Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

slatterys pub

Options
  • 18-11-2013 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭

Slatterys pub capel street Dublin. 6 euro for a pint bottle of franziskaner wheat beer.a scandalous rip off.id nearly bet on it that they buy them in lidl for 1.89 and sell them for 6.
    No wonder pubs are going out of buisness charging those prices.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

comfortable seat, warm pub, clean glass, - it all costs money. out of €6 almost €2 goes to tax. But sure I suppose you think the staff work in pubs for free, seats are supplied free by furniture companies, ESB doesn't charge them for light and heat and neither does the council charge pubs for rates or landlords charge them for rent.

Lidl will also sell you a cooked and chilled 1/4lb burger in a bun with cheese for about 75c, but do you complain about mcdonalds charging €4?

oh no, the pubs are an easy target, let's whinge about the pubs that we are forcibly pushed into and held on the ground until we buy a drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

sandin wrote: »
    comfortable seat, warm pub, clean glass, - it all costs money. out of €6 almost €2 goes to tax. But sure I suppose you think the staff work in pubs for free, seats are supplied free by furniture companies, ESB doesn't charge them for light and heat and neither does the council charge pubs for rates or landlords charge them for rent.

Lidl will also sell you a cooked and chilled 1/4lb burger in a bun with cheese for about 75c, but do you complain about mcdonalds charging €4?

oh no, the pubs are an easy target, let's whinge about the pubs that we are forcibly pushed into and held on the ground until we buy a drink.

What a load of bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

crazygeryy wrote: »
    What a load of bull****.

Which part?

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    Which part?

I think it's bs that he's defending those kinds of prices. I understand his point about employing people, esb furniture etc all has to be paid for but why do you think half the country is drinking at home. Because pubs in general are ripping people off.
    And to compare it to a burger in lidl v mcdonalds is farcical.
    No matter what way you put it 6 euros for a bottle of beer is a total rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭vandriver

I think it's bs that he's defending those kinds of prices. I understand his point about employing people, esb furniture etc all has to be paid for but why do you think half the country is drinking at home. Because pubs in general are ripping people off.
    No matter what way you put it 6 euros for a bottle of beer is a total rip off.

What would be a reasonable price,taking into account all the huge overheads and tax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Add in insurance, loans, rent, etc.

And after all of that trying to come out with a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Don't be ridiculous we retailers should be selling at cost and running at a loss continually...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

vandriver wrote: »
    What would be a reasonable price,taking into account all the huge overheads and tax.

My suggestion for a reasonable price:

1.99 price in Lidl / Aldi for branded wheat beer.

Less 23% VAT is 1.62

Can the pub buy the bottle for 1.62 ex VAT? I'm not sure...............

Let's assume they can.

Add 2.50 gross profit margin - I think 2.50 per drink is a generous gross profit? Is it?

(1.62 cost + 2.50 gross profit)*1.23 = 5.07 selling price

My suggestion is based on two presumptions:

Can the pub buy the beer at the same cost as Aldi/Lidl - I doubt it?

Is 2.50 gross profit per drink enough - it does seem ok to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

buy them in lidl for 1.89 and sell them for 6.
    That's a pretty low markup compared to the longnecks. Heineken is usually easily got for 75cent a bottle or so
    Why? its very similar in my mind. A better comparison is a cafe selling a bar, or buying it in a multipack in a supermarket -since there is absolutely zero skill or added value to the product, e.g. a BK burger is gong to be better than a lid microwave one. A bottle or bar is the same, or a tube of pringles in a pub.
    Geuze wrote: »
    Less 23% VAT is 1.62

The retailer can buy in lidl and claim vat back, many do this. Many publicans mornonically pay well over the odds to the official distributors, this is where the myth of rife below cost selling comes from -it is a myth, the extent of it anyway. I have never seen back up evidence and asked loads of times. One publican was on saying he pays €35 for 24 bottles of heineken (possibly before vat too). When you hear publicans moaning of below cost selling tey are typically,
    A- morons paying over the odds who actually believe it happens and that all people pay every similar wholesale prices.
    or
    B-Thinks the public are morons who will believe their bullshit claims.

You can easily shop around online before going into dublin, loads of prices are out there. Publicans take advantage of the weird attitude people have to pubs, i.e. they go into this "shop", and rarely enquire about purchase price beforehand, and once heard they rarely refuse the first price even if they do leave after.

I cannot think of any other product like this, i.e. where it is known it often costs a lot, price can vary a lot between retailers, people have a history of moaning about the price, yet they STILL refuse point blank to simply ask the price beforehand.

Your €1.89 bottle is €2.49 in o'briens by the way, and €2.50 in drinkstore. 32% higher price, I imagine you simply know lidl is cheaper by bothering to shop around.

Geuze wrote: »
    My suggestion for a reasonable price:

1.99 price in Lidl / Aldi for branded wheat beer.

Less 23% VAT is 1.62

Let's assume they can.

Add 2.50 gross profit margin - I think 2.50 per drink is a generous gross profit? Is it?

(1.62 cost + 2.50 gross profit)*1.23 = 5.07 selling price

My suggestion is based on two presumptions:

Can the pub buy the beer at the same cost as Aldi/Lidl - I doubt it?

Is 2.50 gross profit per drink enough - it does seem ok to me.

I would have paid 4, 450 ,485. As it was a pint bottle but. I can't believe there are people in here defending that
    price of 6 euros.your either well off or publicans yourselves.
    And comparing it to mcds is rubbish.apples and oranges.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

I wouldn't be too happy about this thread title if I owned the Slattery's in Rathmines.

HansHolzel wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too happy about this thread title if I owned the Slattery's in Rathmines.

You are the only one that has mentioned them. Nothing got to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

Can these threads just stop? Before posting something like this, think 'Supply and Demand'.

If a pub is able to charge €6 for a bottle of beer and get away with it, fair play. It's a business, primary goal is to make a profit. If less people were willing to pay the €6 for the bottle of beer, they would most likely reduce their prices.

Make a boycott thread instead and see if you can get a reasonble backing.

I can't believe there are people in here defending that
    price of 6 euros.your either well off or publicans yourselves.
    Or they know its a fairly typical price in a city centre pub. The only time I buy beer like that is in pubs

And comparing it to mcds is rubbish.apples and oranges.
    Can you explain why? can you think of a better example? What about the tube of pringles example I gave, or tiny packs of peanuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Beer in pubs is getting very expensive alright. I like my craft beers and it's just getting crazy for them now, or crazier I should say. I don't think it's fair to single out a particular pub though.

I'm a big fan of JW Sweetmans (used to be Messrs) on the Quay. 4.50 pints of their own brews. Think it's gonna get a lot of my business in the future.

But I think all you can do is ask the price and if not happy then leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

symbolic wrote: »
    Beer in pubs is getting very expensive alright. I like my craft beers and it's just getting crazy for them now, or crazier I should say. I don't think it's fair to single out a particular pub though.

I'm a big fan of JW Sweetmans (used to be Messrs) on the Quay. 4.50 pints of their own brews. Think it's gonna get a lot of my business in the future.

But I think all you can do is ask the price and if not happy then leave.

The average price of a pint of lager in dublin after 11 pm at the weekend is 5.50 based on my own experience, this would be more than you would have paid during the height of the celtic tiger. Gogarty's in Temble bar charges 7 euro 30 cents for a pint of Kilkenny after 11 pm .. yes its an exception but the overall average is increasing, now considering pubs are closing left right and centre and more people are choosing the Off trade, its quite puzzling that the pubs that do remain open choose to raise their prices year on year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

but why do you think half the country is drinking at home
    I drink at home because of the smoking ban, not the price of drinks. I know which pubs to stay away from, though.
    You are the only one that has mentioned them. Nothing got to do with them.
    Eh, you actually called the tread, "slatterys pub".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

If you don't like the price of a pint, vote with your feet, plenty of pubs out there. 6 quid may be a bit steep in your opinion (mine too).

If a place is too expensive I just go somewhere else. Its not as if Slatterys are the only game in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

Craft beers are expensive in every place, stupid to single out a pub like that

RangeR wrote: »
    I drink at home because of the smoking ban, not the price of drinks. I know which pubs to stay away from, though.

