Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to live for free in Ireland! [sarcasm]

Options
  • 25-11-2013 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

Are you struggling to pay your mortgage?
    Would you like to have zero accommodation costs?
    Would you rather spend your hard earned on a new 2014 registered car, Sky Sports upgrade and foreign holidays?
    Perhaps you are not even struggling and would just prefer to keep the cash?
    Well Now You Can!

Fine Fail and Fine Gael have been conspiring with the professional classes to ensure that YOU, the people who voted them into power and six figure salaries, have the capacity to live free or at the very least make a profit!

How do I avail of this special offer?
    All you have to do is stop paying your mortgage. That's right! It is that simple.
    You can sit back and redirect the mortgage repayments into a high deposit account or investment options.
    You can try and have the debt written off or simply sit back and let them (never) try to repossess your property.

FAQ's

This seems wrong - Debt cannot just be written off into thin air! Somebody must be paying for this?
    The government have skilfully ensured that you don't have to pay.
    Through pure genius the government ensured that the banks became state owned. So now your unpaid debts will be paid for by the future taxpayers.
    That's right - people that don't even exist yet!

The bank is already losing money on my tracker mortgage - Who pays for that?
    That is covered too! That will be paid for by the morons who buy property now through ever increasing variable interest rates.

Does anybody else suffer financially?
    Yes - Private tenants will have to be ever increasing rental costs for two reasons
    1. The banks won't have capital to give out many new mortgages.
    2. The supply of the market is constricted through you staying in your house so there is nothing for them to buy anyway - thus pushing rental prices up and preventing renters accumulating deposits!

Does anybody else gain financially?
    Damn straight! The professional classes (lawyers and accountants) who benefited form the cause of this situation through sales transactions fees have been "upskilling" to become PIPS and form organisations like New Beginnings - They will make a fortune and/or raising their profiles simply by defending you to have your debt written off by the bank! Genius

Do I get to keep my property?
    You didn't pay for it - Should you keep it? OF COURSE YOU CAN!

The government do what is popular not what is right.
    There will be a tiny fractions of repossessions - The more people that avail of this offer, the more decades it would take to even end up with a court judgement for repossession anyway!
    There are hundreds of thousands of mortgages in arrears - THAT'S A LONG QUEUE.

Surely an external body like the EU would prevent something like this?

Don't be daft! The Troika demanded the Irish government push for repossessions and in September 2013 the government said there would be "fast-tracked" repossessions.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0926/476679-troika-government/

Once the Troika left Ireland post bailout in November 2013 the state said it would be unlikely there would be any major changes to repossessions!
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1124/488761-repossessions-troika/

What is the worst case scenario if I avail of this offer?
    You may at some point be forced by a government of the future to pay your debt or face repossession - but at that point you can simply pay of the arrears with your accumulated investments and keep the profit!

Who can apply for this special offer?
    Everybody who has a mortgage with a bank that is remotely state owned.

Terms and Conditions
    This offer is not applicable to non-mortgage holders - you missed your chance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

You forgot that even if you have investment properties and havent paid the mortgage in years. That you are protected by MARP, i know its only for your principal private residence. But most banks are so over their heads with under-performing mortgages (possibly because they let go of a lot of their staff), that they dont know which mortgages are home mortgages or investment mortgages. Its nice to see our bailout money is helping everyone in need

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Thinking about this makes me glad NZ beat Ireland.

what a horrid place, I wish the worst on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

post of the year! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Sadly much of the OP is true - particularly the last line.

I didn't buy-in to the madness (despite fortnightly offers from the bank of "almost free" money), but when I see threads like this and calls for "debt forgiveness" I actually regret my decision as by being "sensible" I've been saddled with the bill anyway (through higher taxes, charges and rents) and as a result will now probably never have the opportunity to buy.

Moral of the story: Being financially responsible, paying your way, and doing things "right" in this country only leads to you being screwed over even more. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

we need a strong Irish Renters Association to fight for tenants rights in the face of these leeches.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Thomas D wrote: »
    we need a strong Irish Renters Association to fight for tenants rights in the face of these leeches.

You do (have one), its called the PRTB............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

Great that ad generated below this thread on my phone is one for a personal insolvency company! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Is the square brackets bit in the thread title strictly necessary or does this forum have a higher than usual proportion of people "on the spectrum" who need guidance in such matters?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Love ya Zamboni :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I feel a little guilty - I mean, is it really OK for people that prudently waited and stayed out of the property boom, and who are now getting priced out of a state-manipulated property market to pay my bills while I swan around in my SUV ignoring my debts ?

Absolutely! Remember, property speculators like you are the go-getters, the wealth creators of tomorrow that will help propel the economy back to its former glory when the property market recovers and booms again.

You'll be part of the solution while those less ambitious than you will be paying you state-manipulated levels of rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭uli84

My friend's landlord is getting rent off her every month yet she does not bother paying her mortgage. How wrong is that?! Wonder what she does with the rent money he he

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/families-keep-health-cover-and-second-car-in-bank-debt-deals-29783753.html

^This couple on 100k a year between them (in good jobs seemingly) unwilling to service their 400k debt/mortgage.
    Get nearly quarter of a million written off.
    Baffling.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/families-keep-health-cover-and-second-car-in-bank-debt-deals-29783753.html

^This couple on 100k a year between them (in good jobs seemingly) unwilling to service their 400k debt/mortgage.
    Get nearly quarter of a million written off.
    Baffling.

