike in advance.

Ship my tri bike may head out if numbers suffice closer to race I imagine so hopefully that's an option.

Will be staying in Club Pollentia myself.

Now to see how hilly the bike will or won't be! May just be 2 x 70.3 laps but I'd say different.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Fazz wrote: »
    I haven't transferred my entry yet but this is in my calendar too.

Won't be going out a week early but will do a few days and do the bike in advance.

Ship my tri bike may head out if numbers suffice closer to race I imagine so hopefully that's an option.

Will be staying in Club Pollentia myself.

Now to see how hilly the bike will or won't be! May just be 2 x 70.3 laps but I'd say different.

Im assuming its going to be a hilly afair but there is the potential for a flat and fast course heading inland towards the middle of the island. Run Im guessing pan flat laps between Alcudia and Puerta Pollenca.

If your staying in Club Pollentia Id say book asap, as the Germanians will fill it up fairly quickly.

Likley that I could be there also, all depends on Roth slots this week. If I am I also plan on staying in Club Pollentia,Unlimited ice cream buffet could well put them out of business post race....

Officially transferred my Mallorca 70.3 entry to the Mallorca Ironman tonight.

Booked in for Club Pollentia also - a sneaky Half Board deal was on offer!
    Tuesday to Tuesday, Half Board... €517!! How Cheap!
    Do they know how much food I'm going to eat afterwards!

Aer Lingus fly those days also well priced - Under €200
    Cost of Entry - €485 + €29 transfer fee + active fees

Total circa €1,250 ish

Prob one of the cheaper European Ironman races with a week in the sun and half board.

Here's hoping Ship my Tribike are going too!

Edit - ship my tribike have this race as on their list with pick up and collection dates etc so happy days!

Awaits trinewbie to confirm he's in..... ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Have you your goal times set?
    Will be interesting to see how the full goes there. 70.3 very popular.

Have you your goal times set?
    Will be interesting to see how the full goes there. 70.3 very popular.

Very hard to say a time due to:

- Bike and Run course unknowns, potential for quite a hilly bike but prob flat ish run
    - first ironman so I've no idea what I'm doing
    - likelihood of blowing up/pacing incorrectly
    - Haven't any performance indicators at distance in training yet other than 70.3 races

All that being said, if training goes to plan and I get in the shape I plan to then I'll be aiming for the infamous sub 9 (60, sub 5, 3 and change) but very much dependent on bike course I suspect. Ideal world would prob be a 4:45 bike with room for 3:10+ mara but course may prevent that being possible.
    9:30-10:00 prob a more realistic target but where's the fun in that. That's not going to motivate me in training as much as a much harder target.

Biggest and hardest variable is running a marathon after near 6 hours on the course.
    That cannot be underestimated. So many have tried and failed at the distance and I could be another.
    Who knows how I will respond.

Are you racing it?
    What time are you going for if so?

- Bike and Run course unknowns, potential for quite a hilly bike but prob flat ish run
    - Haven't any performance indicators at distance in training yet other than 70.3 races

All that being said, if training goes to plan and I get in the shape I plan to then I'll be aiming for the infamous sub 9 (60, sub 5, 3 and change) but very much dependent on bike course I suspect. Ideal world would prob be a 4:45 bike with room for 3:10+ mara but course may prevent that being possible.
    9:30-10:00 prob a more realistic target but where's the fun in that. That's not going to motivate me in training as much as a much harder target.

Biggest and hardest variable is running a marathon after near 6 hours on the course.
    That cannot be underestimated. So many have tried and failed at the distance and I could be another.

Are you racing it?

