Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

slatterys pub

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Publicans have to buy direct from the distillers or distributors. Prices are different for pubs then for supermarkets, especially pan-European wide ones who can buy in huge bulk. It is like comparing a newsagents to Amazon, for gods sake.

Also, the likes of Diagio sell Guinness cheaper to the pubs in the UK than here in Ireland where it is brewed. You will probably need to ask Diagio why that is, but Wetherspoons will be able to charge less as they are a large chain buying direct from UK breweries. it is quite obvious that a small pub in Dublin is not going to have the same pull as a chain with over 300 pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

h2005 wrote: »
    You should name which slatterys pub you are on about so or edit the thread title.
    rubadub wrote: »
    The first post clearly said capel street.
    reprazant wrote: »
    Publicans have to buy direct from the distillers or distributors.
    No they don't, my mate is a barman and all his top selling longnecks come from supermarkets. Of course some breweries might frown upon this, but publicans can do it, certainly not against the law. Markings on bottles like "not for individual sale" have no legal bearing. And they can sell 300ml bottles, just pre-empting the usual myths.

Some people wrongly think there are different duty rates for on/off sales, this is an understandable misconception due to the massive price differences.

Its not just bottles with huge differences either.
    Diageo has agreed to slash the price of Guinness to the company which runs the bars in Dublin’s new Aviva Stadium at Lansdowne Road, after the company threatened to import supplies from Britain.

Irish publicans pay €131.66 for a 50-litre keg of Guinness. The ex-duty price of the same keg to the on-trade in Britain is half that, at £54.15 (€66). Even after payment of Irish duty, the cost of importing Guinness to Ireland would be only €99.33 per keg, a saving of 33 per cent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

I stand corrected. It was a publican who told me that.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Tazz T wrote: »
    You are aware that Lidl has overheads too. Employees, trolleys, energy costs, it pays VAT, excise, tax and rates also. Do publicans buy beer from Lidl or do they buy it at the wholesalers where it's cheaper?

Wetherspoons first pub in Ireland will open in April. When they sell the same bottle for €3 or even €4 what will your argument be then?

Wholesalers aren't always cheaper than supermarkets, even for convenience stores can buy a lot of stock cheaper in a supermarket than we can from a wholesaler.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

reprazant wrote: »
    It was a publican who told me that.
    And its usually the publicans trying to convince people that below cost selling in supermarkets is totally common place, but have no evidence to support it.

I think the distributors give additional service, like stackable crates and take away used bottles, the reps would also frown upon it when they might be also supplying kegs, this is what some might mean about "having" to use them. In my friends place they just go down the bottle bank.

• Advertisement
Advertisement