Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV License Question.

Options
  • 12-11-2013 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I moved into a house with 4 other housemates in September, we got a very vague call to the house within a few weeks and this man asked for my name and told me to get a TV license, it was the most vague call ever he never gave me any sort of letter of nothing and we paid no attention to it as we don't even use the TV, only stream movies/tv via our laptops.

Today I received a letter to me ( name spelt wrong ) that I had seven days to pay for a license etc etc but the thing is i'm moving out next month.

Should I just pay for the license yet I'm going to be moving out and that we don't even use the TV or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

if you don't have a tv then you do not need to pay. If you have one but do use it, then one needs to be paid for the house. Personally if you are moving out in a few weeks I would not pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Ill put it this way; if you live in a house that has a TV (even if its not currently being used as a TV) then you need to pay for a TV license.

The license inspector however is not going to make phone calls to you demanding that its paid in a week (certainly not that Ive ever seen anyway), so I have no idea what thats about.

Tbh I doubt theyll chase you if you dont pay it (unless its gotten to the stage where they have issued a court summons), but if you are moving to a new property then you will need a license either way, and they can be transferred, so it might be as easy to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

djimi wrote: »
    Tbh I doubt theyll chase you if you dont pay it (unless its gotten to the stage where they have issued a court summons), but if you are moving to a new property then you will need a license either way, and they can be transferred, so it might be as easy to pay it.
    .... but the new house the OP moves into might already have one!

Minier81 wrote: »
    .... but the new house the OP moves into might already have one!

A TV license? It belongs to the home owner does it not? I dont think you can move into a house with a pre-existing license.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

A TV license? It belongs to the home owner does it not? I dont think you can move into a house with a pre-existing license.

You can move into a shared house that already has an existing license paid for by the other tenants in the house share.

• Advertisement

True.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 10xfrank

So what should I do? All 5 of us are moving out in mid December and 5 new tenants are coming in

Also I won't need a TV license for my new accom so I don't particulary want to pay for a license for the new tenants.

Who was the letter from? Was it the first letter that you have recieved in relation to the TV license? Usually you would get (I think) two warning letters before they start putting deadlines etc on you.

I dont want to say ignore it without knowing the nature of the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

10xfrank wrote: »
    So what should I do? All 5 of us are moving out in mid December and 5 new tenants are coming in

Also I won't need a TV license for my new accom so I don't particulary want to pay for a license for the new tenants.

In that case don't pay it. Contact the correct department and advsie them you do not have a tv or a device that can access TV at that property and furthermore you are moving out next month they will update their records and that will be that.

if you don't advise them you will end up with a court summons so you will need to.

On a sidenote you will get hit for the broadcasting charge in the new property anyway so not having a TV wont let you dodge thart charge going forward.

Who was the letter from? Was it the first letter that you have recieved in relation to the TV license? Usually you would get (I think) two warning letters before they start putting deadlines etc on you.

I dont want to say ignore it without knowing the nature of the letter.

First letter yes, says I have 7 days to pay or there's going to be legal proceedings.

He called first around 5 weeks ago, asking my name and told me to get a tv license I just nodded

• Advertisement

Ah it was a license inspector that called in person, was it? Sorry, I thought you meant you got a phone call.

If they have your details (a typo on your name wont matter) then you are going to either have to pay it or get in contact with them to plead your case that you should not a license. Did the inspector see your TV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

In about 5-6 months they will send a summons. If you no longer live there at that point I dont think there is anything they can do.

Ah it was a license inspector that called in person, was it? Sorry, I thought you meant you got a phone call.

If they have your details (a typo on your name wont matter) then you are going to either have to pay it or get in contact with them to plead your case that you should not a license. Did the inspector see your TV?

They have my details yes but I am moving out in a months time and new tenants are coming in, why should I have to pay for there license, makes no sense. At the time the inspector came we had a different TV that one of the tenants had brought down but this TV is now gone and the one that came with the house ( that we don't use ) is there now. I don't know if he saw the TV, he didn't ask if we had one.
    In about 5-6 months they will send a summons. If you no longer live there at that point I dont think there is anything they can do.

Are you sure?

Court summons dont usually go away just because you ignore them...

They have my details yes but I am moving out in a months time and new tenants are coming in, why should I have to pay for there license, makes no sense. At the time the inspector came we had a different TV that one of the tenants had brought down but this TV is now gone and the one that came with the house ( that we don't use ) is there now. I don't know if he saw the TV, he didn't ask if we had one.

Youre not paying for their license; youre paying for your license. It belongs to you, not to the property.

If you have a TV at all, even if you dont use it, then you must pay the license. He must have seen it tbh; they cant demand you pay a license fee without good reason.

The bottom line is that legally you have a TV in the property so you must pay the license. You have gotten a warning letter, which if you dont act upon it will become a court summons. You cant ignore a court summons.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,624 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

OP they will likely send another warning letter in due course. When it arrives don't open it and simply write 'No longer at this address' on it and fire it back in the post. They'll update their records and that should be the end of it. But if they skip that step and issue a court summons then you need to deal with it or else there could be a warrant out for your arrest.

Are you sure?

Thats what happen in one place I lived in, they paid a visit in October and in May registered post arrived, the person had moved out so I said so to the postman. Lived there for another 3 months and they made no attempts at contact.
    Court summons dont usually go away just because you ignore them...

