Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for living frugally - One liner tips

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭GoodBridge

It's theft whether it affects their profit margins or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The_Mask

Buy in bulk and store.
    Drive your car slower and smoother, it really does increase your mpg.
    Always shop around for prices for any tradework your getting done and always go see their previous work.
    Carry a small snack like a granola bar with you when your out and about to prevent you buying from overpriced corner shop.
    Give up smoking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thargor wrote: »
    Errrr... where do ye think the heat goes if you leave the oven door closed? Unless its a Stanley with a chimney attached it all ends up in the kitchen anyway, might be better to leave it closed and get a slow release effect.

A modern oven is very well insulated the heat release woul;d be so slow as to be of little use - leave open the door and its a few degrees warmer while you eat.

This is kinda obvious and won't save that much (but it all adds up!) - a tea bag makes two cups of tea without any trouble.

The_Mask sez
    Drive your car slower and smoother, it really does increase your mpg.

So true, also as every time you brake energy is lost, driving while being observant of traffic flows ahead (and lights, roundabouts etc) can save a fair bit of fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Why use a whole Brillo pad when half a Brillo pad will do the job. Something I read somewhere. I just cut 'em in half as I need them for small jobs.

I get 3 divides out of one. Why waste?

I have a list of what is cheapest in which place, Dunnes, Tesco, etc. I have to go to town once a week so I stop off at Dunnes on the way home to get that shop and see their offers, I walk to Tesco a few times a week to get fresh goods, buying what I need when I need it saves me on wasting. But I bulk buy meats as it is cheaper and freeze them in 1's, 2's and family portions.

I stock up on anything we are guaranteed to use when it goes on offer, shampoo, conditioner, hair gel, toothpaste, etc.

I bought a Brita filter as my tap water is very harsh tasting and actually hurts our teeth. I was using bottles of water before, but it worked out at €20 a month. After the initial investment of 10e for a brita jug, I now spend 16 every 3 months by getting the Tesco own brand filters at 3 for 16. No issues since.

I only buy books from a charity shop. You'd be amazed at the great books in perfect condition you can get for 1e.

I never wash clothes at anything other than 30 degrees and I don't have a dryer.

I never have anything plugged in unless it is in use at the time. I also plug the phone onto the computer so both can charge together while I am using the computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I never have anything plugged in unless it is in use at the time. I also plug the phone onto the computer so both can charge together while I am using the computer.

A solar powered USB charger like this (http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-BP-SC6000-Capacity-Charging-EcoPanel/dp/B00CHQI57A/ref=pd_cp_e_2) would be sweet, not sure if it can be adapted to charge laptops but would assume that it's possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

After the initial investment of 10e for a brita jug, I now spend 16 every 3 months by getting the Tesco own brand filters at 3 for 16. No issues since.

I buy 6 for 15 on amazon

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

A solar powered USB charger like this (http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-BP-SC6000-Capacity-Charging-EcoPanel/dp/B00CHQI57A/ref=pd_cp_e_2) would be sweet, not sure if it can be adapted to charge laptops but would assume that it's possible.

The reviews aren't great, it takes too long to power from the sun. Also, it supplies power on USB which is 5V, which is nowhere near enough for a laptop.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I never wash clothes at anything other than 30 degrees and I don't have a dryer.

You do need to actually run a washing machine at a high temperature from time to time to kill bacterial buildup amongst other things. 30 degrees constantly will shorten the life of the machine, false economy.
    I also plug the phone onto the computer so both can charge together while I am using the computer.

Unlikely to save much energy if anything - its quite possible your phone charger is more efficient than the laptop charger.

Not a hope. Power requirements for a laptop would be off the scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The_Mask wrote: »
    Give up smoking!
    Or if you find this impossible like me, switch to an e-cig, one 30 Euro starter pack and now I only fork out a tenner every 5-6 months and I still get to have a drag with everyone else after my cup of tea at work which is the main thing that made me fail whenever I tried to quit before, just too hard to go back to my station when everyone else was heading out for a smoke and an extra 10 minutes break, plus a year later Im not a gasping sweaty mess when I do 10k on the bike anymore.

We have a vaping Board if anyone wants to know how to switch:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1497

Cycling every journey less than 10km adds up to a fortune over time and its way more enjoyable than driving but Im guessing anyone who frequents a frugal board already knows that. Big boost to your energy reserves and burns a lot of fat aswell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

MYOB wrote: »
    You do need to actually run a washing machine at a high temperature from time to time to kill bacterial buildup amongst other things. 30 degrees constantly will shorten the life of the machine, false economy.

Yeah I think its recommended to wash bed sheets at 60 degrees or over to kill bed bugs/dust mites.

