Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Players Championship Finals

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Delighted, well done MvG!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭rambojon

hes great value at 4s for the worlds...cant see that lasting...simply too good in that form.. and great to see some1 put it up to phil and not afraid to give him GOOD BEATING. WELL DONE MVG.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

rambojon wrote: »
    hes great value at 4s for the worlds...cant see that lasting...simply too good in that form.. and great to see some1 put it up to phil and not afraid to give him GOOD BEATING. WELL DONE MVG.

One thing about MvG is he doesn't seem to suffer nerves in moments you'd expect the average player to feel the heat. He's not as consistent as Taylor but I think he's always a genuine threat to him because he really doesn't fear him at all, unlike pretty much every other player.

You often see players give interviews saying that they want Taylor in the final (Barney on a few occasions for example), but they're never really convincing. I was totally convinced when MvG said in his post semi-final interview when he said he wanted Taylor in the final.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭rambojon

One thing about MvG is he doesn't seem to suffer nerves in moments you'd expect the average player to feel the heat. He's not as consistent as Taylor but I think he's always a genuine threat to him because he really doesn't fear him at all, unlike pretty much every other player.

You often see players give interviews saying that they want Taylor in the final (Barney on a few occasions for example), but they're never really convincing. I was totally convinced when MvG said in his post semi-final interview when he said he wanted Taylor in the final.

I didnt see tonights match.. was taylor up to his usual tricks or did he take his beating like a man.. usually he upsets his opponent if he getting a beating or trys some dirty move to put him off.. will be interesting to see how this rivalry develops as taylor must fear mvg as new kid in town.. and he must know mvg doesn't fear him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I didnt see tonights match.. was taylor up to his usual tricks or did he take his beating like a man.. usually he upsets his opponent if he getting a beating or trys some dirty move to put him off.. will be interesting to see how this rivalry develops as taylor must fear mvg as new kid in town.. and he must know mvg doesn't fear him.

To an extent there was little Taylor could do as MVG ambushed him - Taylor was cruising at 6-4 (and throwing first) at the second break and had been winning legs comfortably whereas MVG had been just about holding his own throw a few times.
    Then they came back from the break and before you could blink it was 9-6 MVG.

Taylor was very pally with him afterwards, putting him in the joke headlock and bigging him up in the interview. Hopefully MVG doesn't become 'matey' with him which I think is an error Lewis has made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Agree with you all, he definitely isn't afraid of Taylor like pretty much every other player on tour.

He should keep him at arms length, Taylor knows he can't intimidate him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Early on Taylor had a dart at bull for the leg with MvG waiting on a big finish but he hit 18 to leave 32 instead as if saying to MvG that he didn't fancy him to make the finish, which he didn't.

Once MvG started banging them in Phil had no response and he still looked a bit shell-shocked in the post match interview. I'm not sure if that was due to the loss or the miserarable silver plate he got for the runners up spot and he brought that fact to the attention of the Cash converters person there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭shockframe

To an extent there was little Taylor could do as MVG ambushed him - Taylor was cruising at 6-4 (and throwing first) at the second break and had been winning legs comfortably whereas MVG had been just about holding his own throw a few times.
    Then they came back from the break and before you could blink it was 9-6 MVG.

Taylor was very pally with him afterwards, putting him in the joke headlock and bigging him up in the interview. Hopefully MVG doesn't become 'matey' with him which I think is an error Lewis has made.

MVG doesnt strike me as being the smartest player around which is a major help to him against Taylor. I know he can speak english but coming from a different language is also a help against Taylor aswell.

The likes of Whitlock, Hamilton and Painter all get sucked into the hype about him and all dance to his tune during a match.thats less likely to work with a dutch player like MVG.

I wouldnt include Lewis in that category of whitlock et al because he at least plays his best against Taylor but has come up short against him.Lewis was mentored by Taylor so there is still some respect due possibly.

Delighted Taylor was beaten.Terrible response to Matt Smiths interview on ITV afterwards.

He wasnt in too much of hurry to sign the board this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭buster180

Thought it was bad form slagging of the runners up trophy he got. I would imagine that Cash Converters aren’t too impressed. Also telling the interviewer to shut up was bad even if he was joking. Taylor is a very bad looser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

he is a classless man end off,nasty piece of work when things aint going for him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement