Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to live for free in Ireland! [sarcasm]

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

on_my_oe wrote: »
    Contact your TD - until some proper noise about the impact of write offs and the banks actions (or inactions) is made, us plebs will remain at the bottom of the cliff

This gentleman will be seeking votes shortly.
    Brian.hayes@oir.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Marchbride

Zamboni wrote: »
    This gentleman will be seeking votes shortly.
    Brian.hayes@oir.ie

Just emailed my local TD John Lyons. Don't think it will make a blind bit of notice but its done now :)

Marchbride wrote: »
    Just emailed my local TD John Lyons. Don't think it will make a blind bit of notice but its done now :)

John is out at the next general election and won't care.
    Brian Hayes is running in the European elections in May in Dublin.
    Email him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_%28European_Parliament_constituency%29

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Marchbride

John is out at the next general election and won't care.
    Brian Hayes is running in the European elections in May in Dublin.
    Email him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_%28European_Parliament_constituency%29

This is my email. Shouldn't have rushed it but never get time to compose anything properly with a 9 mth old and 2yr old hanging out of me!

Dear Brian
    I am writing to you about a matter which I feel is very serious and needs urgent address. The state of our housing market.
    My husband and I are presently going through the hell of trying to buy our first home. It is extremely stressful and quite frankly, depressing. We have bid on 16 houses. Yes SIXTEEN houses. To no avail. We have bid up to 30k over asking price on some properties. We did go 'sale agreed' on one house which was being sold by AIB. After five long gruelling weeks of bidding wars, bank games and viewings we got the good news that we were going sale agreed. Then we get the valuation done only to find out the bank are pulling out of the sale to allow their client time to pay outstanding loans. Well, he got his mortgage written off. And he is now renting out this property?? Makes loads of sense, that tax payers foot the bill for this greedy investors mistakes. I'm just completely angered by the state of the market, poor intervention by government and lack of regulation. My husband and I are in good stable jobs, have mortgage approval of 280k and we cannot get a house. We are just one of many being pushed out of the market because of ridiculously high and constantly spiralling prices. I would have thought lessons were learnt from the 'boom' era. NOT AT ALL. Families are now getting themselves into crazy debt to secure their first homes, the circle of debt forgiveness beyond what is realistically manageable constantly evolves as a result of people's stupidity and the governments 'shut eye' approach. The fact the government don't have a minister for housing is a significant indicator of how serious you guys are taking the housing crisis.
    I am writing to you as I feel the housing crisis is a very serious one which needs addressing immediately. I know of many more people in the same situation as I am. They are aware of local elections coming up and want this to be at the fore of their elected politicians motivate for change.
    I sincerely hope you can bring this matter further.

Warmest regards
    March bride

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Write to Roisin Shortall - I did last Friday, and she's promised to ask a Dail question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Marchbride wrote: »
    It amazes me.. We went 'sale agreed' on a house supposedly owned by the banks only for the sale to fall flat on its face. The bank (AIB), pulled out of the sale giving their customer two weeks to pay his outstanding debt only to actually write off the outstanding mortgage. And wouldn't you know that their customer is now renting out this property!!!! Blood boiling bullsh*t

I feel for you, but can I ask how did you managed to get all this info? Are you sure you have it all straight?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Brian Hayes is running in the European elections in May in Dublin. Email him.
    Brian Hayes has a property investment at 15 Haddon Court, Clontarf, Dublin 3.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

snubbleste wrote: »
    Brian Hayes has a property investment at 15 Haddon Court, Clontarf, Dublin 3.

Hes far from the only TD in this boat- have a look at their list of declared interests...........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

You can also live for free by mocking to the USA< letting out your gaff and pocketing the rent
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/couple-have-paid-nothing-off-735k-mortgage-in-three-years-despite-renting-out-house-court-told-30131916.html
    Couple have paid nothing off €735k mortgage in three years despite renting out house, court told...“There is no dispute by the defendants that they got the money or that they have not paid one euro off the debt since September 2010 despite getting a rental income.”

And this being Ireland, the Judge adjourned the case until June 19th and no mention of what happens to the rent in the meantime!
    Judge Linnane said the bank had not complied with the court’s directions regarding the service of a supplementary affidavit and she was not prepared to grant an order for possession while the appeal against it’s rejection of the latest payment proposals was ongoing.

I recently heard that the government are considering directly subsidising mortgage defaulters.

YES!
    Fine Gael and Labour want to pay off your mortgage for you by using tax paid from other prudent citizens, mortgage holders and private tenants.

In an unmitigated move, Fine Gael and Labour have become so twisted in their understanding of the mortgage arrears crisis that have now decided to provide MORE tax to the banking sector under the guise of helping out people in genuine financial difficulty.

This is ludicrous. Who will pay for this?
    People who pay their mortgages on time no matter how difficult it is.
    Private renters.
    All tax payers.
    Y'know people that actually pay for things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I recently heard that the government are considering directly subsidising mortgage defaulters.

YES!
    Fine Gael and Labour want to pay off your mortgage for you by using tax paid from other prudent citizens, mortgage holders and private tenants.

In an unmitigated move, Fine Gael and Labour have become so twisted in their understanding of the mortgage arrears crisis that have now decided to provide MORE tax to the banking sector under the guise of helping out people in genuine financial difficulty.

This is ludicrous. Who will pay for this?
    People who pay their mortgages on time no matter how difficult it is.
    Private renters.
    All tax payers.
    Y'know people that actually pay for things.

There is already a live thread discussing this - don't bump zombie threads please

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement