Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Shocking' Plastic Bag Charge

Options
  • 12-11-2013 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Anyone who works in a shop must regularly hear the disbelief from people who get told that there is a levy on plastic bags, which came into force on March 4th, 2002. The casual manner in which they wait until the transaction is put through and then, an auld bag there if ye have one... ''What?! Ye're charging for bags?!''

Culchies and auld ones are the main offenders...

Anyone else suffering these creatures?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Kondo69 wrote: »
    Anyone who works in a shop must regularly hear the disbelief from people who get told that there is a levy on plastic bags, which came into force on March 4th, 2002. The casual manner in which they wait until the transaction is put through and then, an auld bag there if ye have one... ''What?! Ye're charging for bags?!''

Anyone else suffering these creatures?

No.

I bring a reusable one, or plenty of shops hand out cardboard boxes for free . ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Worst of all are those who still think its 15c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Fran will love this thread, he's fond of a plastic bag.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 222 ✭✭harryr711

Worst of all are those who still think its 15c
    It's more than €0.15 now?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Can't believe it came in over 10 years ago! Still have local shops here that supply bags at no extra charge. The likes of Dunnes and Tesco still do... an it grinds my gears to no end when every time Dunnes only have the 80c bags. FFS. Tbh its absolutely bananas to charge 22c for a bag in the first place. More nanny state nonscence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Most people have walked out of a supermarket juggling about 10 items instead of paying for a plastic bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I remember a few years back I worked for an English owned company. Never forget the day the boss was over and we were buying a sambo in Dunnes. He took a bag after he paid and was putting his food into it. You wan from the desk nearly took his head off. He had no clue what was going on lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

For good reason it came in too.

marine-pollution-plastic-bags-24M1910-08.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Shouldn't this thread have been started ten years ago?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

aren't shops supposed to provide free paper bags?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Many places I shop in just give them for free anyway....

... with the passing of time the law becomes less effective.

The monies are supposed to be passed to the government, many shops dont bother.

Jazus , the liffey looks well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

FearDark wrote: »
    Can't believe it came in over 10 years ago! Still have local shops here that supply bags at no extra charge. The likes of Dunnes and Tesco still do... an it grinds my gears to no end when every time Dunnes only have the 80c bags. FFS. Tbh its absolutely bananas to charge 22c for a bag in the first place. More nanny state nonscence.

They need to provide you with a bag for the likes of raw meat and these are exempt from the levy. There's another exception, but can't remember what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Dunnes only do the 80c bags as they have an ongoing "different" view to that of revenue re the 22c bags.

when it first came I worked for dunnes and in a small shop we were using between 5k and 6k bags a week. Immediately after we were using 1000 bags a month so the environmental saving were obvious from the off.

giving free bags away is a small bit dangerous because if you get a tax audit its one of the first things they check your bag purchases against charges for the levy while you are allowed a certain percentage of difference the fines are not something to be laughed at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

Kondo69 wrote: »

Ara stop that carry on now.

Bullshit.

It's another levy. 22cent plastic bag levy. Why not supply boxes or paper bags? Nope, lets just charge 22 cent a bag!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Bullshit.

It's another levy. 22cent plastic bag levy. Why not supply boxes or paper bags? Nope, lets just charge 22 cent a bag!

...most places do give you paper bags or boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Bullshit.

Do you remember what it was like before the levy ?

Best f*cking tax ever in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

aren't shops supposed to provide free paper bags?
    There is nothing in law if that's what you mean.
    The likes of Dunnes and Tesco still do... an it grinds my gears to no end when every time Dunnes only have the 80c bags
    Last time I was in cournelscourt I noticed they have rolls of small bags at the checkout, i.e. commercial packs of bags you buy, so you can put it through the till first, open it and start packing.

They stole this idea from auld lads I saw doing it anyway, one guy bought bin liners and started filling them, cheaper & stronger & larger than the crappy ones they sell you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I don't really think it's "nanny state nonsense" when it's having a clear tangible effect on the environment that's benefitting everyone. Is it also nanny state nonsense that it's illegal to empty your rubbish into the local river every Tuesday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭LittleFox

To be honest it's not rocket science to bring a bag or keep one in your car, there are plenty or reusable ones that take up little space.

I don't really think it's "nanny state nonsense" when it's having a clear tangible effect on the environment that's benefitting everyone. Is it also nanny state nonsense that it's illegal to empty your rubbish into the local river every Tuesday?

No thats illegal. The 22c goes into government coffers...or now probably to Angela Merkel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I overheard someone at a customer service desk ask once if she could get a refund on about 30 bags for life. Apparently, when her husband went to the shop to buy milk/bread etc, he'd refuse to carry a bag with him and would buy a new one every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,336 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Its been an unqualified success in terms of reducing plastic bag use.

http://www.reuseit.com/facts-and-myths/the-plastax-irelands-plastic-bag-fee.htm

vitani wrote: »
    I overheard someone at a customer service desk ask once if she could get a refund on about 30 bags for life. Apparently, when her husband went to the shop to buy milk/bread etc, he'd refuse to carry a bag with him and would buy a new one every time.

We are guilty of that. We have a space under the stairs full of bags for life. Must count them up and depress myself one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

LittleFox wrote: »
    To be honest it's not rocket science to bring a bag or keep one in your car, there are plenty or reusable ones that take up little space.

+1, do it often enough and it becomes like a reflex. A couple of those cotton ones from Aldi rolled up tightly in your bag and a few in the car boot at all times, you're never stuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

The Rubberbandits won't like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Why is the term nany state always rolled out by people that cannot even take responsibility for any semblance of self-management?

Just take a few bags to the fucking shop with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭theblaqueguy

All you suckers buying plastic bags!
    I just get my wife to balance the weekly shopping on her head!
    We shouldn't be giving this government anymore money!
    Were already taxed up to our eyeballs
    With the property tax and now water charges!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Whats with all the C's after the money ie .22c, whats with that, has P's gone out of fashion or something like throu pence?

Advertisement