Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for living frugally - One liner tips

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thargor wrote: »
    I remember telling people at work about the recent Aldi/Lidl €10 coupons and most just werent bothered.

tbh, I didn't bother with them as I'd have serious trouble spending €50 in Aldi/Lidl to begin with (I shop in Lidl as my primary shop at that) and I'd end up buying stuff I have zero need for - it stops being a bargain then. Lots of other people didn't bother for the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

MYOB wrote: »
    tbh, I didn't bother with them as I'd have serious trouble spending €50 in Aldi/Lidl to begin with (I shop in Lidl as my primary shop at that) and I'd end up buying stuff I have zero need for - it stops being a bargain then. Lots of other people didn't bother for the same reason.

Could you not just buy some extra non perishable goods in order to take advantage of the discount? E.g. Bog Roll, tea bags, tinned food etc etc

Ben

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

BenThere wrote: »
    Could you not just buy some extra non perishable goods in order to take advantage of the discount? E.g. Bog Roll, tea bags, tinned food etc etc

Ben

Would have had to buy a LOT of that to get there. My usual Lidl run includes a week and halfs worth of bog roll (for about €3) and two weeks worth of tinned tomatoes (for €5.40) and the teabags we use are cheaper in the 240 boxes in Tesco - I've everything worked out to the per-item cost at this stage.

Ironically I was able to use one 6 off 50 and two 11 off 70 (I think those were the amounts) due to how bloody dear the few items I buy there actually are, plus grabbing some whiskey for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Always recycle the Metro newspaper for starting the fire in the stove. (needs to dry out though for a few days)

Do your own car servicing, oil and filter and know the job is done right with the right oil. One of those man skills for life jobs yer man on Top Gear would be proud of.

Kindling, during the summer grab up those cordelion leaves, tie 5 into a bundle, leave for a few months and there is no need for firelighters in the stove.

Looking for that bargain on Amaz*n, sign up for CamelCamelcamel.co.uk and set your desired price. Sends you a nice email when the price you set is reached. Saves a bundle of time and you get pleasantly surprised at the price drops.

Will share more later.............

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Bin sharing, I share with the neighbours as there really is no need for us both to have our own bins, it's a small bit cumbersome not having the bins out my own back but I get my rubbish lifted for €13 a month. Unless you have a large family there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to bin share.

Just wondering does anyone know some cheap and easy ways to insulate a house. I'm renting what seems to be a fairly poorly insulated one and would appreciate any pointers. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

I should be way more frugal but one thing that saved me a lot of money was bulk buying 25 fruit of the loom tshirts.

They are very good quality and cost about 2.50 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Fakman87 wrote: »
    I should be way more frugal but one thing that saved me a lot of money was bulk buying 25 fruit of the loom tshirts.

They are very good quality and cost about 2.50 each.

You should have a look at Amazon Germany for bulk buying t-shirts. They do some great quality t-shirts and long sleeve (If you want them), from numerous manufacturers, sometimes for as little as €0.50c each from FOTL.
    Look up T-shirts on Amazon.de - in general they are good quality and great price. (Sounds like an advert) :)

Shipping can be €2.50 and stays that if you add more, (I think up to 15-20).

Long Sleeves can go as low as €1.40.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

MYOB wrote: »
    Do you or anyone in your house drink alcohol? Problem solved right there, just stock up. A sneaky person would have just bought their usual shopping and then thrown a set of spanners or a €25 pair of shoes or something on the pile aswell to bring it >50, use the voucher to get their tenner off then just return the special item for a no questions asked cash refund.

Thargor wrote: »
    Do you or anyone in your house drink alcohol? Problem solved right there, just stock up. A sneaky person would have just bought their usual shopping and then thrown a set of spanners or a €25 pair of shoes or something on the pile aswell to bring it >50, use the voucher to get their tenner off then just return the special item for a no questions asked cash refund.

Not what Lidl/Aldi in particular sell generally...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Guys,

To help the forum move on I'm going to close this thread temporarily because all the Frugal tips are getting posted to this one thread, it is hard to find and follow them, so from now on use one thread for a topic, like Cleaning, Energy saving, cooking tips etc.

I have created a few to get the ball rolling. Any suggestions or changes let us know.

Thanks
    :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement