Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking information on St.Patricks Home Navan Road

Options
  • 11-11-2013 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hello, I wonder would anyone have any general information on the St.Patricks Home on the Navan Road ? I was born there and am trying to find out some information about its exact location and what it might have been like.

I read on one website that it was located at what is now the Kempton Housing eastate, but I'm not sure if this is correct ? Would anyone know for sure ? I would also be interested to know if there is any kind of memorial, or anything anywhere to remember / commemorate the place.

Would anyone know what happened to it , when it was closed down or when it was demolished ?

Also - would anyone know if the babies born in St.Patricks would have been baptised at the church on the Navan Road (Our Lady Help of Christians church) ? Or would they have been baptised at the Home itself ?

I was also wondering if anyone knew did the new born babys get to spend any time with their birth mothers, or were they seperated straight away ?

Also - would anyone know the geographic area that the expectant mothers might have come from ? I am not sure if it was for any particular region or part of Dublin ?

And another question (sorry for so many) : would anyone know if the birth mothers were able to name their babies ? I heard from my adopted parents that my 'original' name had been Patrick, but I am not sure if that was correct.

I thank anyone for any information they might have and like to post here. I am trying to piece together some of the unknown parts of my own adoption and would be very grateful for any information.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

hi. there is a st patricks mother and baby home facebook group. people born in st patricks navan road.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭180567

I think I found the location working off an old map and it does seem to be right where the Kempton Houseing estate is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 partyanimal13

Q.. "would anyone know if the babies born in St.Patricks would have been baptised at the church on the Navan Road (Our Lady Help of Christians church) ? Or would they have been baptised at the Home itself ?"

A...I was adopted in St. Patricks and I'm sure the babies where baptised in the church in the grounds of st. patricks. One of the sisters knew me by name and showed me the fountain where I was baptised. So yes the babies where baptised in the church.

Q..."Also - would anyone know the geographic area that the expectant mothers might have come from ? I am not sure if it was for any particular region or part of Dublin ?"

A.... MY MOTHER CAME FROM CO. LIMERICK

And another question (sorry for so many) : would anyone know if the birth mothers were able to name their babies ? I heard from my adopted parents that my 'original' name had been Patrick, but I am not sure if that was correct.

A.. YES MY BIRTHMOTHER NAMED ME DOMHAILL AND MY ADOPTIVE MOTHER NAMED ME KARL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

It was on the kempton site and also the old persons home next door, was just a large piece of land running all the way down to the train tracks.

Don't think there is any memorial, nothing to celebrate.

Kempton was built 91/92, the old persons home was there before that, early 80s as far as I remember.

The last thing left is the red brick gate lodge to the right of the entrance into kempton.

I think most of the babies were baptised in MHOC navan road.

Don't think mothers and babies were separated straight away, mine stayed for a month and I was adopted a week later.

They came from all over, mine was midlands but as I grew up only a few hundred yards away I would see all these pregnant women walking to the church and shops every day.

As a kid I didn't understand, just thought groups of pregnant women went for walks together.:rolleyes:

When I went checking up on my BM I found that my first and middle names were the same, that's down to my adoptive parents respecting and loving me and not wanting to change anything.

I'm from Pat's as well, on my birth cert BM's name is not the same as I was told from Park house so after many hours in Abbey street I've kinda hit a brick wall, BM doesn't want to know but as I have 3 half siblings it would be nice to say hello from their big brother.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I used to live very close to it...and to what became Kempton estate.

Prior to Kempton it had been vacant for years. So what remained was a big old (what seemed huge to a child) vacant building that looked like a convent.

There was a lot of land around it (where Kempton is now) and it was a big old wild field with this abandoned building in it.

I assume you have seen this:
    http://www.adoptionrightsalliance.com/stpats.htm

• Advertisement

amdublin wrote: »
    I used to live very close to it...and to what became Kempton estate.

Prior to Kempton it had been vacant for years. So what remained was a big old (what seemed huge to a child) vacant building that looked like a convent.

There was a lot of land around it (where Kempton is now) and it was a big old wild field with this abandoned building in it.

I assume you have seen this:
    http://www.adoptionrightsalliance.com/stpats.htm

Do you remember there was a single story building (I think) far behind the large red brick building, you could see it through where the old peoples home is now, think that was where the babies were born away from the main house.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

This is my memory from as a child, I don't know if it is correct or not. I will check with my mother.

When I remember the big old house it was empty at this stage - around 1984/85ish I think.

But I do remember another place - that looked like the old folks home. Which was referred to as St Pats. (I never actually knew the big building was st patricks, I always thought of it as a convent. Think that might be because my mam and dad if they referred to it called it "the nuns place").

The other place was a modernish building??? Was this it?? Or am I getting mixed up with the old folks home???

There was one girl in school who apparently was adopted from there and I remember a teacher recommending she find out the history of the place when we were about 12 (1990) but it kind of went over our heads :o

I never saw any women or babies...or nuns come to think of it. I hope you were all looked after okay and your babies went to nice families or else stayed with you. I can only imagine how hard it was then.... My aunt became pregnant (unmarried) around 1981 and when she told her parents (my gp's), my granda's response was "when are you getting married?". A wedding was arranged which she did not go actually through with in the end.
    My granda did not speak to her throughout her pregnancy or when baby was born. Eventually came around when my cousin was about 1 or 2.
    Different times :(

Ps. I remember it being demolished over the course of a few weeks - cranes and bulldozers, nothing dramatic. We played on the ruins - bricks was the main thing but I also remember some old fashioned tiles (wall and floor)

This is my memory from as a child, I don't know if it is correct or not. I will check with my mother.

When I remember the big old house it was empty at this stage - around 1984/85ish I think.

But I do remember another place - that looked like the old folks home. Which was referred to as St Pats. (I never actually knew the big building was st patricks, I always thought of it as a convent. Think that might be because my mam and dad if they referred to it called it "the nuns place").

The other place was a modernish building??? Was this it?? Or am I getting mixed up with the old folks home???

There was one girl in school who apparently was adopted from there and I remember a teacher recommending she find out the history of the place when we were about 12 (1990) but it kind of went over our heads :o

I never saw any women or babies...or nuns come to think of it. I hope you were all looked after okay and your babies went to nice families or else stayed with you. I can only imagine how hard it was then.... My aunt became pregnant (unmarried) around 1981 and when she told her parents (my gp's), my granda's response was "when are you getting married?". A wedding was arranged which she did not go actually through with in the end.
    My granda did not speak to her throughout her pregnancy or when baby was born. Eventually came around when my cousin was about 1 or 2.
    Different times :(

The land sloped from the navan road down to the tracks/canal, you could see the top of the building through the long grass/hay, it was a 50s type building, 6 or 8 windows and a flat roof.

There were a lot of kids adopted around the Navan road area those days, although not something shouted from the roof tops I would have known 9 others in the area, well above average.

nudger wrote: »
    The land sloped from the navan road down to the tracks/canal, you could see the top of the building through the long grass/hay, it was a 50s type building, 6 or 8 windows and a flat roof.

There were a lot of kids adopted around the Navan road area those days, although not something shouted from the roof tops I would have known 9 others in the area, well above average.

I really don't know if I am thinking of the right building or not. I think my memory has merged it with the retirement home beside.

Wow that is interesting. As I said, there was one girl in my school. Kind of bittersweet I guess being adopted and living so near to the place you were born and adopted.

• Advertisement

I really don't know if I am thinking of the right building or not. I think my memory has merged it with the retirement home beside.

Wow that is interesting. As I said, there was one girl in my school. Kind of bittersweet I guess being adopted and living so near to the place you were born and adopted.

I knew from an early age I was adopted but at the time I never asked any questions of my mother.

My father didn't talk about it, men didn't, those times. but my mother would tell me that joe or mary or johnny down the road were "the same as me", they knew too I think.

It was only after my first child was born that my mother told me where they got me, she was a bit upset and asked why we had named our child after the ward I had been born in, never copped on I was from up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Lilydale

Hi, I was in St. Patricks in 1975. Our babies were christened in the home in its own little chapel. I stayed with my baby for 3 weeks before he was adopted. Most of us girls had our babies in the home presuming there was no complications during pregnancy. We were allowed to name our babies but that mostly changed once they were adopted. I know there was a separate building to the right of the main building (slightly behind) and as far as I can recall it was separate from the nursery and I remember going there once to see a baby which was in islolation away from the main building. I am happy to help anyone if I can with questions etc. I am happy to say that I met my son many years ago and we enjoy being part of each others lives now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kerryweddings

Hello there. New to this forum. I am searching for my brother who was born in St Patricks Home Navan Road in the early 60's possibly...certainly before 1966. My mother Mary named him Gerald Arthur and her maiden name was Devereaux. She cannot remember the Date of Birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Gonzp

Hi, Would anyone know who to contact re getting a baptismal cert from here.. I was born there in 1977 and need my baptismal cert as I am getting married soon. Thanking you in advance.

Our lady help of Christians Navan road might have it, don't tell them your from st pats as they won't help you once they hear that, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Gonzp

ok, thanks for that. I appreciate that...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Terri Kiernan

Hi
    You have asked so many questions it's hard to answer them all but I will do my best I was a mother there in 1973 girls named their babies and had them baptised in the homes little chapel. We had to look after our babies from the moment they were born the name your mother gave you will be shown on your original birth certificate some mothers cared for their baby up to 3 months it really depended on what adoption society you were with. Girls from all over Ireland were interned there and most worked very hard for their keep. They sold the property to a developer and yes there is a housing estate on it .I know of no memorial I wish you well in your search just wish with all my heart my son would agree to make contact but I have been informed he does not want to I can never forgive myself for not putting up a greater fight at 18 I was no match for the authorities
    Wish you well

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Mfarr3ll

I was born there in 1978. U can request your records from the hse in blanch business park. I got married two years ago and that's when I found out I was born there as my adoptive mother told me I'd have to go to mary help of Christians for my birth cert the secretary there was a real piece of work and I got a tiny slip of paper dated that day I requested it.

I'd be interested to hear if the person above got their baptismal cert? I got my Bert certificate the other day in the gro with my original name on it...surreal

• Registered Users Posts: 9 NeatFreak_

There's a Facebook group called St. Patrick's Home, Navan Road Cribmates.

It's a closed group, once you request to join you should check your Other messages folder for a PM from one of the Admins.

There's another group called Beyond Adoption Ireland. I'm also a member of Adoption Rights Alliance on Fb too.

You'll get ALL the information you need there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 NeatFreak_

Teri, you should join the Fb groups:

St. Patrick's Home, Navan Road Cribmates (we'd love to hear from birth mothers!).

Beyond Adoption Ireland

Adoption Rights Alliance

Irish First Mothers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 AnyoneTOO

To see the site today, go on google earth. The church beside the site has a pale green (copper) roof.
    Most if not all children (secretly) born there were baptised within a couple of days.
    The church/rectory has ALL the records of baptisms still.
    The good old irish state in collusion with the catholic church WILL NOT release information, even to you.
    No names of birth mothers will be released and only if you have paperwork that confirms your info will they confirm but not add any information.

