Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 week Apt Holles St - Scan?

Options
  • 11-11-2013 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi guys
    Sorry if there is a topic on this already, i searched and could not find anything.
    I am 9 weeks pregnant. I am booked in for the 25th November with Holles St Semi Private for my 12 week check. (this is my 1st pregnancy)

I have only realised now from reading some websites that I do not get a scan / ultrasound on that day, that it is only for bloods, history check etc.

is this correct? I am kind of freaking out as I have very little symptoms (lucky me I know) and spotted a little and really just wanted a scan for reassurance that there is a baby in there and everything is ok, sounds silly I know.

Has anyone any advise, can I ask for a scan?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Some of the consultants have a mini-scanner at each appointment - I think it just depends who you have. I'm with Dr Foley and I've gotten a mini-scan at every appointment so far.

However I've heard of other people who have just gotten the one "big" scan at 20 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

If you're public they'll do a mini scan, it is literally a few seconds but you'll get to see baba :)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭CurranBun

Oh god I hope he has one, Im booked in with Dr O'Brien..
    I see there is a Private option in a different clinic, if I dont get one I will book that I think.

Thanks nikmpup, I am guessing and hoping they will have it in Semi Private then!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

In both semi private and public you get a dating scan.

• Advertisement

Oh great, I hope so... will just really put me at rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

CurranBun wrote: »
    Oh great, I hope so... will just really put me at rest.

Hey if your worried and have having spotting you can always ring holles st and tell them. I did this on my last pregnancy. I was only 6 weeks at the time but kinda felt like all my symptoms had disappeared. They were lovely and told me to come in to the fetal assessment department. There they did a quick scan and I could see heartbeat and everything. Really put my mind at rest.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Hey if your worried and have having spotting you can always ring holles st and tell them. I did this on my last pregnancy. I was only 6 weeks at the time but kinda felt like all my symptoms had disappeared. They were lovely and told me to come in to the fetal assessment department. There they did a quick scan and I could see heartbeat and everything. Really put my mind at rest.

They're lovely in there and really put you at your ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Moonbeam wrote: »
    In both semi private and public you get a dating scan.

That depends on how busy they are. Most people don't get a dating scan in Holles street.
    Everyone (according to their policy) gets an anomaly scan.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

They are always busy:) I have never known of anyone not to get one.

• Advertisement

Moonbeam wrote: »
    They are always busy:) I have never known of anyone not to get one.

I've never known anyone to get one.

liliq wrote: »
    I've never known anyone to get one.

I got a mini scan at every routine appointment, as well as the 20 week scan, and a couple of extra ones when I attended the fetal assessment unit when I had reduced movement and was ill.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i didnt get a scan at my 12 week appointment but they used a dopplar to listen to the heartbeat.

i had had a nuchal fold scan at 11 weeks. also friend was the same no scan at 12 week appointment in Holles Street

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

nikpmup wrote: »
    I got a mini scan at every routine appointment, as well as the 20 week scan, and a couple of extra ones when I attended the fetal assessment unit when I had reduced movement and was ill.

Same here! Mini scan at every appointment and big scan at 20 weeks! I paid for a scan at 12 weeks in ultrasound dimensions in Blackrock and that scan was amazing, well worth the money and way way clearer than any of my holles street scans and pics were better quality! I also ended up getting a growth scan at 26 weeks in fetal assessment and have another one booked in a few weeks as a treat for doing pears study :)

Millem wrote: »
    Same here! Mini scan at every appointment and big scan at 20 weeks! I paid for a scan at 12 weeks in ultrasound dimensions in Blackrock and that scan was amazing, well worth the money and way way clearer than any of my holles street scans and pics were better quality! I also ended up getting a growth scan at 26 weeks in fetal assessment and have another one booked in a few weeks as a treat for doing pears study :)

I signed up for the nutrition study but they never called me... Just as well, I never made it to 39 weeks lol!

I signed up for the nutrition study but they never called me... Just as well, I never made it to 39 weeks lol!

Last week I was cursing doing the study! As I had to get that diabetes blood test, 2 1/2 hours of torture!!!!!!! The last thing I have to fill out 3 day food diary for them. Thankfully I was in group who just are what they wanted as the other group had to go on a low gi diet! I am going to do the genesis study to get another big scan at 38 weeks to check if baby is breech! At 26 weeks baby weighed 2lbs 4 ozs so can't wait to find out weight at 34 weeks!

Millem wrote: »
    Last week I was cursing doing the study! As I had to get that diabetes blood test, 2 1/2 hours of torture!!!!!!! The last thing I have to fill out 3 day food diary for them. Thankfully I was in group who just are what they wanted as the other group had to go on a low gi diet! I am going to do the genesis study to get another big scan at 38 weeks to check if baby is breech! At 26 weeks baby weighed 2lbs 4 ozs so can't wait to find out weight at 34 weeks!
    I had to do the diabetes test as well cos both my sister had GD, and my 1st glucose test showed high blood sugar levels.... Horrible morning (not least the smell of boiled eggs from all the women in the diabetes clinic lol!)