• Advertisement

Yeah I think its recommended to wash bed sheets at 60 degrees or over to kill bed bugs/dust mites.

and bath towels and hand towels -

I hate it when hubby washes - everything at 30 - nothing gets bright white clean!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Too small to be useful here.

They are mostly batteries that can be charged by USB that also have a small solar panel. A bigger 10cm square panel would out put about a watt in bright sunlight. ( A USB port is 2.5 watts )

It's cloudy in Ireland most of the time so you won't get that bright sunlight. And this time of year there aren't that many hours of daylight in the first place.

Might be useful in summer if you could leave it somewhere in sunlight all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭brian_t

You do need to actually run a washing machine at a high temperature from time to time to kill bacterial buildup amongst other things.

30 degrees constantly will shorten the life of the machine, false economy.

The first statement you say makes a lot of sense.

Your second one doesn't. Any chance of a bit of further information.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

brian_t wrote: »
    Your second one doesn't. Any chance of a bit of further information.

If a washing machine is run too cold without any hotter washes, you'll get build-ups of various things from minerals in the water through to bits of detergent which eventually block pipes.

http://www.yourspares.co.uk/advice/how-important-is-a-washing-machine-service-wash.aspx and many similar articles written on it - when a site that makes its money on selling you parts is telling you how to avoid actually buying stuff from them, they generally have a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭brian_t

They seem to suggest that low temperature washing is ok if you perform one maintenance wash a month.

A service (or maintenance) wash involves putting the washing machine on the hottest wash with only the detergent inside - and no laundry.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The_Mask

If a washing machine is run too cold without any hotter washes, you'll get build-ups of various things from minerals in the water through to bits of detergent which eventually block pipes.

http://www.yourspares.co.uk/advice/how-important-is-a-washing-machine-service-wash.aspx and many similar articles written on it - when a site that makes its money on selling you parts is telling you how to avoid actually buying stuff from them, they generally have a point.

Mmm interesting...suppose this would sort of be like the way its recommended to run your central heating system if it hasn't been on for a few weeks. Use it or lose it! (well..get problems anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

They seem to suggest that low temperature washing is ok if you perform one maintenance wash a month.

A service (or maintenance) wash involves putting the washing machine on the hottest wash with only the detergent inside - and no laundry.

To add to the washing machine advice :) use powder rather than liquid detergent. Powder contains more bleach than liquid which will help with keeping the pipes clean and kill bacteria, and extend machine life (or at least stop that horrible musty smell that can develop from a buildup of sludge in the pipes). Apparently Ariel is good for this. As already mentioned, do a maintenance wash (no laundry, add powder detergent, 90deg cycle) once a month to clean your machine. I just did one this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

mike65 wrote: »
    I always leave the oven open after cooking :)

I had never thought of it but it's a good idea. Now if only my oven was in the sitting room ;)

I wash most things at 30C. I do bed sheets, towels and nappies (I use cloth nappies, good for saving money!) at 60C. I used to cold wash clothes but realised it wasn't doing a great job if getting things clean. I lived overseas for a while and had a top loader washing machine which seemed more suitable for cold washes.

make the most of the cheap veg in aldi & lidl - I bought several bags of carrots and potatoes to make soup, carrot cake, I par boiled a load of carrots and frose them ready for dinner, the same can be done with the sprouts and have your veg prepped for dinners,

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I had never thought of it but it's a good idea. Now if only my oven was in the sitting room ;)
    But its not a good idea, heat doesnt "die". If your oven uses €5 worth of electricity or gas or whatever then €5 worth of heat has entered your house, it couldnt work any other way.

• Advertisement

But its not a good idea, heat doesnt "die". If your oven uses €5 worth of electricity or gas or whatever then €5 worth of heat has entered your house, it couldnt work any other way.

What I think most of us are saying is that we open the door in the oven when finished with it - to get a quick blast of air - we know we have paid for the oven to get hot! :D it is still a good idea for some of us - well in my ignorance personally I think its a good idea and while you think otherwise is unfortunate :confused:

Still I think its all about getting to know what other people are doing and how they are saving money - I have gotten a lot from this thread and its good to see the different opinions,

I actually have no idea what you are talking about - heat entering your house? Heat dying?

I think it is a good idea because it lets the heat out of the oven to warm you up for a minute instead of the heat slowly getting cooler in your oven. It'll warm you up for a short time if you're near it.There's no other reason to do it. You're not going to use it to hear your house

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I actually have no idea what you are talking about - heat entering your house? Heat dying?

I think it is a good idea because it lets the heat out of the oven to warm you up for a minute instead of the heat slowly getting cooler in your oven.
    You just answered your own question, heat doesnt "cool" (die) in your oven, it is released into the kitchen whether the door is open or not, where do you think it goes if you leave the door shut? The oven will have given up all its heat after you turn it off no matter what position you put the door in, its ridiculous to think otherwise or post it in a thread about money saving tips.

It seems to be a confused version of the old tip to leave the plug in the bath or shower until the water has gone cold in winter as this will let the water release all its heat into the house before it is dumped into the sewer pipes, thats an actual money saving tip as otherwise the heat will be dumped outside, in the case of the oven it doesnt matter in the slightest.

Actually, I was just thinking of a nice blast of heat on my legs in the evening - I wasn't saying opening the door would let heat out that wouldn't get into the kitchen otherwise. It wasn't my tip in the first place either, btw

As you are so dismissive what tips do you have for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭pockets3d

Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Just invested in cloth nappies, for one extra wash every 2-3 days, I will save a fortune in disposables. About 14 nappies and 50 liners for the price of those value boxes of disposables (30e).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Okay, this is my contribution. My dad has Sky Sports and Movies and multiroom. Having multiroom means you can upgrade this account to Sky Go extra meaning you can use up to 4 separate internet streaming devices. I have two in my place and gave two to my friend, my dad wouldn't have a notion how this type of thing works anyway. We essentially both have Sky Sports and Movies for free now, the stream quality is really fine. As a thank you my friend gave me his Netflix details (can use up to 6 devices). This is probably gonna come off as a boast rather than a tip but Netflix and Sky Sports on my tv for a total cost of $0.00. :)

Cling film and freezer bags are good friends of mine. I live alone half the week and the other half with my small girl, that means cooking for 1 or 1 and a half.
    Cook a full chicken, let it rest, then cut and shred all of the meat off the carcass there and then, cover the meat with cling film on a plate, anything will last at least 3 days with cling film.
    Once you have an onion, some oil, butter, a few stock cubes, salt and pepper you can use any veg that's in the fridge to make soup, there's never an excuse to let veg go off in the fridge. It freezes great and you can make so many portions from one batch.

Check what electricity plan you're on. I have a cheaper night time rate than day time rate. That means washing machine goes on at night, phone and laptop gets charged and slow cooker can go on.

Check what mobile plan you are on. If you're on an unlimited plan or a pay as you go plan good for you. I'm with eMobile bill pay on a relatively cheap package but the important thing for me that I'm with them is that you get unlimited free landline calls anytime on top of your minutes and texts. That means a heck of a lot of free talk to me for a low cost. I think this mightn't suit many people but it does for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

Here are my few tips.

Pay by standing order instead of direct debit where possible. This means that you decide when and how much to pay instead of one large sum taken from your account every so often. It avoids flat weeks. It may not work for others but it has for me. Paying by S.O. means that anything left in your account after the S.O.s have been taken out is yours to spend.

I do the weeks shop in Dunnes only. I find that they give much better offers on their Club-card points than Tesco. I have often received vouchers from them saying spend 70 euros and receive a discount of 6-10 quid. This is something I have never received doing my shop in Tesco. I also notice that Tesco have become rather dear lately in their meats and poultry, whereas Dunnes seem quite consistent.

I buy Dunnes own brand stuff sometimes. I have noticed that it is often identical to the more expensive named brand. Case and point Readybrek and The Dunnes own brand stuff are identical in all except price. I think there is 2-3 euros in the difference..

Check the price per 100g/Kg of similar items. Its usually on the label right below the main price in very small letters.

Always take advantage of 2 for the price of 1 deals on toiletries.

Close all doors and make sure your windows are properly sealed. If you can, insulate your property. If memory serves the SEAI offer grants to insulate if your house was built before 2006. Check up their website.

Lastly and most importantly get a jar and throw all of your spare change into it. And I mean all of it. You would not believe how fast it accumulates.

Hope I helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

When you are going to do a maintenance wash, also invest in a few cheap bottles of vinegar from aldi or lidl - (~30 cent and it does not matter if its the malt or white vinegar) and empty a full bottle of it into the drum before your run the maintenance wash. The acidity of the vinegar breaks down any limescale deposits from hard water in your machine just the same as the expensive colgan tablets would.

Same with your kettle... empty out the water... place in enough vinegar to cover the bottom/element and leave overnight to soak. Rinse out with water thoroughly next morning and it will leave your kettle sparkling and no more scummy looking tea!

After doing both of these there is no left over smell of vinegar or anything like that. It works very well and will save you in the long run.

• Advertisement

tim3000 wrote: »
    I have often received vouchers from them saying spend 70 euros and receive a discount of 6-10 quid. This is something I have never received doing my shop in Tesco.

Tesco sent these out pretty much one per week from mid-October onwards to me - it appears that it works out best voucher wise if you occasionally shop in both of the major stores.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement