Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking information on St.Patricks Home Navan Road

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I suppose unlike civil records, church records are not public documents and they are within their rights to withhold them.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Hi Terri, my Dh is the one who was born the day before your son - but sent to St Pats after he was born. He is awaiting an appointment with sw since last May. I emailed them yesterday and he is now next and hope they contact him this week to make the appt. So finally a trace may be started. Exciting and nerve wrecking at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sheba99

Lilydale wrote: »
    Hi, I was in St. Patricks in 1975. Our babies were christened in the home in its own little chapel. I stayed with my baby for 3 weeks before he was adopted. Most of us girls had our babies in the home presuming there was no complications during pregnancy. We were allowed to name our babies but that mostly changed once they were adopted. I know there was a separate building to the right of the main building (slightly behind) and as far as I can recall it was separate from the nursery and I remember going there once to see a baby which was in islolation away from the main building. I am happy to help anyone if I can with questions etc. I am happy to say that I met my son many years ago and we enjoy being part of each others lives now.

Lilydale

I was in St Pat's in '75 from August through to December. What months were you there? I fought to keep my baby and raised her myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ckelley

Lilydale wrote: »
    Hi, I was in St. Patricks in 1975. Our babies were christened in the home in its own little chapel. I stayed with my baby for 3 weeks before he was adopted. Most of us girls had our babies in the home presuming there was no complications during pregnancy. We were allowed to name our babies but that mostly changed once they were adopted. I know there was a separate building to the right of the main building (slightly behind) and as far as I can recall it was separate from the nursery and I remember going there once to see a baby which was in islolation away from the main building. I am happy to help anyone if I can with questions etc. I am happy to say that I met my son many years ago and we enjoy being part of each others lives now.

my father and twin sister where adopted from there in early 1952-1953 to usa! mothers name was i think elizabeth meade? do you have any tips on trying to find her?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

Hi Do you have any idea how old bmum was or any other information, if your on fb join banished babies and adoption rights alliance loads of help on them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Hi laoisestars
    This is a public forum open to anyone. If I were you I'd edit your post to remove your full name and phone number

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭180567

I posted my original questions three years ago , and thanks very much to everyone for all the replies and information.

Since then my own story has advanced a little bit. I have been up to visit the site on the Navan Road, which is now the Kempton estate. I found it a very moving experience walking around the place where the home used to be. I also got my original birth certificate and original name and birth mother's name. Her name was Kathleen and she was in her mid 30s when she had me. I also joined the Facebook group Navan road cribmates. A social worker from the hse\tusla tried to do a trace to find her, but it seems she emigrated to Blackpool in England shortly after having me. So I have not been able to locate her at all. Unfortunately we don't know her exact date of birth either so I'm at a bit of a dead end when it comes to finding her.
    My only hope is that someday, she or one of her descendants will be searching in the other direction and stumble across my posts and make the connection.
    Thanks again for all the replies to my original questions

Hi 180567,

Thanks for sharing the outcome of your story and well done on getting this far.

Can I ask did the social worker provide you with any other information on your mother such as her county of birth?

Genealogy Forum Mod

180567 wrote: »
    I posted my original questions three years ago , and thanks very much to everyone for all the replies and information.

Since then my own story has advanced a little bit. I have been up to visit the site on the Navan Road, which is now the Kempton estate. I found it a very moving experience walking around the place where the home used to be. I also got my original birth certificate and original name and birth mother's name. Her name was Kathleen and she was in her mid 30s when she had me. I also joined the Facebook group Navan road cribmates. A social worker from the hse\tusla tried to do a trace to find her, but it seems she emigrated to Blackpool in England shortly after having me. So I have not been able to locate her at all. Unfortunately we don't know her exact date of birth either so I'm at a bit of a dead end when it comes to finding her.
    My only hope is that someday, she or one of her descendants will be searching in the other direction and stumble across my posts and make the connection.
    Thanks again for all the replies to my original questions

Did the social worker try to locate any of her family? Seems a shame that the search was stopped if there was even the slightest chance a sibling might be still around her home place.

Ghekko wrote: »
    Did the social worker try to locate any of her family? Seems a shame that the search was stopped if there was even the slightest chance a sibling might be still around her home place.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Thanks for the interest in my case.

The social worker was only able to tell me very vague information such as - my birth mother had been living on the east coast and worked in a nursing home before, and then after my birth. (A separate and different nursing home to St Patricks home). The only other information I have on it is that it was run, owned or managed by a Mrs Kiely. This place, wherever it was, has since closed down and is no longer there. I've tried checking an old 1968 phone book and Thoms directory books to see if i could cross reference this Mrs Kiely's name with my birth mother's name but no luck. Finding out where this place was would be a big step forward.

According to the social worker it seems my birth mother went to England and then married my birth father and they had another child , who would be my brother or sister.

I also tried searching in the GRO for my birth mother's birth record but because i don't know her precise year of birth, there are too many​ of the same name so i can't work out which might be her. An added confusion is that on some records she used the name Catherine rather than Kathleen so that doubled the amount of possible matches.

The social worker did manage to trace my birth mother as far as an address in Blackpool, England, but, the person there now had bought the house in 1986 and didn't have a forewarding address for the previous occupants (my birth mother and her husband).
    I have tried posting in a Facebook page for the area they are thought to have moved to (Cleveleys which is near Blackpool). I tried writing to the local newspaper there too but they didn't reply.

Of course it is possible they moved somewhere different. Or that the whole story about Blackpool is false (this part came from Mrs Kiely, who was my birth mother's employer). It's a bit like putting a jigsaw puzzle together with only half the pieces !

I am still hopeful that someday she or one of her descendants will find my posts here and on Facebook and maybe make the connection.

I'm guessing you haven't been given her married name? Are you on the adoption rights alliance Facebook page? You may get help or tips from people there who have dealt with English records.

Thanks, that's right - I don't have her married name, so i am at a bit of a dead end for now. But I'm not giving up hope and i may go over to England in the summer and try a couple of other options like local noticeboards. I'll let everyone know if i have any success.
    I have applied to join the adoption rights alliance Facebook group. Just waiting for approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kok64

i have some information about st patricks mothers and babby home wall before it be came one it was a work house it opent in 1911 then it was a mothers and babby home it was where kimton is now off the navin road it was big it had 300 babbys in it the hse knocked st patricks down in1985 all is thats left is the gate house were the bms use to sine in and out of st patricks when the babbys got sick they were brought to st kevens hoseptil now st james and back a gain when they got betterthe babbys were adophed true out the years they had hse nerus to look after the babbys in st patricks i was born tere on 17th of may 1964 it was on a sunday morning at 10 past 11am dr coffie oversaw how the babbys progressed before being brought back to be adophed my name is karl o kelly

Advertisement