Mini scans yes, but not dating scan.
    Dating scans are as detailed as the 'big' scan/ anomaly scan.

I am doing the Pear study too.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

I have heard of people getting scans at every visit and likewise of getting only a set number of scans, even as a private patient. The private and semi-private packages specify a set number of scans at set weeks as guaranteed and anything outside of that is at the consultants discretion. Some consultants will charge for additional scans (even mini ones) and others don't. This was part of my reason for choosing the rotunda as semi private and private scans as long as the consultant thinks they are needed are included, so from a cost point of view that made me feel better as there would be no extra charges

Best thing to do is phone the clinic and ask if a basic scan is included and if not and you want one how much is it. At least that way you will know. And there is no harm in being a bit forward and asking for a scan, just make sure to clarify before if it will be an extra charge

I can't recommend the rotunda semi private enough in terms of the quality of care. I have had a scan at every visit. I know I am having twins and that's part of it, but even a friend who is having just the one has also had a scan each time, the only difference being she doesn't need as many visits as me. I even got a 4d image at my 20 week scan for no extra charge. I totally wasn't expecting it and it was such a lovely and amazing surprise. So clear and amazing to actually know what my girls look like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Mini scans yes, but not dating scan.
    Dating scans are as detailed as the 'big' scan/ anomaly scan.

Not in the Coombe they're not anyway... dating scan is a 3 min scan just checking heartbeat and growth, they do not check for defects at this scan. At anomaly scan it goes into detail and checks for defects.

All i want is to hear the heartbeat, just reassurance that everything is ok, so if thats all they do I will be happy with that. Il ask for it anyway. thanks everyone.

January wrote: »
    Not in the Coombe they're not anyway... dating scan is a 3 min scan just checking heartbeat and growth, they do not check for defects at this scan. At anomaly scan it goes into detail and checks for defects.

same as Holles St, it takes about 5 minutes and they call it the dating scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

CurranBun wrote: »
    All i want is to hear the heartbeat, just reassurance that everything is ok, so if thats all they do I will be happy with that. Il ask for it anyway. thanks everyone.

They'll definitely do this. The midwife found the heartbeat with the Doppler at my first apt and I was more than happy with this.

My first scan with holles street was my anomaly scan at 21 weeks, I didn't get a dating scan or otherwise before that and it didn't bother me. I had a mini scan for every apt after that. I paid for a private scan before 12 weeks myself somewhere else.

Best of luck with your pregnancy!

Maybe detailed was the wrong word.
    In order for a daring scan to be an actual dating scan, a lot of measurements need to be taken and as certain things develop at particular days that is taken into account for an accurate date. A 3 minute scan definitely wouldn't cover that. A mini scan would be 3 minutes.

In order for a daring scan to be an actual dating scan, a lot of measurements need to be taken and as certain things develop at particular days that is taken into account for an accurate date. A 3 minute scan definitely wouldn't cover that. A mini scan would be 3 minutes.

When I went in for pears study the research doc gave me a mini scan and a due date came up on monitor. (This is a few days ahead of my date on paper!) it only took 3 mins. I know in my private scan they took loads of measurements crown to rump etc and it lasted 20mins to 30 mins.

Are you a midwife or a sonographer? I don't think you are an expert on any of this and I know from last month at my dating scan in the Coombe that my scan was less than 5 minutes long, in that time she was able to measure baby, listen to heartbeat and give me a date (4 days out from my LMP), last Thursday I got a mini scan while I was in with the consultant and it lasted less than 2 minutes. Just enough time to check on baby.

Are you a midwife or a sonographer? I don't think you are an expert on any of this and I know from last month at my dating scan in the Coombe that my scan was less than 5 minutes long, in that time she was able to measure baby, listen to heartbeat and give me a date (4 days out from my LMP), last Thursday I got a mini scan while I was in with the consultant and it lasted less than 2 minutes. Just enough time to check on baby.

Are you? ;)
    I'm neither but I have a medical background, with most of it in obs/ gynae.
    EDD's can be manually input to ultrasounds.

No, I'm not either ;) You have experience that is different to others. Other people have had dating scans in Holles St, just because you didn't or you know others that didn't doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

EDD's can be manually input on ultrasounds scanners but I know I wouldn't be very happy if sonographers were just pulling dates out of there asses. EDD's are based on a combination of LMP and measurements taken on scans, they can't just make it up and put mothers and babies in danger.

• Advertisement

No, I'm not either ;) You have experience that is different to others. Other people have had dating scans in Holles St, just because you didn't or you know others that didn't doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

EDD's can be manually input on ultrasounds scanners but I know I wouldn't be very happy if sonographers were just pulling dates out of there asses. EDD's are based on a combination of LMP and measurements taken on scans, they can't just make it up and put mothers and babies in danger.

As per their website- the only scan that is routinely carried out is the anamoly scan.

http://www.nmh.ie/maternity/fetal-ultrasound-fetal-medicine-unit.207.html

Advertisement