Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting salary for pharmacist

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭usersame

Interns ≠ Doctors... thats why the term intern is used. isnt it?

The saying "****e rolls down hill" may help you understand the term intern better

I didn't realise a hospital pharmacist can't transfer to been a supervising pharmacist. How is hospital pharmacy in Ireland anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Xeyn

I've found that generally hospital pharmacists are pretty good and rather helpful. Even in the public sector.
    I worked in a private Dublin hospital as a registrar and I thought the pharmacists were fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Again it's the only profession that I can think of where you can get such a promotion without further education...

It not so much a promotion as doing a different job and taking on a lot of responsibility.
    The position of supervising pharmacist was created by the Pharmacy Act of 2007 and the education to perform that role has always been provided by a pharmacy degree and professional qualification. The additional requirement for three years relevant experience (which many people weren't' happy with at the time) is to ensure that every pharmacy is under the direct personal control of a pharmacist who is not only qualified but has the experience and also the maturity to supervise other staff, accept responsibility and provide leadership. Continuing education is a professional requirement for pharmacists so after three or more years there will be a considerable amount of education clocked up although they may not have acquired a specific formal post-graduate qualification.

The impression may have been given that the salary jumps by 20k overnight, which of course isn't the case. Many people moving into the role of supervising pharmacist have many years experience and may have been earning close to that salary level in their 'support' role, depending on the extent of their duties.

Advertisement