Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCA/Fitness test

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Missimoo wrote: »

Being told the perhaps a career in the PSNI isn't for me because I don't agree with a decision a senior officer made is unfair. There are too many nodding dogs in the police and while I do respect authority I believe that sometimes it needs to be challenged and this is a decision that needs to be challenged. I came on this forum to offer guidance to candidates who I feel have been unfairly treated. I didn't come on here to argue with people.

We're all entitled to our opinion, I respect yours and if you read my post again you'll see that I AGREE WITH YOU that the changing goal posts is unfair but at the same time I can't see the point of going down the route of indirect discrimination as they'll just say it's 2 different campaigns. Now if they'd done it half way through campaign 1 I'd be encouraging you to go for it and I'd have your back all the way in any shape or form that I could. It's a case of pick your battles and tbh I'm of the same, definitely not a nodding dog but in this case it's probably futile to argue with the powers that be. I'm really hoping that they have another campaign soon and we can both have another opportunity at it and in the mean time I'm training hard and staying focused on what will come, not the crap that happened to me with campaign 1 xx

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Derob

Complaining won't get you anywhere! Decisions have been made for whatever reasons, people like to voice their opinion, would there be so much complaining if everyone had passed the PCA? Plus the fact campaign 1 recruits got put through on a higher salary also, no harm to anyone but if I was at front line and injured as has been seen the past few days, if a colleague was pulling me away from immediate danger I wouldnt be asking if they had passed the PCA by completing the push/pull element id just be grateful they were there to help out. When recruits get into GV without passing the push/pull element they will be trained and no doubt have to do a similar test to prove their strength, so even though I would love to pass by completing every element as everyone has done so it doesn't waver my determination to ensure I am fit enough to complete any task in my way!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Psni26

Irrespective if you get an 80+ or a 60 score at AC all candidates deserve the pass. We are all in the same boat and go with the same flow and it's unfortunate when the goal posts are moved for various reasons but taking it out on those that you consider "Having barely met the standards of the AC" being fortunate enough to get the 2nd go without push pull real isn't fair to say.

Maybe it's time that we all just let it go and agree to disagree. Loads of folk will think it's fair changing entrance criteria from one campaign to another, others will think they're being unfairly treated. Regardless it doesn't matter. We all knew at the start at campaign 1 you would get ONE CHANCE AT EACH STAGE, it was up to us as individuals to ensure we did everything in our power to pass each stage to the best of our ability, some of us did and some didn't but as I said before that's on us, the individual.

My mum always says hindsight is 20:20 and a wonderful thing. Maybe if we'd just trained that little bit more or harder, if we did this or that differently, if we had applied to both canpaigns instead of just one. It's all a waste of energy and time.

Maybe time we got this thread back on track about training hints and tip for everyone who's still in with a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭QueenP

I can understand frustrations here, and I'm just voicing my few cents, but campaign 2 has been different from the get go, no IT requirement, IT was tested at the ac, the initial test was a slightly lower pass mark from campaign 1. They have taken away the push pull and offered a retest in campaign 2. Again this is a different campaign, don't forget the chief con has the right to stop any process even if it's about to select recruits, and has the right to dismiss anyone through the process without cause.

Campaign 1 was the first campaign done in a few years and done without 50/50, which was a totally different process with no pca at all. So I believe they are still finding their feet even in campaign 2, you may find that the next campaign that opens up will be different too. I understand frustrations, totally do, but things change through out the process to meet requirements the same way years ago they needed 50/50 to meet requirements. So it's all relevant. I'm pro pca with push/pull by the way but it's changed and all I can do is continue to train, and not fret about it, and look forward.

Highbury delete a few pms :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Potential Constable Dibble

Hi guys,

Just to go off on a different tangent....

I got my Vetting Forms I'd say almost 3weeks ago (last weekend in June), posted 2 weeks ago this weekend. Got the Online Learning stuff through too and working my way through it. But I was just wondering how long of a wait until I would get a date for the PCA?? Any ideas? Many thanks,

PCD

You'd be better training now my lovely. Lots of anaerobic circuits. You usually have 5/6 weeks from receiving the letter to the actual PCA with a familiarisation day a couple of weeks before hand.

:(

5/6 from the PCA invitation letter??...I haven't even got the letter yet, vetting forms away, online learning - in the middle of. Hate all the waiting..... its torture....

Thanks for the info though.

Kind regards,

PCD

Don't lose heart, it's all about the waiting. Use the time wisely and train hard. Don't forget I went through campaign 1 but 2 has been over the place. You might get it sooner but don't waste any time. You can never be too fit or too prepare, just be thankful you have time to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭KevBo2015

You've 5/6 weeks to PCA, medicals seem to be within 4 weeks of the PCA in this campaign, you've then another 4/6 weeks to get a call and another 4/6 weeks to your start.. IF you get that far.

The game is a long one.... best to just get on with life for now I wouldn't be putting anything on hold.

Edit - What mop said too, train hard and be ready for when the invite comes.

• Advertisement

KevBo2015 wrote: »
    You've 5/6 weeks to PCA, medicals seem to be within 4 weeks of the PCA in this campaign, you've then another 4/6 weeks to get a call and another 4/6 weeks to your start.. IF you get that far.

The game is a long one.... best to just get on with life for now I wouldn't be putting anything on hold.

