Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors Chat - Round 5*****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

I don't even have three euro right now :(

Look behind the couch cushions, I'm sure you can find at least €3 somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

GvidoR wrote: »
    Look behind the couch cushions, I'm sure you can find at least €3 somewhere.

Way ahead of you, my searches have returned nada

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Having some trouble with the astra now :(

Liberty is saying it was supposed to be scrapped long ago.
    But the department of transport said the car is current and can be taxed.

So I know liberty is wrong, but getting them to realise that is another thing!

What? Liberty Insurance is saying that the car should've been scrapped? Sounds very strange to me. Are they refusing to insure the Astra?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

What? Liberty Insurance is saying that the car should've been scrapped? Sounds very strange to me. Are they refusing to insure the Astra?

Exactly man, I said that the DOT knows otherwise and that they're wrong to which they referred the car to another department within liberty.
    I tried for a quote from axa and others and they're happy to insure it.
    I will be moving if it's not solved!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,895 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Interslice wrote: »
    It does but you need to balance it with straight line grip. No use on a road car though. The harder the cornering the more negative camber you can use.

Not fully true. Camber on a rock solid car is pretty useless too. It's undesirable on any car, but greater camber is required to allow for body roll during cornering.More camber does not always mean better cornering as it has to be suited to the suspension set up. More camber just allows you to run a softer set up.

EDIT: Sorry didn't realise that post was so old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

YbFocus wrote: »
    Exactly man, I said that the DOT knows otherwise and that they're wrong to which they referred the car to another department within liberty.
    I tried for a quote from axa and others and they're happy to insure it.
    I will be moving if it's not solved!

Would Liberty have the VIN on file? Maybe confirm it's the same car with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Way ahead of you, my searches have returned nada

30 cent here :pac:

Sobanek wrote: »
    30 cent here :pac:

Still nothing, how much do ye think I'd get if i sold it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Why oh why are 99.999999% of Mk1 focus' 1.4 petrol. Where are all the 1.6's! Is there really that much of an advantage over the 1.4 or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Yes, the 1.6 is far, far nicer. Had both at home at the same time and the 1.4 too weak for the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Still nothing, how much do ye think I'd get if i sold it?

half-eaten packet of tayto's and a toffee crisp, obviously :pac:

Sobanek wrote: »
    half-eaten packet of tayto's and a toffee crisp, obviously :pac:

Sounds about right :pac:

Yes, the 1.6 is far, far nicer.

I know, and I'm specifically focusing (aha pun :P) in on the 1.6's. I've been reading up on them alright, but is it just the extra power and nippy-ness :confused: that puts it in front or is there more?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I know, and I'm specifically focusing (aha pun :P) in on the 1.6's. I've been reading up on them alright, but is it just the extra power and nippy-ness :confused: that puts it in front or is there more?

We found it to be lighter on juice as you had to work the 1.4 that bit harder. Engine is more free revving too. There's a 1.8 and 2 litre in them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

No. That's it. The 1.4 is dreadful. The 1.6 is grand. Its still not amazing or anything.

Why oh why are 99.999999% of Mk1 focus' 1.4 petrol. Where are all the 1.6's! Is there really that much of an advantage over the 1.4 or what?

Could say the same thing about Bora's.

55% 1.9 TDI
    25% 1.4
    10% 1.9 SDI
    9.999999% 1.6

Where are all the 1.8T ? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Could say the same thing about Bora's.

55% 1.9 TDI
    25% 1.4
    10% 1.9 SDI
    9.999999% 1.6

Where are all the 1.8T ? :(

You gotta remember that there was often an overlap into similarly specced Passat pricing , so given the choice for the same money, people often go with a bigger car rather than a expensive smaller car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Have an interesting purchase lined up, but I'm £105 short..... Hopefully this exhaust will sell tomorrow and that's some of it got

Will do moose stuff for money! :pac:

Cheers guys, it's just that the 206 is more than likely going to be swapped for a focus during the summer, and if that happens I'll be driving it a lot more. I know it's going to be a big drop from the mondeo, but I want it to be as little as possible! Looked at the 1.8's, don't think that we need another diesel, and for the 2.0, teh tax on dat :eek: :P Going from a 1.1, we don't want the change in expenses to be that awful drastic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

Dord wrote: »
    It looks like it could have been released in 2004. Very dated!

I think it was! Did they change it at all from the previous model?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Cheers guys, it's just that the 206 is more than likely going to be swapped for a focus during the summer, and if that happens I'll be driving it a lot more. I know it's going to be a big drop from the mondeo, but I want it to be as little as possible! Looked at the 1.8's, don't think that we need another diesel, and for the 2.0, teh tax on dat :eek: :P Going from a 1.1, we don't want the change in expenses to be that awful drastic!

IF you don't mind a saloon (a big if I know) - you might find a 1.6 easier to come across with the saloon.

1.6 was the smallest engine on the Saloon for a good bit IIRC.

Think they did the 1.4 in the Mk 1 saloon later on - but most ive seen for sale are 1.6s.

You may prefer the hatch - the saloon isn't exactly an amazing thing to look at. But might be handier to have a Saloon with the better 1.6 then a hatch with the 1.4

Old diesel wrote: »
    IF you don't mind a saloon (a big if I know) - you might find a 1.6 easier to come across with the saloon.

1.6 was the smallest engine on the Saloon for a good bit IIRC.

Think they did the 1.4 in the Mk 1 saloon later on - but most ive seen for sale are 1.6s.

You may prefer the hatch - the saloon isn't exactly an amazing thing to look at. But might be handier to have a Saloon with the better 1.6 then a hatch with the 1.4

No, I hate the back of them saloons. Not tied to a focus mind, a golf is also an option, but a lot of them are still high money and are associated with boy racers! I take it that the 1.4 no go rule applies to these aswell. Don't they drink oil?

dgt wrote: »
    Will do moose stuff for money! :pac:

Do I smell Family Guy? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Anyone know what the deal is with Halfords and spark plugs? Do they not do them for cars any more, all I see is motorbike NGKs.

Buy them at Micks Garage.

/problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I have some vouchers to use up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Spike Witwicky

, a golf is also an option, but a lot of them are still high money and are associated with boy racers! I take it that the 1.4 no go rule applies to these aswell. Don't they drink oil?

While they may be associated with boy racers, some oldies are taking that image away. A work colleague in his 50's is cruising around in a 1.4GT Twincharger. 170bhp from a supercharged and turbocharged engine.

Its quick :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭kirving

Buy them at Micks Garage.

/problem solved

Possibly a stupid question, but the only ones listed for my car on Micks Garage are €13 each. Where else online might have a better selection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Possibly a stupid question, but the only ones listed for my car on Micks Garage are €13 each. Where else online might have a better selection?

Whats your car?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement