Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's The Best Linux Operating System

Options
  • 30-11-2013 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

As the title says, I've used Fedora, Mint, Xubuntu and I have to say I prefer Mint to the other two but maybe their is one that's better that I haven't tried so any recomendations on one to try that you think is better.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

To be honest it's usually down to personal preferences. I prefer Fedora or PCLinuxOS over Ubuntu. My son prefers Ubuntu it's often down to which you have used the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

FSL wrote: »
    To be honest it's usually down to personal preferences. I prefer Fedora or PCLinuxOS over Ubuntu. My son prefers Ubuntu it's often down to which you have used the most.

I'll give PC LinuxOS a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

200motels wrote: »
    As the title says, I've used Fedora, Mint, Xubuntu and I have to say I prefer Mint to the other two but maybe their is one that's better that I haven't tried so any recomendations on one to try that you think is better.

Each one is the best for someone .....

My preference is also PCLinuxOS (KDE)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

There is no best, the Linux kernel is the Linux kernel, what distro you find suits you best, will depend on your needs and ability to understand the tools and different ways each distro do things. There is something for everybody ! nothing wrong with distro-hopping to find what suits you !!

If you looking for a home computer distro, ubuntu and all its derivatives are good for that, most developers might go for fedora, rhel enterprise type distro, advanced users, minimalists and tinker'ers like arch

plus you have all the different desktop environments, say you have ubuntu, you can dress it up with gnome, kde, xfce, lxde, e17, or leaner window managers, openbox, awesome etc

I downloaded Manjaro Linux today and I'm impressed how little time it took to install and a brilliant O/S, I'm getting more and more into Unix based O/S as I'm fed up to the teeth with Windows and the fact that it's free is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

Manjaro is very good indeed. Have a look at ElementaryOS too, it's a very nice and professional looking desktop.

Another favourite of mine is Crunchbang, especially good for old computers.

Also take a look at Bodhi Linux, to check out the Enlightenment desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Lubuntu is pretty great, light and easy to use. Using it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Has to be Gentoo or Arch because if it's not the best Linux for you then you built it wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

humbert wrote: »
    Has to be Gentoo or Arch because if it's not the best Linux for you then you built it wrong!

So if you're not good at building distros(or don't have the time), then Gentoo or Arch aren't for you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

The thread title doesn't make sense. There is only one Linux OS, but multiple flavours of distribution.

I like debian.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

The thread title doesn't make sense. There is only one Linux OS, but multiple flavours of distribution.

I like debian.

[-0-] wrote: »

I like debian.
    I'm well aware of this, sure Windows Vista, 7, and 8 are are all built on the same platform yet are different O/S, it's to me the same with Linux all built on the same platform but with different flavors as you said above, maybe I should have asked what's the best flavor for Linux?

200motels wrote: »
    I'm well aware of this, sure Windows Vista, 7, and 8 are are all built on the same platform yet are different O/S, it's to me the same with Linux all built on the same platform but with different flavors as you said above, maybe I should have asked what's the best flavor for Linux?

Not really. Debian running kernell 3.11 and Fedora 3.11 are different distributions running the same kernel. The Linux Kernel. I can't imagine windows 7 and windows 8 ever running on the same kernel, but I could be wrong. I don't know alot about Windows kernels because its closed source.

I have read "Whats the best flavour/distribution/etc of Linux a hundred times on a hundred different fora. The answer is there is no best.

There are linux distributions optimised for running on routers, and there are linux distributions optimised for security testing and there are linux distributions optimised for Newbies, and there are Linux distributions optimised for christians, and there are Linux distributions optimised for newbie christians. If you are a christian newb to Linux then Christian Ubuntu is the best Linux distribution for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

syklops wrote: »
    Not really. Debian running kernell 3.11 and Fedora 3.11 are different distributions running the same kernel. The Linux Kernel. I can't imagine windows 7 and windows 8 ever running on the same kernel, but I could be wrong. I don't know alot about Windows kernels because its closed source.

I have read "Whats the best flavour/distribution/etc of Linux a hundred times on a hundred different fora. The answer is there is no best.

