Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Shocking' Plastic Bag Charge

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Why the fup is it 22c as opposed to 20c or 25c and why are biodegradable bags not exempt or at least charged at a lower rate FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I had bags the fit into the boxes on my bike, worked perfectly as I didn't need to juggle plastic bags to balance out both sides. It's easy just to have a few strong bags stashed under a car seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

In Canada, when you buy a drink in a bottle or can, there is a 5, 10 or 20c charge depending on the size of the container. If you bring them back to a recycling depot you get the deposit back. Why can't they do something like this for bags? Or at least give half the deposit back to encourage people to recycle bags too?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Kondo69 wrote: »
    Culchies and auld ones are the main offenders...

Shame they can't put a levy on people who can't make a decent point without resorting to this kind of shítstirring fúckacting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I had an English lady come into where I was working before, she asked for a bag, I said that's 15c, will that be ok?

She went off on me. Then she set it up very well. She said "In England our government doesn't charge for plastic bags"

I said: "We're not under British rule here any more, sorry"

Ahhhh yeah, that felt great. My last few weeks in retail were amazing, I've often thought about going back into a retail job doing weekend work just to mess with customers until I got fired. @ssholes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

MonaPizza wrote: »
    I see. So charging people for a plastic bag is going to miraculously stop loads of them being dumped in the Pacific by oh-so-ethical recycling companies.
    I see plastic bottles in that pic too. Are you charged extra for your flagon of Coke? I don't see any machines in any supermarkets in this country where you can bring a plastic bottle and get 5c back on it.

So I go to the shop and buy a roll of 30 yards of cling film, a ten-pack of Tayto (which come in another large plastic bag) 6 large plastic bottles of minerals (all held together tightly by a plastic flim), some rashers, sausages, black pud (all in plastic wrappers), a plastic bottle of brown sauce and a plastic bottle of milk for my brekkie........BUT......charging me 1.40 for 2 bags to carry all this sh1t home is somehow going to stop all of it winding up in the damn sea?

Gimme a break.

Ok, so instead of using X number of bags we use Y number of bags. You can still buy and dump all the shyte you want. That's because you're a cunt. And if you want to carry it home in a plastic bag, you can. But you pay 22c for it. Others however will bring reusable bags. Because of this, overall there will be a drop in the amount of waste.

Plus there's one other thing.
    FearDark wrote: »
    No thats illegal. The 22c goes into government coffers...or now probably to Angela Merkel.

the charge is an environmental levy. All the money goes to an environmental fund.

So we have two benefits, less waste and we generate money to help the environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭The Big Smoke

I use Lidl bags Aldi time.

Dunnes only do the 80c bags as they have an ongoing "different" view to that of revenue re the 22c bags.

That's because of this.
    http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Waste/PlasticBags/
    Plastic shopping bags designed for re-use are exempt from the levy provided the retailer charges at least 70 cent for the bag

By charging that much for a bag they don't actually have to pay the levy at all and they manage to make a profit. Those bags probably cost them a pittance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :pac:

And he's dunne

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭The Big Smoke

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooorilliant joke

Thanks.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Shopping's a pain in the hole.

Take stuff off the shelf, into the trolley, out of the trolley, on to the belt, back in the trolley, over to the window, into a bag, back in the trolley, into the boot, out of the boot, up the stairs, into the press. Then forget about half the bastard yokes till it's outta date and just ring for a pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Yup, I remember this happening alot. Until recently I used to work in a supermarket. There was at least one person a week who wasn't aware of the plastic bag levy, buying alcohol before 10.30 or buying multiple paracetamol products at once.

Funny when they'd go ballistic and say their gonna shop elsewhere from now on.:pac:

Also after every budget some people would give out to me (or a manager) for putting up the price of cigarettes etc...!!!:rolleyes:

Yup, I remember this happening alot. Until recently I used to work in a supermarket. There was at least one person a week who wasn't aware of the plastic bag levy, buying alcohol before 10.30 or buying multiple paracetamol products at once.

Funny when they'd go ballistic and say their gonna shop elsewhere from now on.:pac:

Also after every budget some people would give out to me (or a manager) for putting up the price of cigarettes etc...!!!:rolleyes:

It's 10:00pm for alcohol. Where did you work? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

MonaPizza wrote: »
    Dunnes don't.

I worked in Dunnes and we handed out boxes all the time...
    Grayson wrote: »
    It's 10:00pm for alcohol. Where did you work? :D

I meant 10.30am in the morning, no alcohol sold before that on weekdays. My store closed at 9pm so we never had to worry about the 10pm thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

http://i.qkme.me/3sy6n4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭Archeron

Remember the beautiful poetic scene in the movie American Beauty made by the creepy dude with the video camera? It's hard to recreate that with an empty cauliflower box from Lidl.

I worked in Dunnes and we handed out boxes all the time...

I meant 10.30am in the morning, no alcohol sold before that on weekdays. My store closed at 9pm so we never had to worry about the 10pm thing.

I woke up to a note from a friend who'd crashed at my place after a night on the beer. "Drank all your beer. According to those ****ing bastards art the esso they can't serve me till 11 . I'm going home where there's more beer". (BTW, this was a Sunday so i assume it's different on Sundays).

I worked in an M&S years ago. Like most places their tills won't allow alcohol after 10pm and the store closed at 10pm. So if you were at the back of a queue there was always an argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

FearDark wrote: »
    Bullshit.

It's another levy. 22cent plastic bag levy. Why not supply boxes or paper bags? Nope, lets just charge 22 cent a bag!
    You do realise that most shops will give you a box if you ask for one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

For good reason it came in too.

marine-pollution-plastic-bags-24M1910-08.jpg

Yeah, because the first thing everyone does after using a free bag throw it in the sea. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement