Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Xmas Ads-which ones did ye like?

Options
  • 10-11-2013 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

Bah Humbug!!
    Yep-I hate xmas and I hate the ads that are showing on the box at the moment.
    But of course I didn't always hate it,and there are plenty of ads which I liked in the past,such as...

An Post-The Snowman
    Telecom Éireann-Scrooge
    Penneys-Gotta Whole Lotta Things for xmas...
    Heineken or Carlsberg-short ad with Good King Wencles tune and xmas lights and robin redbreast
    Baileys-The Cream.
    Coke or Pepsi-the polar bears

So-which Xmax TV commercials from the past did ye enjoy seeing,and would ye want to see them on telly again?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

ESB-Coming Home. ;_;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Surely the ultimate Christmas TV Ad of all time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Quinnsworth used to do a Christmas countdown.
    "Only 7 days to to Christmas so come on down for some great bargains......"

COME OOONNNN!!!!!

The budweiser ad was always nice to see also. The fact it was about beer didnt even register!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Always knew it was Christmas when the Budweiser ad came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Surely the ultimate Christmas TV Ad of all time?

The only Xmas ad I like in recent times.But not an old one,which is why I didn't mention it.You're right-tis an all time great for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Layinghen wrote: »
    Always knew it was Christmas when the Budweiser ad came on.

Yes, Budweiser , Penneys and Coke always did it for me.(Still does)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Quinnsworth.

The biggest range of toys with many at last year's prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I remember one for Harvey's Bristol cream sherry from the early 80's.

I think Peter Bowles appeared in it, he was selecting a suitable glass for his sherry.
    He dismissed several options put to him before choosing one with the exclamation "That's perfect for my present! "

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

I loved the old cornflakes add with the little blonde haired girl and santa . She is probably about thirty now though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I love this Radio ad, always puts a smile on my face

• Advertisement

One of my favourite radio ads too but it seems to drive some people nuts.

Ruubot2 wrote: »
    ESB-Coming Home. ;_;

"I think I'm going home
    To a place I knew so well
    In my youth...."

That ad made a comeback last year-of course we all know that the chap returning home in the ad is Alan Hughes.I must admit I always thought that ad was depressing....

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I remember one for Harvey's Bristol cream sherry from the early 80's.

I think Peter Bowles appeared in it, he was selecting a suitable glass for his sherry.
    He dismissed several options put to him before choosing one with the exclamation "That's perfect for my present! "
    "Too Long....
    Too round...
    No,no-too shallow..."

"Exactly Rrrright."

Is that the one?? I can't remember much else but I do remember those lines.

You've just reminded me of other drink ads that were shown regularly at xmastime....
    Like the Sandeman Port ad where they are sitting around a table outside,
    The Le Piat Dor ad where they are all rushing around the house frantically trying to get dressed and prepare things for a party,
    The ad for Barton and Guetier Partager where you see two glasses clink in front of a fire,
    and there were ads for Courvoisier,Black Tower,Blue Nun, etc.etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

elaney wrote: »
    I loved the old cornflakes add with the little blonde haired girl and santa . She is probably about thirty now though :)
    Can't watch that without it bringing a tear to my eye! The kids in it always reminded an elderly relative of me and my bro and sis. Christmas isn't the same without her :(

Happy note: for some reason I associate the Budweiser horses with going to the cinema. It was always on the big screen when we'd go to see the latest christmas family film!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

My favourite Christmas ads are:

Penney's - Gotta whole lot of things for Christmas, got a lot for the family :)
    Cornflakes - yes, the little blond girl was sooo cute. Great ad
    Budweiser - hate the beer, love the adverts
    ESB, Coming Home - Always liked it and as someone who has lived away from Ireland for almost ten years, this ad is pretty resonant for me
    Coca-Cola ads - Holiday's are coming :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Skid X wrote: »
    I love this Radio ad, always puts a smile on my face

One of my favourite radio ads too but it seems to drive some people nuts.

I definitely fall into that category. I hate that ad so much I'll change station if it comes on. I especially hate the "that beats Banagher" bit. Wtf is that even supposed to mean? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Paddy Fields

OMG... So many youngsters on here. In my childhood I don't think Bud-piss-er was on sale here.