There are linux distributions optimised for running on routers, and there are linux distributions optimised for security testing and there are linux distributions optimised for Newbies, and there are Linux distributions optimised for christians, and there are Linux distributions optimised for newbie christians. If you are a christian newb to Linux then Christian Ubuntu is the best Linux distribution for you.
    I think it works better if you read "What's the best Linux" as "What's your favourite flavour of Linux and why". They're really not threads to be taken too seriously but it can be interesting to see what flavours people like and why they like them.

humbert wrote: »
    I think it works better if you read "What's the best Linux" as "What's your favourite flavour of Linux and why". They're really not threads to be taken too seriously but it can be interesting to see what flavours people like and why they like them.

Fair enough.

I use Fedora because i used to work for Red Hat and used to get drunk with their support and Tech writing teams, so if I have a problem I know where to turn to for help, aside from Fedoraforum.org. Also I find if you work on RHEL systems it helps to be familiar with the platform.

I used to really like Debian, but configuring a laptop with Debian and having everything working the way you want it took up most of Saturday and I don't have that kind of time anymore.

Enter Ubuntu which certainly shortened the install time but the Ubuntu forums have become a nightmare to navigate. Lots of threads marked solved despite a solution never being posted.

Ran FreeBSD (not a Linux I know) for a while but found the support poor and the community a bit abrasive. Documentation was excellent. The FreeBSD book had everything you needed to operate the system but when things werent working, namely wireless cards and things, troubleshooting it became arduous.

Edit: Also, KDE everytime.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

If you work on RHEL then centos is a good options too - my preference over fedora.

I agree with your debian/ubuntu on a laptop observations - that's exactly the way it worked out for me too.

croo wrote: »
    If you work on RHEL then centos is a good options too - my preference over fedora.

I agree with your debian/ubuntu on a laptop observations - that's exactly the way it worked out for me too.

Centos is more stable. Fedora can have its quirks. I remember going ballistic with a Fedora QA guy. Fedora 17 went General Release but wouldnt boot on my laptop. The same laptop everyone in QA for Red Hat had and they "forgot" to test did it boot on the laptop they all had.

"We tested it in the lab".

That was a bad day to quit drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

On the mention of Christian ubuntu, on balance OP should be made known of Ubuntu for Satanists :-p

see there is linux for everyone....literally :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

[-0-] wrote: »

I like debian.

If we're trying to make sense then there is _no_ Linux OS.

Just a load of Linux kernels meshed together mixed with someone's opinion of what tools should be bundled with said kernel

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Ah stop yer pedanting the lot of you. Next thing we'll have someone demand it be called GNU / Linux. :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I demand it be called GNU / Linux!
    :D

croo wrote: »
    I demand it be called GNU / Linux!
    :D

Is that you RMS?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Is that you RMS?

such a gNewSense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

That Satanist link has a NSFW pic by the way

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

*click*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

My parents are working away quite nicely on Linux Mint on a laptop for the last few years, the same with my girlfriend. They had a Win 98 system before that so the retraining minimum. They got wireless broadband recently, and the broadband people rather kindly configured it for them without blinking an eye (connected to the wireless network, so nothing too stressful for them).

I prefer Debian based systems, but that's because I keep trying to use apt-get on other distros, then get frustrated and have to remember how that particular distro does it. :pac:

http://www.distrowatch.com for an idea of what is out there OP. Try something like virtualbox with different distros until you find something you like, then off you go.

harney wrote: »
    I prefer Debian based systems, but that's because I keep trying to use apt-get on other distros, then get frustrated and have to remember how that particular distro does it. :pac:

On Fedora you could do:

yum install apt

Then press 'y'. Then apt away to your hearts content ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

On Fedora you could do:

yum install apt

Then press 'y'. Then apt away to your hearts content ;)

It would feel like cheating :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I've installed Linux Mint on both an old Dell Optiplex and an old Sony Vaio laptop recently. They were running XP and Vista respectively and had been parked up due to having become unfeasibly slow because of all the clutter that goes with Windows over a period of use. This despite cleanups, defrags etc
    Mint was simple to install, configured itself and all of the devices automagically and it worked out of the box. I think the only thing I had to configure was something to get sound from Youtube on the Vaio.
    Both machines are performing like new and my kids use them regularly, mainly with Chrome browser and to play Minecraft and other games. They've not complained about anything with them and have become familiar with the LibreOffice suite too.
    Having tried Fedora and other distros over the years, I must say Mint's ease of installation, use and software installation and update facilities have greatly impressed me.
    I do have a reasonable knowledge of Linux, Bash etc which has helped on occasions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,398 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Linux Mint for me. Works great, no faffing about.

Advertisement