Don't know what else the TV licence people can do. They have a name and address, the person moves out so they have no way of contacting the person.

Don't know what else the TV licence people can do. They have a name and address, the person moves out so they have no way of contacting the person.

Do you think that a court summons just disappears?

Do you think that a court summons just disappears?

I have no idea what happens to it, it may not have even been one. All I know is a registered letter came for someone that wasn't me so I didn't accept it. iirc the name was the same as person who was talking to TV licence inspector so just assumed it may have been a summons when I thought about it later in the day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Why do you imagine you won't need a TV licence for your new accommodation?
    If you have internet access, you will need a TV licence, from the 1st of January- even if there is no TV in the house- or you have a TV that is incapable of getting RTE. If you think you won't need a licence- I'd be very careful.

Also- An Post seem to have gone into overdrive checking for licences- I've seen 7 or 8 inspectors in the past 6 weeks- one of my neighbours is actively avoiding them- its a bit of a loosing battle.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

I have no idea what happens to it, it may not have even been one. All I know is a registered letter came for someone that wasn't me so I didn't accept it. iirc the name was the same as person who was talking to TV licence inspector so just assumed it may have been a summons when I thought about it later in the day.

u wont get a summons.u will get loads of letters etc .eventually the tv inspector will call to the house,and ask for you,the new tenants will say u ave moved out.the inspector will ask them their name,and ask them to produce a licence
    at that stage it has absolutely nothing to do with you.(why wud u need a licence for a house that u dont live in?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

Muahahaha wrote: »
    OP they will likely send another warning letter in due course. When it arrives don't open it and simply write 'No longer at this address' on it and fire it back in the post. They'll update their records and that should be the end of it. But if they skip that step and issue a court summons then you need to deal with it or else there could be a warrant out for your arrest.
    WRONG.
    u cannot be held liable for a tv licence, if u are not living in the house.the new tenants/landlord have to pay for the licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Are you sure?

You aren't paying for their license, you are paying for the TV you had and the TV you still have. Either get rid of the TV and contact them to say you have no TV or pay the license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I could be wrong here.. But I'm pretty sure whoever has supplied the tv is responsible for the licence? I think this is one of the reasons landlords don't usually supply tvs in furnished properties? If it is the landlords tv then I would think you are not responsible for the licence? If it is one of your flat mates tvs then again you are not responsible. As I said... I could be wrong on this point but this is the info I have received before.

Obviously is it is a houseshare and people are all using the tv then the decent thing to do would be all pay an equal share for the licence. However, if you are moving out of the property... There is no way I'd be paying or contributing for a tv licence!

If I were you I would ring up the number on the letter recieved. Tell them there has been a mistake, you do not own a tv (if the tv is not yours) and you are not the owner of the property. Tell them you are moving out of this property shortly and you will pay for a new licence when you are getting a tv. (which will obviously not happen as the new house should already have a licence). Just my 2 cents.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sligo1 wrote: »
    I could be wrong here.

I'm sorry, you are wrong.

I could be wrong here.. But I'm pretty sure whoever has supplied the tv is responsible for the licence? I think this is one of the reasons landlords don't usually supply tvs in furnished properties? If it is the landlords tv then I would think you are not responsible for the licence? If it is one of your flat mates tvs then again you are not responsible. As I said... I could be wrong on this point but this is the info I have received before.

Obviously is it is a houseshare and people are all using the tv then the decent thing to do would be all pay an equal share for the licence. However, if you are moving out of the property... There is no way I'd be paying or contributing for a tv licence!

If I were you I would ring up the number on the letter recieved. Tell them there has been a mistake, you do not own a tv (if the tv is not yours) and you are not the owner of the property. Tell them you are moving out of this property shortly and you will pay for a new licence when you are getting a tv. (which will obviously not happen as the new house should already have a licence). Just my 2 cents.

The occupier is the person resonsible for the license. It doesnt matter who owns the TV; its the person who is making use of it (or who has it available to them for their use) that has to pay the TV license.

I'm sorry, you are wrong.

Ok fair enough... It's just something that was told to me before. Surely however if there are 4 people living in the house and the tv does not belong to the op the how does the responsibly fall on him to pay the licence? Genuine question here?

The occupier is the person resonsible for the license. It doesnt matter who owns the TV; its the person who is making use of it (or who has it available to them for their use) that has to pay the TV license.

If that's the case then surely the licence inspector should be addressing his letters to the others living in the house also? Doesn't seem right that only one person could be getting a summons for this?

Thanks for your reply btw... Learn something new everyday :)

Ok fair enough... It's just something that was told to me before. Surely however of there are 4 people loving in the house and the tv does not belong to the op the how does the responsibly fall on him to pay the licence? Genuine question here?

Because its in their property. It doesnt matter if you are using the TV as a living room table; the fact that there is a device in the house capable of picking up a TV signal means that the occupiers of the house are liable to pay for a TV license.

• Advertisement

If that's the scale then surely the licence inspector should be addressing his letters to the others living in the house also? Doesn't seem right that only one person could be getting a summons for this?

The OP was the one who was speaking to the license inspector so I guess the letter came to the OP as that was the only name they had.

Advertisement