Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help .. Just pryed onto my 13 year old son FB Acc

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

yellow50HX wrote: »
    I don't want to be telling you your business, not a parent of a teenage kid (yet) but if you want to convince him how easy it is to see what's on the net you only need to say that you could view them, just imagine about her side of the thing. If this is on his phone or her phone then anyone can see it, just like you. You say you came across it from your own profile. I am still amazed how many people, mostly adults have personal stuff up on public profiles that anyone can see.

Anyway you can try approaching it from the innocent/ignorant of internet side rather then saying you were prying. Just remind that anyone in his school can see that too and that it could be used to bully him.

Jesus life was so much more simple before camera phones and the internet.

They never mentioned that they could see it from their profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Miss_diagnosis

OP I Feel your pain. I too have a 13 year old and a couple of weeks ago I found a condom in his wallet. he swore it was his mates (how often I used that one myself) and after sneaking a read of his instant messages with his friends turns out he was actually telling the truth.But it just seems to be one thing after another with him lately. He too seems so sweet and innocent. awkward position your in but I don't think banning the internet or turning off the wifi (I assume he has a phone he can access internet on anyway) is your solution.Confront him and tell him you seen what was on his facebook.most likely he will be so embarrassed he wont do it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

OP I Feel your pain. I too have a 13 year old and a couple of weeks ago I found a condom in his wallet. he swore it was his mates (how often I used that one myself) and after sneaking a read of his instant messages with his friends turns out he was actually telling the truth.But it just seems to be one thing after another with him lately. He too seems so sweet and innocent. awkward position your in but I don't think banning the internet or turning off the wifi (I assume he has a phone he can access internet on anyway) is your solution.Confront him and tell him you seen what was on his facebook.most likely he will be so embarrassed he wont do it again.
    Fair play to him for been sensible, teens are gonna have sex but at least he is using protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

As long as his face isn't in the picture I don't see any problem with it, sure I was doing the same at his age

• Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭endacl

masti123 wrote: »
    As long as his face isn't in the picture I don't see any problem with it, sure I was doing the same at his age

At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, well of course you don't see anything wrong with it if you were doing the same thing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

As Spurious said....have a chat with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Am I the only one that thinks he did nothing wrong??

You should be glad

Even if morally you don't disagree, surely you can see that the possibility of a criminal record/sex offender registers etc are not good? Also, you probably are in a small minority of people that don't realise why this is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

I'd say you'll have to be honest, tell him due to this incident you'll want to check his Facebook and if he doesn't like that he can stop using it. Tell him if he doesn't give you access to his Facebook account then he can't use the internet at all. And also give him a talk about safe sex and the consequences of having a child at a young age, as even if you can stop him from having sex now, it will happen in the next few years anyway. At his age, he almost definitely knows why he shouldn't do it, but he's still doing it anyway. When I was that age, I did similar things and my only fear was one of my parents or family members finding out despite knowing what I was doing wrong and why I shouldn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

I as a teenager myself can understand what your son's mindset is. I also know that at 13 I was able to bypass most of the blocks that were on the national school laptops when I went back there during the Summer. One thing you can do which is inconspicuous is to simply take the fuse out of the plug for the wifi modem. There will be no electricity to it and it's the last thing that anybody would think of.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Just stopping the wifi is not the way to deal with this. You need to sit down and have a serious talk. Children very often do not realise that once something is on the internet, that it can and does go anywhere. Even taking down the pictures doesn't mean you eliminate them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Disconnecting the wifi is akin to telling a child to never cross a road. It's better to show them how to be safe than to leave them ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

I posted about what I thought was the best way to turn off the Wifi if that is the route the OP wants to go down. I didn't talk about talking to the child as I'm only 17 and not actually a parent. I totally think that it should be done, especially with what has been sent between the two of them, but I simply couldn't say how.

Advertisement