Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's The Best Linux Operating System

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

200motels wrote: »
    I'll give PC LinuxOS a go.

Just wondered if you tried this one ...... and if so which 'flavour' did you try .... KDE, Mate, Cinnamon, LXDE, other?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 shamanpriest

Hi guys

Sorry to go off topic a little, But could anybody suggest a Linux software to use if (like me) you know very little about Linux? ( kind of beginners Linux).

Been on Windows since Adam was a boy, (or Bill was a boy even) I do not have great IT knowledge if I am honest, Just want to get off Windows and on to something safe (or Safer) as windows stinks when it comes to privacy.

Also could anybody suggest a website or links which I could look up to understand a Linux package that might be suggested please..

Thanks in advance and again apologies..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Hi Shamanpriest

I found that the best way to discover Linux is to download VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org/) and install some Linux distros as virtual machines in your Windows installation. It allows you to check out different distros and desktop environments without interfering with your Windows host.

If you get stuck, theres pretty good support provided via the Ubuntu forums, internet blogs and the likes of Boards.ie.

Enjoy :)

Hi propjoe10,

Thank you very much, I must admit to being nervous about asking the question in case I annoyed you guys (new on this as you can tell).

I will download virtual box as you suggested and give it a go. Thank you for the link also. :-)

Again my Thanks for your patience and advice

You're welcome! Theres a good helpful Linux loving community out there who are always happy to answer questions and help out. For Windows users, I usually suggest starting with Linux Mint. Its very user friendly, works straight out of the box with no need for any knowledge of the command line. Lots of others to check out as well.

Good luck with it :)

• Advertisement

Hi Propjoe10,

Great thanks again for the info on Mint I will check it out after first trying virtualBox as you suggested and then progress to Mint if all goes OK.

Here's hoping and crossing everything :-)

Thank you again for your help and time

Kind Regards

Guys

I just installed mint on my machine in bed with windows ( for the moment) I am trying to install a 3 Ireland 3g broadband dongle but without success any Ideas please ??

BTW, I am crap when it comes to Linux so if you can help me PLEASE treat me like an idiot :-) In other words step by step please.

Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I'd really open a new thread for this...
    Do you know how to use terminal in linux? (it's easy, I just don't know how to start it in mint)
    Once you get the terminal type:
    lsusb

and post the results (or just the line showing your modem). The dongle has to be plugged in.

P.S. Is it huawei E620?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Guys

I just installed mint on my machine in bed with windows ( for the moment) I am trying to install a 3 Ireland 3g broadband dongle but without success any Ideas please ??

BTW, I am crap when it comes to Linux so if you can help me PLEASE treat me like an idiot :-) In other words step by step please.

Thanks guys

Did you try googling for a solution?

I typed mint and 3g into google and the first hit found this

You will find the learning curve for Linux painful and difficult if you do not learn to google issues before asking for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Just wondered if you tried this one ...... and if so which 'flavour' did you try .... KDE, Mate, Cinnamon, LXDE, other?
    Yes I've tried it and used Cinnamon and it works like a treat on a very old PC and what's more it's a keeper.

• Advertisement

200motels wrote: »
    Yes I've tried it and used Cinnamon and it works like a treat on a very old PC and what's more it's a keeper.

Cinnamon is nice. I must be one of the few that really doesnt like the KDE desktop environment. LXDE is still probably my favourite, because its so minimalistic. No crap that you dont need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Cinnamon is nice. I must be one of the few that really doesnt like the KDE desktop environment. LXDE is still probably my favourite, because its so minimalistic. No crap that you dont need.
    I'm the same I don't like KDE, I agree LXDE is excellent but I just prefer Cinnamon.

Advertisement