Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Craft Beers & Home Brewing in Waterford

Options
  • 13-11-2013 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39,518 ✭✭✭✭

Where to find and recommendations for craft beers in Waterford have surfaced now on a few threads. I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread on the topic to stop others from going very off topic.

We are very lucky to have in my opinion one of the very best Irish Craft Beers brewed right here in Waterford, Metalman Pale Ale. They also do other beers including some great seasonals, a favourite of mine was the Windjammer but I believe not currently available anymore

The numbers of pubs stocking craft beers are increasing steadily. Some have extensive ranges - Phil Grimes in Johnstown a personal preference but Revolution and Oskars also have great ranges. Also a lot of pubs in town stock the afore mentioned Metalman

Off Licence wise my favourite is the Ferrybank Carry Out where Ashley stocks a huge range of craft beers

Also leaving this thread open to home brew suggestions and where to get kits etc as its something I'd be interested in getting into

There are plenty more Waterford craft beers like Helvic and Dungarvan but these can be discussed more on the thread as we go.

Recommend giving some of these a go though, great taste and support local industry...hic!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Not sure the interest is there tbh

For the record..:moonbeam is/was a savage pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Loves the king goblin in grimes!! Theres a bottled stout aswell, master??cant remember, its a deep chocolaty stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Offie wise, Superquinnvalue has a pretty decent craft beer selection. I've missed the Sierra Nevada Torpedo since leaving the States, tis memories in a bottle.

I've not seen any home brew shops around, but Home Brew West delivers nationwide for a fiver. If you can stomach putting up with the dour faced bitch in the shop (if you need to ring or call in) then you're golden.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,518 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Superquinn has an okay selection actually, best of the Supermarkets for sure and been running that 6 for the price of 5 offer for a long time now. Still like to support the local offies that run a pretty big risk getting in a wide range of beers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

World Wide Wines have a superb collection; even canned craft beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

There's a man near the old infirmary that supplies the home brew kits. Tesco's discount shop in Poleberry had a load of kits at half price a couple of months back. My husband goes through phases of making it.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

deisemum wrote: »
    There's a man near the old infirmary that supplies the home brew kits. Tesco's discount shop in Poleberry had a load of kits at half price a couple of months back. My husband goes through phases of making it.

Thats dave that used to have "favorites" on the quays..
    You need to call him if your looking for homebrew gear..

As for homebrewing, we have a group on Facebook with 133 members.. it started as a waterford based group, but then others started to join so we renamed it to HomeBrew Ireland.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/219154741504680/?fref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

revolution always have a good range of craft in,the 3 bottles for a Tenner is a crackin deal. i visit waterford every fortnight and it seems every pub sells tuborg,what's the deal with that?

very pub sells tuborg,what's the deal with that?

Broke ass Students need broke ass beer as far as the pubs are concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

homolumo wrote: »

Brewdog yum yum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I was in Revolution one night recently for some techno, walked up to the bar and asked for a pint of Metalman Pale Ale and the bar man thanked me for supporting local beer. For the rest of the night every time I went to get a pint he pulled a Metalman as soon as he saw me approaching without even having to ask. I thought it was a simple but lovely touch.

revolution always have a good range of craft in,the 3 bottles for a Tenner is a crackin deal. i visit waterford every fortnight and it seems every pub sells tuborg,what's the deal with that?

Tuborg is a diageo product isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

wet-paint wrote: »
    Offie wise, Superquinnvalue has a pretty decent craft beer selection. I've missed the Sierra Nevada Torpedo since leaving the States, tis memories in a bottle.

I've not seen any home brew shops around, but Home Brew West delivers nationwide for a fiver. If you can stomach putting up with the dour faced bitch in the shop (if you need to ring or call in) then you're golden.

you can get torpedo in Superquinn usually. to be fair to superquinn, they stock Dungarvan and have a good selection of good quality craft beers, Sierra, Duvel, UK stuff etc.

I know its mentioned already but the 2 lads (one Irish and one Eastern European i guess) in world wide wines on Dunmore road are extremely well versed, the Eastern Europe lad especially well versed on the foreign beers there.

For the record..:moonbeam is/was a savage pint.

Cant wait, gonna walk to Oskars to try that tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭dzilla

Loves the king goblin in grimes!! Theres a bottled stout aswell, master??cant remember, its a deep chocolaty stout.

Master McGrath Stout

Max Powers wrote: »

I'm not sure if they still have it. Grimes definitely do but they might be on their last keg at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Tuborg is a diageo product isn't it.

That p**s water has no place in a thread about beer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Plenty of Waterford homebrewers in the National Homebrew Club. http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/

Max Powers wrote: »

I dont think they have it, do you mean smokescreen?

• Advertisement

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    That p**s water has no place in a thread about beer.

Thats why i pointed out it's a Diageo product!

I'm not sure if they still have it. Grimes definitely do but they might be on their last keg at this stage...

noooooooooo, someone on here said to me that its there. Will head down there to check it out. Sure can always have a different metalman if not there, bummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

homolumo wrote: »

Has won best Off Licence in Munster and Ireland for a reason. Amazing place.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭curly.bert

Here's a question: does the beer a pub stocks influence your decision to drink there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

curly.bert wrote: »
    Here's a question: does the beer a pub stocks influence your decision to drink there?

It does to me, and that's why part of me regrets ever beginning the craft beer journey :) I find myself pretty limited in places to go as its too tough to go back to Heineken or any of that now

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

old gregg wrote: »
    I was in Revolution one night recently for some techno, walked up to the bar and asked for a pint of Metalman Pale Ale and the bar man thanked me for supporting local beer. For the rest of the night every time I went to get a pint he pulled a Metalman as soon as he saw me approaching without even having to ask. I thought it was a simple but lovely touch.

there seem to be a love of craft beer in Revolution. over heard the staff planning a "craft" night out last week......wished i could go!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,518 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

curly.bert wrote: »

Yes.

Im meeting one of the lads for some craft beers tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

Downes has a small selection of German beers which are nice with some no 9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

On a side note, 2 years ago i got a Mr Beer kit for Christmas. Its great fun, just make sure to put it somewhere you dont use much like a garden shed when its fermenting otherwise your house will smell like a brewery.

Advertisement