Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depression and how I overcame it

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 j0663

CBT is revolutionary, so glad it worked for you man.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Thanks for sharing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bandontherun

<mod snip> Any kind of advice, no matter how small will be appreciated. Im only in my early 30's but im wasting my life suffering.

Hi Bandontherun - Thank you for posting your experiences in TGC. Unfortunately per site policy we are unable to provide specific medical advice to any poster. As you stated, after counselling you felt better so I would suggest you contact your counsellor or GP again to set up another appointment.

Please be aware that there is help/advice available for you

On boards you can PM turn2me.org or visit their website at www.turn2me.org

Aware is a National Support Organisation for People with Depression. They also run local help groups where people with depression and their families meet up.
    Tel 1890 30 33 02

The Samaritans
    helpline 1850 60 90 90

These helplines are available 24 hours a day so I urge you to call them.
    Please feel free to PM me with any questions or concerns you may have
    Rgds
    Pawwed Rig

• Registered Users Posts: 18 greggharris

Hi Bandontherun

I just sent you a PM

Gregg

• Registered Users Posts: 17 OneoOne1

Well done.
    Great inspirational story!!
    Brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Thanks Gregg, and well done!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Great story gregg and very uplifting to read.

I'm a firm believer in the power of positive thought myself. The mind is a great thing but it can turn against you. Reading recently about cave divers who dive into very deep underwater caves....they said that, your mind will very quickly tell you that it can't be safe and that it won't end well, but you have to breathe normally and basically ignore it and instead trust your training, equipment, experience and diving partners.

Well done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Seany81

hi Gregg fair play for overcoming your problems when I read your story it was like reading some of my life story being honest I suffered very badly in my twenties with anxiety panic etc until one day I just was nt afraid anymore and I have nt suffered since but the thing now is im 32 and ive found out ive very serious kidney problems and I cant face hospital tests needles etc im just wondering this cbt etc should I try it out could it work

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mod Hat on - Hi guys. Just a little bit of info here. We have updated our resource directory on this forum. Included is a link to our friends in the psychology forum who have a good thread on how to choose a therapist (if you are doing in outside of a referral by your GP or counsellor). From a good source I understand that there are varying levels of qualifications in existence particularly around CBT. Please see the following links
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056299528
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055169338

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ddoherty88

Thanks Gregg. That really helped me. Just what I needed right now

DD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Bit late to this one, but this is the single greatest thing I have read this year. I could identify with so much of what you were saying that I almost cried at the end. While it sounds like you had a more difficult time of it than myself, I completely agree with everything you said. It took me a long time to realise that you can take on depression and anxiety and change your way of thinking.

Take care man and thanks for sharing.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Gregg, thanks for posting your story. As someone who has suffered through similar (though not identical) patterns since my early teens, this was an uplifting and refreshing read. It gives me hope that I can achieve something similar for myself.

I'm delighted for you, and fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Gregg, thanks for posting your story. <snip>

I'm delighted for you, and fair play to you.

+1

That was a great read and something I am sharing with someone I know will benefit from reading it.

Thanks Gregg. May life treat you and those you love kindly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Plutharc

Nice to see a good outcome to a story that could have ended in a totally different place. Fair play man you have a great spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭picaso30

Thanks Gregg for sharing your story, fair play,another inspired person.
    Can anyone recommend any tried and tested CBT resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

The "For Dummies" series of books does a CBT one that explains the principles really well and has some exercises that you can adapt. The series also has a CBT workbook for dummies with more exercises and practical applications. I'm quite experienced in CBT and have recommended these to clients before as they're straightforward and easy to do on your own.

However, I'd encourage anyone with more long term or debilitating issues to see a therapist for this- the reason CBT has become so popular is that the basic principles and skills are very easy to understand, but as a model of therapy there's a hell of a lot more to it than the basic principles and more serious issues would benefit from an experienced practitioner to guide you through and troubleshoot when things get stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 alanalanalan

Love this. I used it as my inspiration to seek help

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 sarge marcus

Thanks gives me hope

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Great post.
    Delighted for you.
    So important, as you say, to allow yourself to like yourself.
    And It really is about realising you're in control of your thinking and changing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Good for you Gregg.

It was a great story and I think I took more from it than anything I've read on a bulletin board before. Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mbyrne777

walkinmyshoes.ie brought me here

The more and more people open up with their personal experiences of dealing with depression, the easier it becomes for others to do so and ultimately begin to seek help.

Well done Gregg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Im a bit hungover and emotional this morning. When I got to the Jim Morrison quote I shed a tear. Fair play to ye Gregg best of luck with the rest of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Amazing Gregg. Such an honest story, written so eloquently. You're an inspiration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Just read this, what a brilliant post. Thanks a million for sharing your story, and I wish you every good wish for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Just to add gregg, it is beautifully written also. I don't know if you write for a living, but if you don't, you should.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭newbie11

Amazing post Greg

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Photoman

Thanks Greg just started my first session of CBT today and your story is inspiring

• Registered Users Posts: 18 greggharris

Photoman wrote: »
    Thanks Greg just started my first session of CBT today and your story is inspiring

Hi Photoman

That's Great. I am delighted for you. Hope you get from it what you want.

Gregg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

Gregg,

Well done, that is a truly inspirational story and a testament to your courage and honesty.

Thank you for sharing it and I expect and hope that you from strength to strength from here. Good luck!!

Advertisement