Looking more at various sources and natter on twitbox Im going to guess the course will be the 70.3 loop x2. Raelert/Llanos rode 2'17 is last year. Im going to be conservative and call this a 4'40 ish full distance bike split for top Pros: with this in mind, riding under 5 on the bike course would be a challenge (though definitely not out of the question)

Run course if the wind plays ball could be a fast one, if it doesnt, and the course heads for puerta pollenca the headwind could ruin dreams. :(

trinewbie wrote: »
    Looking more at various sources and natter on twitbox Im going to guess the course will be the 70.3 loop x2. Raelert/Llanos rode 2'17 is last year. Im going to be conservative and call this a 4'40 ish full distance bike split for top Pros: with this in mind, riding under 5 on the bike course would be a challenge (though definitely not out of the question)

Run course if the wind plays ball could be a fast one, if it doesnt, and the course heads for puerta pollenca the headwind could ruin dreams. :(

I do agree with you on all and its prob more realistic to say a competitive age group time would be 9:30 or so.

Could be an epicly hard course if they stick the hills and wind to us so!

Lovely.

Can't wait.

Now go sign up... ;-)

Are you racing it?

No just doing the 70.3 over there in May. My targets very different to yours. New enough to this game - this was year 3. 3 HIM's done with a sub 5 this summer so target for 2014 is sub 4.50. Would like to go long in 2015 so interested to hear how full goes. Seems to one of the easier races to get to.

I dread to think what kind of volume you'll be doing this summer so...

• Advertisement

Are you racing it?

No just doing the 70.3 over there in May. My targets very different to yours. New enough to this game - this was year 3. 3 HIM's done with a sub 5 this summer so target for 2014 is sub 4.50. Would like to go long in 2015 so interested to hear how full goes. Seems to one of the easier races to get to.

Ah deadly that 70.3 looks class providing the bike course isn't jammed with 4,000 people out in close proximity!

Snap on year 3, and snap on age group judging by your name also.
    I'd say you'll defo make your goals judging by progress.
    Definitely achievable.

Yeah Mallorca seems a class spot for training and racing. Very tempted to head out there for easter I'd imagine the place will be full of like minded folk practising for the 70.3 no doubt too!

Keep up the training, we can all only do what suits our individual lifestyles and consistency seems to pay off.

Looking forward to race report on Mallorca in May so!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lee.robert

Is anyone going to get in contact with ShipMyTriBike?

Competed in Ironman France this year:

Swim 1hr 12min
    Cycle 6hr 54min
    Run 4hr 47min
    Transitions 19min

Total 13hr 12min

If I can just cycle under 6hr and run under 4hr I'll be happy.
    Maybe France is different, but for me it's all about the bike...
    Bike in Mallorca looks tough, but not killer. (Don't quote me!)

Knowing the course makes a big difference when the course is technical. I'm going to go out a week early to wind down and take on the course in the lead up.

The heat is probably going to be a killer. Staying cool enough to keep attacking the run course will be hit and miss. sub 4hr run would be amazing. Fingers crossed!

Courses now online.... and look epic!

http://m.eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman/mallorca/course.aspx#axzz2nuPbxlme

Swim - 2 loop course with Australian exit

Bike - mainly one big loop, couple long climbs (10km ish) in first 55km of near 150m elevation each.
    Then flat and fast 80km-120km before the real test...
    550m Of a climb in about 7km. Couple bits then descend the beast just as fast!

Quite a nice last 40km then mainly easy gradient.

So circa 1,000m of climbing overall.

Run - looks 4.5 loops of mainly flat course by coast so may be subject to winds.

PERFECT!!!

Just checked Wiesbaden 70.3 and bike was 1,600m of climbing by comparison.
    The big one was only 300m though so the real test will be a 550m climb after 120km...

Bike course will be very hard, but may have potential to still be reasonable times hopefully...

Hello Wicklow Mountains...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Courses now online.... and look epic!

http://m.eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman/mallorca/course.aspx#axzz2nuPbxlme

Swim - 2 loop course with Australian exit

Bike - mainly one big loop, couple long climbs (10km ish) in first 55km of near 150m elevation each.
    Then flat and fast 80km-120km before the real test...
    550m Of a climb in about 7km. Couple bits then descend the beast just as fast!

Quite a nice last 40km then mainly easy gradient.

So circa 1,000m of climbing overall.

Run - looks 4.5 loops of mainly flat course by coast so may be subject to winds.

PERFECT!!!

Just checked Wiesbaden 70.3 and bike was 1,600m of climbing by comparison.
    The big one was only 300m though so the real test will be a 550m climb after 120km...

Bike course will be very hard, but may have potential to still be reasonable times hopefully...

Hello Wicklow Mountains...

Looks like the 70.3 course is the 2nd half of the bike leg. Cruel that the hill is at the end and not on the first loop!

Awesome course. Looking forward to a showdown with Fazz.

trinewbie wrote: »
    Awesome course. Looking forward to a showdown with Fazz.

Coming from Mr 9hr IM, AG Win and Kona qual all on debut it's me who's the one that has to look forward to the Showdown! :eek::eek::eek: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Myself and some work mates are signed up for this. We are not part of a tri club.

I was recently informed that i need to have Triathlon Ireland membership to participate. Is this correct ? I already paid about €240 to enter so didnt expect any extra costs like this !

Thanks for any info

grahamor wrote: »
    Myself and some work mates are signed up for this. We are not part of a tri club.

I was recently informed that i need to have Triathlon Ireland membership to participate. Is this correct ? I already paid about €240 to enter so didnt expect any extra costs like this !

Thanks for any info

€240???
    Are you sure it's not the 70.3 you entered!!! :confused::confused::D

€485 is the ironman fee I think and pretty standard across all their races.

Most races do look to see if you're a member of national body. I'm not sure it actually counts for anything though and don't think it's ever checked.
    It may be an insurance thing but I doubt it.
    Worth checking the entry confirmation email to double check?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

€240???
    Are you sure it's not the 70.3 you entered!!! :confused::confused::D

€485 is the ironman fee I think and pretty standard across all their races.

Most races do look to see if you're a member of national body. I'm not sure it actually counts for anything though and don't think it's ever checked.
    It may be an insurance thing but I doubt it.
    Worth checking the entry confirmation email to double check?

Sorry, yeah it's the 70.3 i entered ! Ill check the email confirmation.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Fazz you've managed to twist my arm. Race entry + photos, flights, accommodation, and shipmytribike all booked last night. I'm not looking forward to next month's credit card bill.

This could be epic!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

still looks like i'll be there for a wedding the day before so looking forward to getting my first taste of ironman, even if it's from the coffee shop watching you guys:)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Rode the majority of the course today. The big climb is tough, (not steep but dragging), particularly where it comes in the race. Technical descent off it but handy enough. Nothing else to worry about really, a few bumps here and there. Some sections are exposed and very prone to wind, which seems to be in your face most of the time. But a nicely varied enjoyable route, good road surface apart from one narrow section that's atrocious. Theyll likely do something about it before sept.

Oryx wrote: »
    Rode the majority of the course today. The big climb is tough, (not steep but dragging), particularly where it comes in the race. Technical descent off it but handy enough. Nothing else to worry about really, a few bumps here and there. Some sections are exposed and very prone to wind, which seems to be in your face most of the time. But a nicely varied enjoyable route, good road surface apart from one narrow section that's atrocious. Theyll likely do something about it before sept.

Thanks.

So all about the wind then!

Sounds just like home!

The climb is more like 14k overall, the last section undulating.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

Ya hardly had a power meter/ GPS file on the bike when ya completed the route by any chance?

About 10 going from Sligo Tri. Looking forward to it now. 9 weeks and counting

P2C wrote: »
    Ya hardly had a power meter/ GPS file on the bike when ya completed the route by any chance?

Sorry I didn't. Have you tried googling for one? Things like this usually turn up on map my ride etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

good road surface apart from one narrow section that's atrocious. Theyll likely do something about it before sept.

They didn't/don't do anything about it for the 70.3 and its the same course! Definitely a section to hold onto your drink bottles...

• Advertisement

P2C wrote: »

Is some of it the same route as the 70.3? If so I've the Garmin file of the 70.3 bike route if any good to you

Advertisement