Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that you hate that the masses like

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

Any reality tv show based on yuppie's or orange skangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Drinking yourself into oblivion every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Reality Television,Soap Operas and Talent shows such as X factor.
    I hate Mrs.Browns Boys aswell.
    Thank fcuk; I thought I was the only person who finds it painfully unfunny. You've made my day Rory!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Thundering_Sky

I don't drink tea... cue gasps :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

blueser wrote: »
    Thank fcuk; I thought I was the only person who finds it painfully unfunny. You've made my day Rory!

I am lukewarm about Mrs Brown's Boys. Yes, a lot of it is unfunny and very limited. Some of the earlier episodes were mildly funny. Certainly, all the Christmas specials were very poor. How it got as popular as it did will always baffle me. It is amateur in places too. Very overrated show in general. But since 2011, it has like it or not dominated our screens and now even the cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

While I won't say I hate any of them, but there are a lot of over-rated or over-hyped things. Here are some of them:

-Boybands: okay, so we've had Boyzone, then Westlife. Then all the imitators. Then the girlbands. An Irish response to Take That and the Spice Girls, a 1990s phenomenon? It would be ok if this was the case but Tubridy and the like have been promoting all the new boybanders and ex-Westlifers for what seems forever. Nothing wrong with them in moderation but not all the time. One D has made sure we will see a LOT more boybands and Louis Walsh.
    -Reality TV and talent competitions: Now, Big Brother has got to be the most vacuous but intriguing show for millions. And then all the copycats. Likewise, all the music talent competitions. Every one of them all the same.
    -Mrs Brown's Boys: see earlier.
    -Boyfolk/modern Irish folk/country: As if the Louis Walsh acts were not enough, the folk/country scene answered us with the likes of Mike Denver and Derek Ryan. Turn on any local radio station or TNG and you find this stuff almost nonstop. I'v heard far better folk, country, etc. acts who can't get a break because of the predominance of this stuff. It is watered down boyband influenced stuff. Tubridy likewise airs it on his show all the time too and I'm sure ol' Louis will want a piece of the market sometime too!
    -Most Irish comedy shows on RTE2. I mean all this Katherine Lynch stuff mostly. The Centre, Wagon's Den, etc.

All these are overcooked in Ireland. We get too much of the same thing it seems all the time and we get saturated. Our whole entertainment scene is small and insular and besides the occasional class drama series there is nothing being done to nurture the real Irish talent out there.

Advertisement