Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Xmas Ads-which ones did ye like?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

The Penneys cartoon ad is on youtube-the one with the little child leaving stuff out for Santy and then being tucked into bed...but there is no sign of the Penneys or Primark ads of old,with the song:

"Penneys-gotta whole lotta things for xmas-gotta lot for the family,lalalala
    Gotta lotta clothes for boys and girls-and girls and boys
    Gotta lot for the season
    Penneys-gotta whole lotta things for xmas-gotta lot for the fa-mi-ly".

Sorry-just had to do that! :-)

Allyall wrote: »

Also, the Bord Na Mona one. I know it wasn't specifically Christmas, but it always remoinded me of it, and the fire.. :)

There was actually one out for xmas,with The Marino Waltz in it also.I remember there was a voice-over in this one,and at the end he said:

"Bórd Na Móna peat brickettes.
    Do YOU have enough bales in for xmas?"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Seasan wrote: »
    "Too Long....
    Too round...
    No,no-too shallow..."

"Exactly Rrrright."

Is that the one?? I can't remember much else but I do remember those lines

Wasn't it along the lines of... "I'm looking for a glass for a present"... and then when the right glass is eventually produced, he opens and pours the Harvey's Bristol Cream into it, drinks it, and says something like, "Thank you. That was the perfect glass for my present!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

♪Penneys ♫ got a whole lot♫ off things♪ for Christmas♫ got a lot for the ♫ family, kids♫ and♪ chums for ♫ the Dads♪ and Mums♫ sister brother and♫ your Mother,♫ Penneys♫ lalalalalalala♪ ♪lalala lalalala♪.....

I Know you love it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,233 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

''See the face you love liiight up
    with Terry's All Gold"
    And all those ads for biros & cigarette
    lighters. Memories!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Can anyone remember an ad with Scrooge signing a Christmass card "to Tiny Tim"?It would have been mid 80s,I can't remember what it was for.

darkdubh wrote: »
    Can anyone remember an ad with Scrooge signing a Christmass card "to Tiny Tim"?It would have been mid 80s,I can't remember what it was for.

Hardly an ad for An Post,was it?
    I'm only havin slight memories of that-I think twas towards the end of the ad when he signed the card to Tiny Tim.

As you mention Scrooge,one ad I do remember well with him it-the Telecom Éireann ad with the carol singers holding lanterns outside his house,singin...

"God rest ye merry gentlemen,let nothing ye dismay,
    Pick up your phone and call direct-there is no better way
    To family and friends your xmas greetings to display(or "convey"),
    Now tis easier to ring out the old year,and ring in the new,
    Merry xmas from Telecom to you."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Hardly an ad for An Post,was it?
    I'm only havin slight memories of that-I think twas towards the end of the ad when he signed the card to Tiny Tim.

As you mention Scrooge,one ad I do remember well with him it-the Telecom Éireann ad with the carol singers holding lanterns outside his house,singin...

"God rest ye merry gentlemen,let nothing ye dismay,
    Pick up your phone and call direct-there is no better way
    To family and friends your xmas greetings to display(or "convey"),
    Now tis easier to ring out the old year,and ring in the new,
    Merry xmas from Telecom to you."
    I had this notion that it might be for Telecom Eireann but I was clearly mixing it up with the ad you described there.Thinking about it further I think it might have been for chocolates,maybe Cadburys Roses.

Remember the ads for Quality Street?

The ones where a fella is actin like a crooner with a microphone singin "Magic Moments".I kind of remember one where he is going around singin it,and when he gets to the line "....memories we've been sharing...." and he either slips and falls,or they start throwing snowballs at him-maybe both....

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Remember the ads for Quality Street?

The ones where a fella is actin like a crooner with a microphone singin "Magic Moments".I kind of remember one where he is going around singin it,and when he gets to the line "....memories we've been sharing...." and he either slips and falls,or they start throwing snowballs at him-maybe both....
    I clearly remember the one with the lad singing.It was in a classroom and a boy is handing a girl a Valentines card or something and then this Dean Martin type crooner pops out of nowwhere and starts singing "Magic Moments".The teacher then chased him out of the room with a cane.There might have been a Christmassy version as well with the same guy where they're throwing snowballs at him.

• Advertisement

That ad for Garmin sat-navs,from about 6 years back or so-the one with a parody of the "Carol Of The Bells".I thought that was kinda funny....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I clearly remember the one with the lad singing.It was in a classroom and a boy is handing a girl a Valentines card or something and then this Dean Martin type crooner pops out of nowwhere and starts singing "Magic Moments".The teacher then chased him out of the room with a cane.There might have been a Christmassy version as well with the same guy where they're throwing snowballs at him.

I heard the Old King Cole Song "Chestnuts roasting by an open fire...." today and it reminded me of an ad from not too far back-but I've completely forgotten what the ad is for.

It starts with that song playing,and there is a shy nervous man at a party,looking around the room.He spots a blonde lady looking all elegant and sophisticated-but then he hears her laugh which is loud and high-pitched and fake-sounding,like a teenager.

I can't remember most of the rest of the ad.Any ideas,anyone??

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

I heard the Old King Cole Song "Chestnuts roasting by an open fire...." today and it reminded me of an ad from not too far back-but I've completely forgotten what the ad is for.

It starts with that song playing,and there is a shy nervous man at a party,looking around the room.He spots a blonde lady looking all elegant and sophisticated-but then he hears her laugh which is loud and high-pitched and fake-sounding,like a teenager.

I can't remember most of the rest of the ad.Any ideas,anyone??
    That was for a bank or building society.He spots another woman who he takes a fancy to and is making a move when a guy starts coming on to him and he nervously backs away.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Bring back the Guinness one with the dancing reindeer!

Although I do like their current one...use both

Was there somebody on here a while back looking for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 CanadaDave

The An-Post advert with the letters flying through the air and it was animated like the Snowman, they changed it a few years ago, shame. Coca Cola trucks, Budweiser horses and I think there was a Toys R Us one which was a cartoon with a car driving and its headlights suddenly light up the Toys R Us store.

Advertisement