Edit - What mop said too, train hard and be ready for when the invite comes.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the info.
    I've been at circuits twice a week for a while now and the odd long distance run too.

Just the waiting is a killer, and work is awful at the minute. The knowledge of potential success mixed with work being a drag is not helping my motivation at work! But hey, I'll keep pressing on!

Thanks again guys!

Tell me about it, handed in the notice in work and the days are dragging in haha!

Key is to keep focused on the end goal, and work for it. People make their own luck, after a drab day at work the last thing you can be bothered doing is dragging yourself off to the gym... but no one else will do the work for you! So get the trainers on and get out on the roads!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 tino77

Hi everyone. Long time since I posted. Passed PCA retest. A bit of advice to everyone that you cannot pace yourself through it, you must go all out. I have done several half marathons and exercise 6 days a week and while I'm quite a slow sprinter I consider myself very physically fit. So I urge everyone to leave nothing out there and you'll be fine! Attend familiarisation if possible also as I couldn't due to work commitments and definitely was at a disadvantage. All the best folks

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jalapeno peppers

Good advice from tino there just beware the balance beam- it doesn't feel like much at the familiarisation but in the actual pca it feels about half the thickness and twice the height when you're under pressure!!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭panini

Quick question, do they tell you your time afterwards so you know how close you were?

In my retest I got my time. Not sure if that's the case first time round. Has been said on here already but the video of he girl doing the PCA is very misleading!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭panini

tino77 wrote: »
    In my retest I got my time. Not sure if that's the case first time round. Has been said on here already but the video of he girl doing the PCA is very misleading!

Thanks, I have mine coming soon and its hard to think about anything else...

panini wrote: »
    Thanks, I have mine coming soon and its hard to think about anything else...

Just keep focused on the training and leave it all out there on the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Stay Focussed

The two areas that require the most concentration is the stairs (up & down) and the balance beam - worth slowing down a little bit for these two elements to ensure you do not make mistakes; then good pace round everything else.

Important to keep focused in each lap and remember it is less than a 4 minute training session so give it all - Remember the prize awaiting you if you succeed

You get an envelope afterwards with your time and a medical questionnaire if you have PASSED

I never got a time in my letter and I done mine a few months ago (May)... unless this is a new thing and you have done yours recently?

• Advertisement

Only gave out times in campaign 1 to failed pca's but I heard you get your time and force when you're in hotel GV as they expect you to make a % improvement on the time round the PCA course as well as the 5k run. I haven't heard of anyone else getting a pass and their time. Might be another new thing they're doing. I guess we'll find out soon enough. Good luck and remember it's mind over matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Red_bull

Mop a top wrote: »
    Only gave out times in campaign 1 to failed pca's but I heard you get your time and force when you're in hotel GV as they expect you to make a % improvement on the time round the PCA course as well as the 5k run. I haven't heard of anyone else getting a pass and their time. Might be another new thing they're doing. I guess we'll find out soon enough. Good luck and remember it's mind over matter
    Won't be hard for me to improve! Crawled through the bars like a bull in a china shop and seemed to want to nudge the weight drag an extra few mm each time just to make sure I was over the marker! Time wasted!

Mop a top wrote: »

Did my PCA a couple of weeks ago and got the circuit time and push/pull score in my envelope and I passed - Looks like this is another amendment to earlier candidates.

Such a relief to get the envelope and feel the questionnaire inside!!

Good luck to anyone doing their PCA soon

Oooooohh!!!! I want to know what I got now :( reckon I was much quicker first time round, was surprised when I passed 2nd time, opened the envelope and drive away quick so they couldn't chase me down saying they'd made a mistake lmfao!!!!

The two areas that require the most concentration is the stairs (up & down) and the balance beam - worth slowing down a little bit for these two elements to ensure you do not make mistakes; then good pace round everything else.

Important to keep focused in each lap and remember it is less than a 4 minute training session so give it all - Remember the prize awaiting you if you succeed

You get an envelope afterwards with your time and a medical questionnaire if you have PASSED

Hi there, just wondering, and I know there's been a fair bit of discussion about it previously. But when you did your PCA was the push/pull element included?
    It's just that a previous post had said it was taken out. So was just hoping you could shed a bit more light
    Altho either way, as one of our friends on here said previously, you just have to beat whatever is put in front of you.

Thanks in advance
    PCD

Hi there, just wondering, and I know there's been a fair bit of discussion about it previously. But when you did your PCA was the push/pull element included?
    It's just that a previous post had said it was taken out. So was just hoping you could shed a bit more light
    Altho either way, as one of our friends on here said previously, you just have to beat whatever is put in front of you.

Thanks in advance
    PCD

Yeah push pull is gone 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Catdog33

tino77 wrote: »

Tino, can I ask did you have to wait 12 weeks before doing your PCA again? I think the PTI at my familiarisation said that you could retake your test at one of the support sessions so even 2 weeks after failing you could take it again?

Thanks in advance
    PCD

Push/pull was included when I did my PCA - Our group must have been one of the last to do both elements of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AA1234

Push/pull was included when I did my PCA - Our group must have been one of the last to do both elements of the test

Yeah me too, push pull was removed from PCA a couple of days after I passed my PCA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭StingrayGC

Hi there folks, a quick question can anyone tell me roughly how long you have to wait between PCA and medical, I am currently working abroad and need to plan accordingly, thanks in advance.

Advertisement