Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting salary for pharmacist

Options
  • 15-11-2013 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I just want to enquire what the going rate is for a newly qualified pharmacist in this day and age of cutbacks - as in yearly salary for a permanent job.

I may need to barter and I need to be in the know!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 TheRingslayer

80k basic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

80k basic

Dream on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

80k basic

You're fookin dreaming!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

80k basic

Half it and you're close

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭palmcut

glut22 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I just want to enquire what the going rate is for a newly qualified pharmacist in this day and age of cutbacks - as in yearly salary for a permanent job.

A newly qualified pharmacist can expect between 32k and 35k per annum.
    Over the years this will increase. The days of 80k are long gone.
    An experienced pharmacist (15 years) who also manages the full business aspects of the pharmacy in addition to working as a pharmacist can expect around 70k to 75k per annum.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

glut22 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Starting salary for an hospital pharmacist is €31,831. Check out Page 18
    http://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/Benefits_Services/pay/July%202013.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I don't know where some of the figures are coming from in this thread, but anyway, 40-45k starting as a support pharmacist. After 3 years you can apply for supervising positions which start from 65k+

I don't know where some of the figures are coming from in this thread, but anyway, 40-45k starting as a support pharmacist. After 3 years you can apply for supervising positions which start from 65k+

Last year I'd have agreed with you, figures I've been hearing this year are starting at 35k and supervising starting at 55k

You're dreaming too. Those days are gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Like everything else it comes down to supply and demand.
    Demand is falling as cutbacks mean the manta is 'doing more with less' and 'less' means less staff, especially less of the most expensive staff.
    Supply is increasing. Not only are there 150+ Irish graduates joining the register each year there are more than that joining via the EU route. Over half of pharmacists are now under 35 which gives you some idea of the influx over the last few years.
    Angel Delight is close to the mark but remember those figures are often based on a 45hr working week including late nights, weekends and bank holidays and for management roles it is usually dependent on reaching certain targets.

You're dreaming too. Those days are gone.

I have friends that have been offered the kind of money I've mentioned in the past months.

30K would only be about €12 an hour. I wouldn't work for that, I don't think many would. A quick look through my recent emails and there have been a few support roles going for around the €45k mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Xeyn

Last year I'd have agreed with you, figures I've been hearing this year are starting at 35k and supervising starting at 55k

20k bump after 3 years? not bad.

Mod Snip, post deleted

I actually think that people don't realise how ****ing difficult doing a pharmacist's job is.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭usersame

Abby19 wrote: »
    Starting salary for an hospital pharmacist is €31,831. Check out Page 18
    http://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/Benefits_Services/pay/July%202013.pdf

That's more than a doctor!

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Xeyn wrote: »

Is there any further qualification or study required besides 3 years practise? Does the practise have to be clinical?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Mod Snip, post deleted

But if you could train a monkey to be a pharmacist, you could get paid a lot more as a top end animal trainer.

Is there any further qualification or study required besides 3 years practise? Does the practise have to be clinical?

3 years practice which the PSI say should be in the area you are going to be practicing in but I don't know how much they police it.

It is a big jump after three years but it's a massive jump in responsibility, more than people realise I think

3 years practice which the PSI say should be in the area you are going to be practicing in but I don't know how much they police it.
    I can't think of any other profession with a similar pay increase that doesn't require an increase in qualifications at the same time? And for it to not even be properly regulated?
    It is a big jump after three years but it's a massive jump in responsibility, more than people realise I think
    What is the difference between the roles? (I'm aware of the importance of pharmacists ensuring that doctors don't poison their patients, formulating things like chemos, maintaining stocks & records of controlled substances etc - I'm not part of the "trained monkey could do it" brigade)

Xeyn wrote: »
    3 years practice which the PSI say should be in the area you are going to be practicing in but I don't know how much they police it...

Don't forget, that what was said was... (my emphasis)
    ...After 3 years you can apply for supervising positions...

You won't necessarily get them. There's only one supervising pharmacist role per pharmacy. So that's quite a bit less than 1-in-3 pharmacists are supervising, I think, and perhaps 1-in-4 (not sure exactly what pharmacist and pharmacy numbers are at the moment, but it's in the ballpark of 6,000 and 1,700).

As AD says, your 3 years practice has to be in the relevant area of practice: you could have 25 years experience as a hospital pharmacist, and you would not be allowed act as supervising pharmacist in a community pharmacy. Each year every pharmacist must re-register, and as part of the process you have to sign a declaration of what area you practice in. If you've been ticking the 'Hospital' box for 25 years, the PSI won't accept your application to be the SvP for a community pharmacy. Also, as part of the pharmacy's contract with the HSE, a copy of the SvP's CV must be provided to the HSE. They won't accept it either, if there isn't the requisite experience shown.

• Advertisement

That is indeed a good point locum. Absolutely no guarantee of getting a supervising job after 3 years.

What is the difference between the roles? (I'm aware of the importance of pharmacists ensuring that doctors don't poison their patients, formulating things like chemos, maintaining stocks & records of controlled substances etc - I'm not part of the "trained monkey could do it" brigade)

A supervising position means you are responsible for everything that goes on in the pharmacy from ensuring regulatory requirements are being met to ensuring compliance with SOPs, managing stock, managing the business itself, sorting out day to day things like rotas etc. The buck stops with you and your paid for that.

So there is one supervising pharmacist per pharmacy? Even in large clinical pharmacies? Are there grades above supervisor in the pharmacy?

Again it's the only profession that I can think of where you can get such a promotion without further education...

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

Again it's the only profession that I can think of where you can get such a promotion without further education...

Seriously?? Most professions give promotions based on experience and not just further education.

Minier81 wrote: »
    Seriously?? Most professions give promotions based on experience and not just further education.

Incremental pay increases aren't promotions, it's the same job you're just more experienced at it. Pharmacists don't get increments?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭palmcut

Don't forget, that what was said was... (my emphasis)

You won't necessarily get them. There's only one supervising pharmacist role per pharmacy. So that's quite a bit less than 1-in-3 pharmacists are supervising, I think, and perhaps 1-in-4 (not sure exactly what pharmacist and pharmacy numbers are at the moment, but it's in the ballpark of 6,000 and 1,700).

As AD says, your 3 years practice has to be in the relevant area of practice: you could have 25 years experience as a hospital pharmacist, and you would not be allowed act as supervising pharmacist in a community pharmacy. Each year every pharmacist must re-register, and as part of the process you have to sign a declaration of what area you practice in. If you've been ticking the 'Hospital' box for 25 years, the PSI won't accept your application to be the SvP for a community pharmacy. Also, as part of the pharmacy's contract with the HSE, a copy of the SvP's CV must be provided to the HSE. They won't accept it either, if there isn't the requisite experience shown.

5,047 pharmacists and 1,809 registered pharmacies.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

Incremental pay increases aren't promotions, it's the same job you're just more experienced at it. Pharmacists don't get increments?

Obviously incremental pay is not a promotion. A change in "grade" is a promotion, and in the private or public sectors a change in grade is not as straight forward as completing further education but more likely to be based on relevant experience and skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭masterboy123

for doctor its 38K
    usersame wrote: »
    That's more than a doctor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

for doctor its 38K

Intern start is €30,257.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Interns ≠ Doctors... thats why the term intern is used. isnt it?
    fewtins wrote: »
    Intern start is €30,257.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Interns ≠ Doctors... thats why the term intern is used. isnt it?

Interns are absolutely doctors. The only difference is that they have provisional registration with the medical council rather than permamnent registration. They are fully qualified doctors, entitled to do pretty much anything that a Senior House Officers (the next grade up) is entitled to do. Its similar to a lawyer getting a new job and being on probation for a year; they are a lawyer all through that year despite being on probation.

The widespread misunderstanding as to the status of NCHDS/'juinor' doctors etc really grinds my gears especiallly when the answers are only a google away.....

Advertisement