Eh, you actually called the tread, "slatterys pub".

Eh Nothing got to do with slatterys in rathmines !as the post said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

Well with the title of the thread being 'slatterys pub' people are obviously going to think that it is about that particular pub. If you had named the thread 'Pubs charging crazy amounts' and used Slatterys as an example in the description, it would have been different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

What I find interesting is a lot of pubs in the North (i am not sure about the rest of the UK) seem to able to sell Premium/Craft beers with only a small mark up of something like 30 pence. To me thats completely acceptable the product is more expensive to buy but it doesn't justify the mark up some of the pubs down here have in terms of turning even more of a profit of these products.

And I am not talking about Weatherspoons in case people think that!

The first post clearly said capel street. I really hope people are not coming into this forum and reading just the titles and avoiding places, since when you actually read the posts 90% of the time there is no rip off happening at all.
    seem to able to sell Premium/Craft beers with only a small mark up of something like 30 pence
    How did you get their accounting figures?

The likes of guinness, brewed here, is far cheaper in the UK, and I am not talking duty rates or anything.

I also wonder when this bottle was bought? i.e. was it later on when they increase the prices instead of having a cover charge to pay for a late licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Sorry my post should have read:

They appear to be able to get by charging 30 pence or so more than the non premium drinkings such as draft Carlsberg etc. Not 30 pence more than the price they buy the drink at themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

heybaby wrote: »
    The average price of a pint of lager in dublin after 11 pm at the weekend is 5.50 based on my own experience, this would be more than you would have paid during the height of the celtic tiger. Gogarty's in Temble bar charges 7 euro 30 cents for a pint of Kilkenny after 11 pm .. yes its an exception but the overall average is increasing, now considering pubs are closing left right and centre and more people are choosing the Off trade, its quite puzzling that the pubs that do remain open choose to raise their prices year on year.

What pubs do you go to? Any pub I go doesn't up the prices after 11. If you are going to pubs that do that, maybe go to a different pub?

Most of the pubs I go have reduced their prices. They only change when the budget increases cause them to. And that is city centre pubs in Dublin as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

symbolic wrote: »

Have they put the price up? Please tell me no.....
    It was €4 per pint until recently. If they have increased it by 50c I won't be as dead set on heading there on nights out! :(

reprazant wrote: »
    What pubs do you go to? Any pub I go doesn't up the prices after 11.
    Its usually only pubs with late licences. For some reason the government charge for them and so this covers it.
    reprazant wrote: »
    If you are going to pubs that do that, maybe go to a different pub?
    In other threads I have seen people who like this system. The alternative would be a cover charge or slightly higher prices all day long to cover the licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Pubs are expensive to drink in, but aren't they about the social aspect? Meeting friends, watching a match, chatting up girls? How many drinks do you need to do that? If you want to get slaughtered, get 6 Dutch Gold and drink at home.

Or, go to a nice pub, sit and chat with your mates and have a good time. The booze is pricey, sure. But its like wine in a restaurant - being charged 7 euro for a glass, when you can go to Superquinn and buy a really good bottle of wine on special for €8.

I rarely go to the pub. When I do, its to meet friends I haven't seen since the last time we met in the pub. I know its going to be expensive, so I bring enough money with me. 6 euro for a beer is pretty expensive I agree, but its just the way it is. I "vote with my feet" and I don't go out regularly. Then again, I'm not in the "going out" age bracket. ;-)

I used to be in a band and the worst thing was waiting around after soundcheck, you'd have to get a beer. So I used to drive in so I would have an excuse not to spend the money. :-)

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anything here, just pointing it out the way I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

You should name which slatterys pub you are on about so or edit the thread title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

sandin wrote: »

You are aware that Lidl has overheads too. Employees, trolleys, energy costs, it pays VAT, excise, tax and rates also. Do publicans buy beer from Lidl or do they buy it at the wholesalers where it's cheaper?

Wetherspoons first pub in Ireland will open in April. When they sell the same bottle for €3 or even €4 what will your argument be then?

Advertisement