Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killzone Shadow Fall

Options
  • 29-11-2013 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

So what does everyone think of it? I got it last night on PS4 and I just cant get into it.

I wont give up just yet but I finding it really hard to stick with. Graphics are amazing on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,295 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Played for about an hour. Like yourself, the graphics are amazing, but just can't get into it. It's far too hard to find who's shooting at you and where your objective is. The game would hugely benefit from some sort of minimap, unless there is some way to have one, I haven't really checked yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Paul MCM

Penn wrote: »
    Played for about an hour. Like yourself, the graphics are amazing, but just can't get into it. It's far too hard to find who's shooting at you and where your objective is. The game would hugely benefit from some sort of minimap, unless there is some way to have one, I haven't really checked yet.

Agree with you totally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

The grapics are on par with most high end pc games I've played lately definately up there with crysis 3 :) but yeah how do you find where your going or do ya just wing it

• Registered Users Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

If you hold the up button to check your objective, when you press circle to go back to the game, the objective will appear as a small orange square on where you need to go. Could do with it constantly being on the screen. It's nice that it doesn't hold your hand with a waypoint but it could do with an extra bit of help. I need a gun with a bigger clip, reloading is a pain in the hole!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I couldn't get into Chapter 1 & 2 at all.

Chapter 3 & 4 are much better. Really enjoyed them. I keep forgetting about the touchpad and trying to change OWL modes via the D-Pad....

• Advertisement

Only found last night just tapping up on the d pad will make the objective location point appear on the screen. The audio log through the joypad is a nice touch. I saw you can buy skins for the owl for 2 euro on the psn store, mental!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I started it last night ...Already don't like the OWL thing at all :/ might trade it not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Am I the only one that's not massively blown away by the graphics? The character models (during cut scenes) to be precise. The world and environment do look fantastic though.

I had to get past the
    part where you had to get the survivors and intel from the crashed ship
    before I got in to it properly, am now clipping away at it nicely.

The story though? I just cannot get behind why I would root for
    the Vektans over the Helghast
    considering
    in the opening credits the Vektans destroyed the Helghan homeworld
    . Hopefully the deeper in we go a reason will be revealed, but so far the story, from a players perspective, just doesnt give me a reason to get behind my people.

I must add that this is actually the first Killzone title I've played, so not sure what back story I'm missing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Am I the only one that's not massively blown away by the graphics? The character models (during cut scenes) to be precise. The world and environment do look fantastic though.

I had to get past the
    part where you had to get the survivors and intel from the crashed ship
    before I got in to it properly, am now clipping away at it nicely.

considering
    . Hopefully the deeper in we go a reason will be revealed, but so far the story, from a players perspective, just doesnt give me a reason to get behind my people.

I must add that this is actually the first Killzone title I've played, so not sure what back story I'm missing

I'm playing 2 at the moment and don't know what the hell's going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm not overly enjoying this game. The graphics are good, but they don't blow me away, which you'd expect from a game that comes bundled with the console. The facial animations are very poor and kind of jarring because of it. The action is ok, but nothing special, especially when you have the likes of COD and BF4 out at the same time. And I'm not far enough into it to be able to comment on the story much, but so far it's like it's been written by the same team behind those movies you see on the SyFy Channel. As said above, the Helghast seem to be the badguys because they wear black and that's all you need to know.

I'm not sure if I'll even bother playing any more of it. It's just not drawing me in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,502 ✭✭✭✭Varik

considering

Not a spoiler considering this whole game is based off it but will be on the safe side as everyone is a baby on Boards.

The planet being destryoed
    The weapon that destroyed Helgan was theirs and on it's way to Earth, it was accidentally set off over Helgan before the ship could head for Earth by Vektan ISA soldiers.

The war in Killzone 1,2,3.
    The Helgan invaded Vekta in 1 and were pushed back, the Vekan ISA then invaded Helgan in 2 but things did not go well as the Helgan set off a nuke in their city to kill the ISA and then blamed it on them. In Killzone 3 it's the survivors trying to hide from the Helgan and both rescue their own people trapped on the planet and then stop the super weapon. 2 ended with the Helgan version of Hitler getting killed and then a crazy scientist taking over with his own private army and it's own super weapons.

Before the Killzone games
    Both Vekta and Helgan were owned by the Helgan corporation who started taxing ships passing through to earth and a war broke out between the Helgan's small fleet and the Earth's own military. You can guess who won, and the Helgan lost Vekta. Later they actaully became more than a corporation and over the generations started to mutate to become what they are now.

Varik wrote: »
    Not a spoiler considering this whole game is based off it but will be on the safe side as everyone is a baby on Boards.

The planet being destryoed
    The weapon that destroyed Helgan was theirs and on it's way to Earth, it was accidentally set off over Helgan before the ship could head for Earth by Vektan ISA soldiers.

The war in Killzone 1,2,3.
    The Helgan invaded Vekta in 1 and were pushed back, the Vekan ISA then invaded Helgan in 2 but things did not go well as the Helgan set off a nuke in their city to kill the ISA and then blamed it on them. In Killzone 3 it's the survivors trying to hide from the Helgan and both rescue their own people trapped on the planet and then stop the super weapon. 2 ended with the Helgan version of Hitler getting killed and then a crazy scientist taking over with his own private army and it's own super weapons.

Before the Killzone games
    Both Vekta and Helgan were owned by the Helgan corporation who started taxing ships passing through to earth and a war broke out between the Helgan's small fleet and the Earth's own military. You can guess who won, and the Helgan lost Vekta. Later they actaully became more than a corporation and over the generations started to mutate to become what they are now.