Zaph wrote: »
    I definitely fall into that category. I hate that ad so much I'll change station if it comes on. I especially hate the "that beats Banagher" bit. Wtf is that even supposed to mean? :confused:

Thanks for reposting, I just had another listen and a chuckle. :D

Boxes of Lemon's Seasons Greetings sweets in the supermarket today made me remember a really short ad that was out for them years ago-with just a still pic of the box and a voice over...

Remember Cadburys Roses,the "thank you very very very much" ad?
    "Cadburys Roses-the sweetest way to say Merry Xmas".

And those ads about the double edition of the RTÉ Guide used to get me all excited many moons ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Paddy Fields

Seasan wrote: »
    Boxes of Lemon's Seasons Greetings sweets in the supermarket today <snip>

Jaysus that takes me back; I didn't even know they still existed. We had them every year and in the middle of January those poxy lime flavoured boilers were still there. :D

• Advertisement

Jaysus that takes me back; I didn't even know they still existed. We had them every year and in the middle of January those poxy lime flavoured boilers were still there. :D

Yep-still in the same boxes-navy with stars and a pic of Santy's face on the front.Just lookin at the boxes would take you back wouldn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I absolutely Love Lemon's seasons greetings and wish they were available all year around. I also loved the ad with the still screen and voiceover. While I really liked the Roses adverts, Roses as a box of chocolates has really changed for the worse over the years :( As much as I love caramel, I'd kill to have the old varieties back with all the orange, strawberry and coffee creams in them. There was just a wider selection back in the day. These days nearly half the 'varieties' are just different versions of caramel :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Remember Victor Kahn and his catchphrase "I liked it so much I bought the company" the company being Remmington?They used to only show his ads a Christmass at first but as the years went on they started showing them all year round but for a while I associated his appearence on the telly with the coming of XMass.

darkdubh wrote: »
    Remember Victor Kahn and his catchphrase "I liked it so much I bought the company" the company being Remmington?They used to only show his ads a Christmass at first but as the years went on they started showing them all year round but for a while I associated his appearence on the telly with the coming of XMass.
    "The New Remington...Smooth And Silky Hair Removal Systummmmm."

Remembering that ad now and how we all used to laugh at the way he said that line.
    Yeah those ads were a regular at Xmastime.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

"Too Long....
    Too round...
    No,no-too shallow..."

"Exactly Rrrright."

Is that the one?? I can't remember much else but I do remember those lines.

You've just reminded me of other drink ads that were shown regularly at xmastime....
    Like the Sandeman Port ad where they are sitting around a table outside,
    The Le Piat Dor ad where they are all rushing around the house frantically trying to get dressed and prepare things for a party,
    The ad for Barton and Guetier Partager where you see two glasses clink in front of a fire,
    and there were ads for Courvoisier,Black Tower,Blue Nun, etc.etc...
    Yeah that's the one!

As kids we used shout out his dismissive comments:o

The joys of growing up in two channel Ireland with no remote control I suppose, children these days just don't appreciate adds unless they are big budget ego trips...John Lewis, M&S for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

always loved those ideal toy commercials that came on Tv as xmas approached :)

"I think I'm going home
    To a place I knew so well
    In my youth...."

That ad made a comeback last year-of course we all know that the chap returning home in the ad is Alan Hughes.I must admit I always thought that ad was depressing....
    "I think I'm going home
    To the place I knew so well
    In my youth
    I think I'm going back
    To the days when I was young enough to know the truth
    Now there are no more games to pass the time
    No more colouring books,no more xmas bells to chime
    But thinking young while getting old is no sin
    And I can play the game of life-and win."

Been thinkin about that ad all day and couldn't get that song outa me head

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I absolutely Love Lemon's seasons greetings and wish they were available all year around. I also loved the ad with the still screen and voiceover. While I really liked the Roses adverts, Roses as a box of chocolates has really changed for the worse over the years :( As much as I love caramel, I'd kill to have the old varieties back with all the orange, strawberry and coffee creams in them. There was just a wider selection back in the day. These days nearly half the 'varieties' are just different versions of caramel :(

Couldn't agree more. I still miss the old lime barrels. As an aside, does anyone remember Lucky Numbers? They were a toffee assortment that I only ever saw at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I came across this compilation.

It's missing the Penny's contribution.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

elaney wrote: »
    http://www.dailyedge.ie/little-girl-cornflakes-christmas-729357-Dec2012/

Also, the Bord Na Mona one. I know it wasn't specifically Christmas, but it always remoinded me of it, and the fire.. :)

Advertisement