They have 3 children under the age of 5 in childcare, have given up one of their two cars, their health insurance, 3 investment apartments and their family home and are now renting another property.

In total they have relinquished 4 properties and while their 100k gross income may seem high- when childcare is taken into the equation- their NET income could well be under 30k per annum........

Do the sums.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

They have 3 children under the age of 5 in childcare, have given up one of their two cars, their health insurance, 3 investment apartments and their family home and are now renting another property.

In total they have relinquished 4 properties and while their 100k gross income may seem high- when childcare is taken into the equation- their NET income could well be under 30k per annum........

Do the sums.

and there is noway that 4 properties had only 400k outstanding in debt. People need to think before they type

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭camel jockey

Sure the single mothers have been living for free decades now, logn before Enda Kenny and the current government came to power.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

You do (have one), its called the PRTB............

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Sure the single mothers have been living for free decades now, logn before Enda Kenny and the current government came to power.

Complete nonsense. Never mind that they pay VAT on everything they buy like the rest of us, most of their money goes directly back into the (local) economy.

Plus, despite perceptions like the above, most of them aren't collecting hundreds per week in "free" money either. I'm not saying those people don't exist but lazy stereotyping like this really annoys me.

As for Enda Kenny and co .. less said about them the better really!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

What are the long-term implications (if any) for those who decide to stop paying their mortgages? Will it come back to bite them eventually?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

New FAQ in from Fiachra in D4.

I recently heard that if I know someone in the bank that I don't have to go to court at all?

That's RIGHT!
    The banks are making plenty of deals and debts write downs that don't hit the news. That's right, no repossession and a straight transfer of your debt to the states balance sheet!!!

The banks are under no obligation to publicise these secret debt write downs - They call it "commercially sensitive" see PTSB for example.
    The state actually set targets for banks to do this to help "unsustainable mortgages" i.e. people in genuine need of assistance.
    But with that kind of power - do you think the bankers will help struggling householders or instead look after their own family and friends ;)

So - if you lost your boll*x in the bust and play golf with a banker - YOU too can avail of this super special promotion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

This thread is in dire need of an update

• Advertisement

Here is one of the satisfied customers!

She has managed to get 100k written of a property that isn't even her Principle Primary Residence!
    This special lady has nabbed this offer through a few crocodile tears and manages to retain her two holidays a year and her designer clothes whilst laughing at the rest of you paying your mortgage!

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/alls-fair-when-it-comes-to-love-war-and-nabbing-yourself-a-big-fat-writedown-30117091.html

So why are you still paying!!! Stop paying that mortgage now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Report I. The Sindo saying that the people most likely to get a debt write off are those who bought €1m+ homes at the height of the boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

utterly depressing stuff... f*ckn joke the government are complicit in this..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

Zamboni wrote: »
    Here is one of the satisfied customers!

She has managed to get 100k written of a property that isn't even her Principle Primary Residence!
    This special lady has nabbed this offer through a few crocodile tears and manages to retain her two holidays a year and her designer clothes whilst laughing at the rest of you paying your mortgage!

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/alls-fair-when-it-comes-to-love-war-and-nabbing-yourself-a-big-fat-writedown-30117091.html

So why are you still paying!!! Stop paying that mortgage now!!!
    She could still afford designer clothes, fine food, underfloor heating and two holidays a year. Indeed, she could even have kept up with the bank's punitive variable rate payment schedule for years to come. But by then her nest egg, half a lifetime of slogging in the making, would have been whittled away to almost nothing. With little prospect of things improving and already smarting from having her dream home drowning in negative equity, she wasn't about to let that happen.

Seriously? :eek: I wonder if this story is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Seriously? :eek: I wonder if this story is true.

Are you surprised that this is happening...wait until debt forgiveness really gets going:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

jay0109 wrote: »
    Are you surprised that this is happening...wait until debt forgiveness really gets going:(

Designer clothes? Cannot believe someone would buy designer clothes and get debt forgiveness, that is actually ridiculous if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mrwhite2

So conductor tell them to down size or let them rent. Really mad that people make out these poor people who would be forced to leave their 400k house would be dumped onto the horrible rental market or the street. Welcome to my world and that of all others who didn't buy in boom and can't get houses now due to artificially high prices and no mortgages. If they have 3 kids under 5 surely in a few years they go to school and childcare cost drops on they still have 200k wages

AIB up the Offer!!!

AIB are now SLASHING interest rates if you don't pay your mortgage.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2014/0324/604327-aib-interest-rate/

Who is paying for this?

AIB will charge all new First Time Buyers constantly rising interest rates.
    So the next generation will pay for your mistakes!!!
    You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Marchbride

It amazes me.. We went 'sale agreed' on a house supposedly owned by the banks only for the sale to fall flat on its face. The bank (AIB), pulled out of the sale giving their customer two weeks to pay his outstanding debt only to actually write off the outstanding mortgage. And wouldn't you know that their customer is now renting out this property!!!! Blood boiling bullsh*t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Marchbride wrote: »
    It amazes me.. We went 'sale agreed' on a house supposedly owned by the banks only for the sale to fall flat on its face. The bank (AIB), pulled out of the sale giving their customer two weeks to pay his outstanding debt only to actually write off the outstanding mortgage. And wouldn't you know that their customer is now renting out this property!!!! Blood boiling bullsh*t

Contact your TD - until some proper noise about the impact of write offs and the banks actions (or inactions) is made, us plebs will remain at the bottom of the cliff

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement