Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV License Question.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,624 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

WRONG.
    u cannot be held liable for a tv licence, if u are not living in the house.the new tenants/landlord have to pay for the licence.

I think you'll find the opposite- just because someone who didn't pay their tv license at an address goes and moves somewhere else it doesn't mean they have no longer committed an offence. By your logic a murderer could just move house and suddenly the charges would be dropped- not very logical, is it? The OP was asked by the inspector to produce a license, s/he couldn't and is therefore in breach of the 2009 Broadcasting Act.

The point I was making to the OP was that in practice the An Post license inspectors don't pursue cases where someone has moved house, mainly because it is too much hassle for them to find out the new address and pursue it. That's not to say they can't because they can, moving house after you have committed an offence does not absolve you of that offence, if they wanted to they could and maybe at some stage in the future they will.

In any case the 2012 amendment to the Broadcasting Act allows for the government to get data from UPC and Sky for the first time. This is certain to mean that apartment dwellers can no longer hide behind the security of the ground floor door as once An Post know they have a cable subscription then all they have to do is fire out one or two warning letters followed by a summons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Hey folks,

Sorry to jump in on a related query but didn't want to be creating duplicate threads on the same issue.

Our situation:
    - Moved into a place in September
    - There was a large PC monitor left in the living room (could be seen through the window) for a week or 2 while stuff was moved into rooms.
    - One of the existing housemates said there hasn't been a TV in the house for at least a year (he watches stuff on laptop).
    - We started getting TV license warning letters about 2 weeks after moving in and we think it has to be related to the computer monitor.
    - A warning letter keeps arriving every month around the same date. Latest one is dated 13/12/2013 and says:
    "An inspector visited the address recently but he/she observed evidence of a Television set on the premises on that date".
    - Nobody has had any dealings with a license inspector.
    - There's not TV in the house at all so how they were able to observe a TV from the window beats me.

Are we ok to just keep ignoring the letter (they're just addressed to the occupier not a persons name)?

I'm afraid off sending back a letter saying there's no TV in case they summons me. I'm moving out in March so don't want this rubbish following me around.

I assume leaving a name off the returned letter would be OK?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

KerranJast wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Sorry to jump in on a related query but didn't want to be creating duplicate threads on the same issue.

Our situation:
    - Moved into a place in September
    - There was a large PC monitor left in the living room (could be seen through the window) for a week or 2 while stuff was moved into rooms.
    - One of the existing housemates said there hasn't been a TV in the house for at least a year (he watches stuff on laptop).
    - We started getting TV license warning letters about 2 weeks after moving in and we think it has to be related to the computer monitor.
    - A warning letter keeps arriving every month around the same date. Latest one is dated 13/12/2013 and says:
    "An inspector visited the address recently but he/she observed evidence of a Television set on the premises on that date".
    - Nobody has had any dealings with a license inspector.
    - There's not TV in the house at all so how they were able to observe a TV from the window beats me.

Are we ok to just keep ignoring the letter (they're just addressed to the occupier not a persons name)?

I'm afraid off sending back a letter saying there's no TV in case they summons me. I'm moving out in March so don't want this rubbish following me around.

I assume leaving a name off the returned letter would be OK?

Thanks.

Yes, just send the letter stating there is no tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Im not really sure why you think ignoring it is the best option? Send back a letter stating that there is no TV in the property, and if they want to argue against it then let them. The inspector can say they saw whatever they like; if they cant prove it then it doesnt mean a whole lot.

Advertisement