The spoilers went in for safety's sake, in case anyone didn't pick it up and had opted for Knack. Thanks for filling in the back story. I now can appreciate the story a bit more.

humanji wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I'll even bother playing any more of it. It's just not drawing me in.

I'm gonna finish it for the sake of it. Though tbh, if I hadn't picked the bundle, I wouldn't have been disappointed, as I've found Resogun to be fantastic.

I'm near the end of it, chapter 9 or 10 I think. on a very annoying bit in a giant room taking on waves of enemies. Really don't care whats going on story wise, none of the characters are likeable and the writing is fairly bad. GS are giving 24 credit and selling it new for 70. I know a lot of people are trading it but can't justify it.

Anyone looking to sell it, CEX are giving 42 euro cash and Xtravision (Spit) are giving 40 euro credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

What is the multiplayer like?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭The Sky

Online is great in Killzone Shadow Fall, really good!

The Sky wrote: »
    Online is great in Killzone Shadow Fall, really good!

Yup played a bit this weekend and enjoyed it. Shotgun seemed a bit OP. Hardly anyone was using it. I was mowing down people with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭The Sky

I love how the flow of battle changes so quickly, spawn beacon ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I finished it yesterday. Chapters 3-6 were pretty entertaining. There were some frustrating parts in the later chapters. I hate all falling/zero gravity sections in games.

Not really interested in the MP side of it, but I think I'll hang onto it all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I played it again a bit. Shadowfall get a lot ****, which it does not deserve.

It really looks stunning and it is not news to anyone. Outside of just looking cool it actually puts you in interesting locations. I know some people and reviews reported that it can be a bit hard to know where to go, but if you are not completely brain dead, then you will find where to go and what to do.
    The gun play and enemy animation is great. It really feels that you shoot a weapon not a pee shooter. Enemies feel heavy, when you hit them it really feels like a hit, not a balloon poping.
    Later on I will try out multiplayer. I might finish single player first.

I played some cod ghost single player and it was freaking crap. I can't believe killzone was getting so much **** and cod is still being looked as better game... I know for sure that I want to get back in to killzone, but I could not give a feck about cod SP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,502 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Killzone has always had a lot of back story in the collectables but unless there's a lot more than I seem to be finding then it still leaves a lot unexplained; the terracide and who was to blame. I found news papers that have some information but it makes it even more confusing.

Really want a Killzone 4 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Just finished the campaign there and overall I found it a bit average really. I definitely enjoyed 2 & 3 and Mercenary's a lot more.

Played it on Veteran and found it to be quite difficult or at least I died a lot in certain places.

Also completely agree with the person regarding the mini map. I like of clicking up and seeing where you need to go instead of an arrow etc always being there but it was way too difficult to see the little icons I found.

Found the story to be pretty boring and the end didn't solve anything
    Killing Pulser doesn't change anything Vekta still have the weapon

Also couldn't help but be annoyed at the
    ludonarrative dsonance (finally used those words :P) when Pulser kills Lucas

With that said, there were some wow moments. For me, the 8th chapter where you get those gravity rays... the first time that went off I thought it looked absolutely stunning.

Going to give the MP a go now and see what it's like.

Playing over the weekend.
    End of game and the game type flipped. For whatever reason I found myself in the enemy spawn with a shotgun.
    Absolute Carnage.

Also I keep reporting people by mistake when trying to respawn. I've reported maybe 5 people in error. I told one guy and he flipped out, so now I just say nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I know some people and reviews reported that it can be a bit hard to know where to go, but if you are not completely brain dead, then you will find where to go and what to do.

This is funny, the same reviewers will rage on the FPS genre for being linear and predictable, but if you take away the linear aspect they get lost, confused and angry lol .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

This is funny, the same reviewers will rage on the FPS genre for being linear and predictable, but if you take away the linear aspect they get lost, confused and angry lol .

If you give people freedom and can't back it up with good level design or content then you have major game design issues and it should be brought up in a review.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Only really concerned about the online part myself. The online in Killzone 3 was class with a real weight to the combat and a great ebb and flow to the action. It genuinely felt different to the other multitude of online console shooters.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I got both Ghost and Killzone on my PS4 and Killzone is hands down better game in both SP and MP. Not that Cod is some sort of standard for brilliance, but reviews were sucking off Cods dick mostly and calling Killzone average shooter.

As for level design. I played all SP and had only few times of "lost" sensation that lasted less then a minute. People are way to dumbed down with all these liniaer games, that I am surprised they dont need map for their own apartments. All those reviewers who moaned about level design should not even try stuff like doom or original Duke Nuken as their heads will explode.

I actually couldn't agree more with the above post if I had written it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I played it a bit when I got the PS4, but I wasn't able to progress past the bit just after the
    OWL tutorial where you've to go to the crash site and then plant the C4 on the AA placements
    , entirely due to their absolute travesty of a checkpoint save system, or rather, complete lack of a checkpoint save system. In this day and age it is absolutely ridiculous that you can't manually save if you need to, or if you can't manually save then the auto-saves need to be pretty damn constant. With this, it doesn't even save at checkpoints, you've to pretty much play through chapters in one sitting, and I simply do not have the time to do that. I've got a 2 year old kid, I can only play for a half hour or so in one sitting, so the game has been shelved until the save system is patched.

Advertisement