Hi AnyoneTOO

Re info: The church is the best part of 1 km from where St Pats was, from what I've learned, the baby's were baptised on site but the church has the records, tried getting mine but once you mention your adopted the 2010 law kicks in and they cant help you.

nudger wrote: »
    Hi AnyoneTOO

Re info: The church is the best part of 1 km from where St Pats was, from what I've learned, the baby's were baptised on site but the church has the records, tried getting mine but once you mention your adopted the 2010 law kicks in and they cant help you.

yeah the church is mary help of Christians up the road but I have heard others say they were baptised on site!
    Wonder if you didn't mention u were adopted! I walked I to the gro office searched the records and found my original birth cert two weeks ago I've seen applied for my info under the Freedom of information acts and next is under the data protection

• Registered Users Posts: 7 AnyoneTOO

Mary help of Christians, indeed! About 6 years ago I spoke to someone there who confirmed my baptism.
    There my search ended, I dont care in any case. Its over 31 years ago since I started looking, tiring if it many years ago but just confirming what the few documents I have.
    My reason on the forum here from this subjects point of view is to part with any useful info I have to those that can use it.
    As far as I am concerned, My birth mother couldnt give a monkeys for the past 49 years. She has aided the state of Ireland and its corrupt mother church to keep covered up something that was enforced on her in 1965. The church, state, instutions can keep their wicked ways. They HAVE got away with multiple counts of criminal actions and the generations affected are almost all gone.
    I can do without posters saying how bitter I am and all the other nonsence etc but I'm not as it happens. I do however believe that strong words should be used because politically etc Irelands inability to come forth from its dark ages with the truth is deeply shamefully.
    I also have had first hand experiance in watching a mother abuse her children and husband and abandon all for the seeking of money and pleasure which she did not recieve.
    From my perspective, my opinion I guess, those very few of us who continue to seek information ought to seriously consider giving up this quest and concentrate on our own existance and that of our own present children and families. They all deserve what we unfortunatly did not recieve in abundance.
    Please be assured I do not in saying this to insult, undermine or critisize anyones attempts to find whatever it is that you seek, just do so for jolly good reasons.
    I, in my case, will do nothing, expect nothing and if I was a gambler would have no problem putting money on not finding anything more whatsoever.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

AnyoneTOO wrote: »
    ...As far as I am concerned, My birth mother couldnt give a monkeys for the past 49 years...

You could be wrong about that. Your mother might be as much a victim of their lies as you are.:(

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6 triggerlittle

Gonzp wrote: »
    Hi, Would anyone know who to contact re getting a baptismal cert from here.. I was born there in 1977 and need my baptismal cert as I am getting married soon. Thanking you in advance.

Hi, Your baptism cert should be available at the parish office behind the church on the Navan rd, (Our Lady Help Of Christians) as almost all of the children born in St Pats were christened there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Can you just ask for the baptismal cert in the persons original birth name. Dh got his birth cert this week and we since found out that he was in St Pats by the date of his baptism. So we assume he would have been baptised in that church. If asked if he was adopted could we just say no or will it be noted on his certificate even though he wouldn't have been given up at that time?

Ghekko wrote: »
    Can you just ask for the baptismal cert in the persons original birth name. Dh got his birth cert this week and we since found out that he was in St Pats by the date of his baptism. So we assume he would have been baptised in that church. If asked if he was adopted could we just say no or will it be noted on his certificate even though he wouldn't have been given up at that time?

I have my original birth cert and I gave wondered this. Keep me informed please with what u do in this regard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

I contacted the Church on Navan Road recently asking for dh's baptism cert in his original name. I got an email asking to ring them. The woman was very nice. She started by askin if I knew Dh was legally adopted - I said yes but wondered could he have his cert in original name given he knows his bm name? I was told he would have to contact the archbishop - sod that! If nothing else, the conversation confirmed that he did indeed have his correct birth cert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Terri Kiernan

Hi Ghekko,
    I am delighted to hear you confirmed his cert. I wish you well, and hope you find out as much as you can.
    So much hidden for so long, shame on those who continue to present such like blocks, surely anyone can get a copy of his cert from the Church given you have all the information necessary.
    Love and Hugs xxx
    Terri

Advertisement