Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great stuff. A negative split is some achievement for the day and the course that was in it, especially for a fella with only one glute. Well done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Can't believe you and your bionic bits have a GFA and I will have to pay the tourist premium if I want to join you in London for your sub 3 ;)

FairPlay. Great days work.

BTW the only bit I got wrong when I gave killerz a preview of your report last week was the bit where the 3:15 pacers caught you. I forgot to account for the heat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Fantastic execution Ferris B, especially under those conditions. Nice to meet you at the start and thanks for the encouragement.

I went through half way in 1:34 thinking I was great, not knowing just what lay ahead. Probably in retrospect I was 2 minutes or so ahead of where I should've been at that stage and could probably have allowed another 2 maybe for the warm conditions. Those hills at 18/19 miles really knocked the stuffing out of me and made for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnng way home. The quads are really shredded today.

I eventually made a pint and a burger in the Sextant but either missed you or didn't recognise you without the cap, and decided to head for the hills. Look forward to a catchup at some other opportunity. Well done again. I'd definitely give Cork another go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Ffs have you only now just got a gfa!

You're either a lot slower or younger than I thought ;)

Well done on a tough day out there

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Great going C. That must be a great feeling to be back at it after the last couple of years. More to come off that again. Hope the glute is doing well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Well done, and a great report Ferris...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

great report and congrats on the gutsy finish and the GFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done C, great performance well deserved result.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Great performance in those conditions - a nice read too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Sterling work C and well judged on a difficult day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Well done C - delighted to see you back at it fully. Enjoyed the report , loved how you toughed it out at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

wrstan wrote: »
    Fantastic execution Ferris B, especially under those conditions. Nice to meet you at the start and thanks for the encouragement.

I went through half way in 1:34 thinking I was great, not knowing just what lay ahead. Probably in retrospect I was 2 minutes or so ahead of where I should've been at that stage and could probably have allowed another 2 maybe for the warm conditions. Those hills at 18/19 miles really knocked the stuffing out of me and made for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnng way home. The quads are really shredded today.

I eventually made a pint and a burger in the Sextant but either missed you or didn't recognise you without the cap, and decided to head for the hills. Look forward to a catchup at some other opportunity. Well done again. I'd definitely give Cork another go though.

Sorry we didn't get to meet up in the pub. We were just in side front door but only from about 2:30 to 4:30.

I agree with you on the hills, there seemed to be a lot them this year, all in the wrong places! I've still a good dose of DOMS ( quads also) today myself, I think the effort took its toll.

I'll keep an eye out for your unmissable singlet in future runs.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Great stuff. A negative split is some achievement for the day and the course that was in it, especially for a fella with only one glute. Well done again.

Eh..positive split I think by 12s.

Feckin glute is giving me plenty of grief now, need an automatic car or a chauffeur!

Edit.... Neg split by 26 seconds. Thx murph. Doh!

Ferris B wrote: »
    Eh..positive split I think by 12s.

Feckin glute is giving me plenty of grief now, need an automatic car or a chauffeur!

You sure? 1:37:40 split, 3:14:54 finish looks to me like second half of 1:37:14 for a 26 sec neg split.

Either way it was a super second half performance. Your description of starting to run by feel and pick it up from mile 14 blew my mind, that's exactly where I started to really feel it myself, speaks volumes for the shape you're in.

In this case I love it when you're right.

The high temps have me numerically challenged.

Evenin’...it’s been a while.

Time to restart (push start!) this log.

I’m toeing the line in The London Marathon in April 2017 and my 18 week program gets underway next week. While Nike have their sub 2 hr project, I have an altogether tougher project in that I’d like to get through all 18 weeks injury free, which may be a tall ask.

I’m using the Hanson plan ( the one with the max LR of 16 miles) not really from any scientific point of view but more so just as a change from P&D 55 (used for Cork 2016) and anyway Daniels is far too technical for my liking. Also there’s a bit of curiosity in that it I’d be interested to see how it performs considering Messrs Hanson make a point of not running the traditional 20+ mile runs. While the program reaches a max weekly total of 63m it does include loads of easy running which will hopefully suit my challenged frame and propensity for injury.

To help in the injury front I’m doing some S&C work ( physio guided) specific to my needs ( I’m not very bendy). I suspect though my main challenge in staying injury free will be in fact actually do all the non running core/S&C work I’m supposed to do as I find it mind numbingly boring.

The program doesn’t encourage racing but does make suggestions for alterations if you do race. I’ll probably be taking in Raheny 5 ( cos I do it every year) and Ballycotton 10 (cos I heard great things about it). I’m also toying with making my XC debut in early Jan just to try it out. There’s also the Fat Turkey 10k on 28th Dec for some post gluttony penance.

There’s loads of mp miles in the program which I like. What mp pace to start with though? Yesterday’s parkrun time of 19:26 ( my fastest in 2 years) suggests marathon time of c. 3:10. I think I’m better with endurance events though, so would like to see that closer to 3:05 but I’ll see how the training goes and I’ll also be using my HR as a guide from the recent LT testing I did.
    Anyway enough talk, time to get down to action. Here’s me all gung ho and I’ve noticed the program doesn’t actually start till Wed (wtf) and that’s a rest day! Talk about easing you in...

London calling to the faraway towns
    Now war is declared and battle come down
    London calling to the underworld
    Come out of the cupboard, you boys and girls

ps TbL ..Put down that giant bag of Revels. If you find yourself out East and looking for some oap to beat, give me a shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck with it C, Hanson appears to work for auld lads(aero2k a prime example)!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

The program doesn’t encourage racing but does make suggestions for alterations if you do race. I’ll probably be taking in Raheny 5 ( cos I do it every year) and Ballycotton 10 (cos I heard great things about it). I’m also toying with making my XC debut in early Jan just to try it out. There’s also the Fat Turkey 10k on 28th Dec for some post gluttony penance.

You're off to a good start so :D:D you can borrow my 'Stick to the Plan' tshirt if you like!!

My club uses this plan for the seniors crew and they've had a lot of success with it, you should ask aero for his training overview, it makes very interesting reading.

The very best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Nice to see you back C, will be very interested to see how it works for you.
    Way to go with the no racing:D you pacing FBOT up the hill again.

What kind of plan starts on a Wednesday? :rolleyes:

Good luck with it! It will be interesting to see the results.

• Advertisement

Best of luck with the sub 3hr project :p

tang1 wrote: »
    Hanson appears to work for auld lads(aero2k a prime example)!!!

Thanks B. Maybe you should introduce it to your BF as we're of a similar vintage.
    You're off to a good start so :D:D you can borrow my 'Stick to the Plan' tshirt if you like!!

I like it.

The very best of luck!
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Way to go with the no racing:D you pacing FBOT up the hill again.

That was just a gentle trot up howth for ole times sake, although was 4 miles longer than the LR for wk 1!!
    Murph_D wrote: »
    What kind of plan starts on a Wednesday? :rolleyes:
    It will be interesting to see the results.

Hmm, don't get it either. Better read book again in case there's something I missed.
    FBOT01 wrote: »
    Best of luck with the sub 3hr project :p

Have you the no for Nike. Maybe they would take me on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Welcome back C and best of luck with injury free training.

Thurs 22/12
    Plan: 6m easy
    Actual: 6.6m Easy (8:36)

First day of running as Wednesdays are rest days in this program. Very gentle introduction to the plan on a local loop. No specific target for my easy pace other than making sure HR is <150. In this case it was 125 bpm which even includes spikes in first mile

Fri 23/12
    Plan: 6m Easy
    Actual: 7m Easy trail (9:09)

Some more gentle miles off road in St Annes in the company of FBOT and taking in some of the XC Masters route.

Sat 24/12
    Actual: 5.2m (8:14)

Squeezed in a few miles while the ham was simmering on the hob. Tight for time so couldn’t manage the full 6. Still feel a long way off feeling really running fit. My default running pace used to be about 8:00 min/mile but I get the feeling it’s slipped to 8:10 / 8:15. Hopefully that’ll improve now with some focussed training.

Sun 25/12
    Plan 8m Easy
    Actual 6.1 m (7:51)

Took in the local Goal ‘mile’ for this one. Nice jovial scenes in St Annes with the regulars and not so regulars. Didn’t race the mile (kept HR in check at <150) while 7 and 70 yr olds flew past. Even so, always a good feeling doing this run. The unusually mild conditions only added to the occasion. Extended the run out to Howth where I met up with family. It was blowing a good ole gale and luckily it was in my favour hence the faster pace.

Real work starts next week when speedwork is introduced on Tuesdays. Tempo Thursdays will kick in the following week.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS ALL.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Good luck with the plan, C!

Mon 26/12
    Plan: 6m easy
    Actual: 6.5m Easy (8:21)

Headed out just as the sun was going down. Ran usual 5.3m local loop and added in and out ‘n back on the wooden bridged to bring up the mileage to over 6. Was entertained with the flight patterns of the scores of Brent Geese who are over for their annual warm weather training.

Tue 27/12
    Plan: WU 12x400 w/400 rec CD
    Actual: 6.4m Easy (8:13)

As the resting heart rate was up following 2 days of festive gluttony I reckoned it would be more beneficial to delay my first speedwork session of the plan to Wednesday. Ran thursday's easy miles instead taking in the seafront and howth road. The swap worked this week as the first thurs tempo doesn’t start till next week.

Wed 28/12
    Plan: Rest
    Actual: 2.8m WU, 12x400 w/400 rec , 1.7m CD; Total 10.5m

With Crusader’s track closed for the holidays I ran to Duanington’s personal running track, ie one of the circuits around the Rose Gardens in St Annes to do Tuesday’s postponed session. The inner circuit there measured about 250m. I had the watch programmed for the rep distance but not the times. While the good book ( Hanson) suggested to run the 400s at 133s – 135s ( based on 5k time of 19:00 – 19:30), I hadn’t a clue of my actual times until they were uploaded on completion so just ran by feel. As it was a tight circuit I reversed the direction of the reps after the first 6 sets to balance the strain on the legs. Never felt particularly comfortable during the workout, probably down to combination of Christmas excesses and lack of sleep. A large heron stood in the middle and surveyed me with a curious look but headed off after a while, quite unimpressed with my efforts.

Splits turned out a bit slow for the first 6 but improved for the second lot when I reversed direction. Maybe I’m better running clockwise rather than anticlockwise.

Splits 1:37 1:38 1:36 1:38 1:38 1:38
    1:32 1:30 1:33 1:34 1:32 1:29

Thurs 26/12

Actual: Rest

Yesterday’s postponed rest day. Prog now back on track.

I’m due my second visit to my S&C man tomorrow. Not looking forward to it. Expect hurt.:eek:

Fri 30/12
    Plan 6m easy
    Actual: 7.1 easy

Ran to and from S&C session. Easy pace. The first lot of exercises I was given were obviously only warmer uppers as the homework has now doubled. There was some improvement though as apparently I was ‘all over the place’ at my first visit. Mid way thru session, I mentioned an annoying niggle that has been ongoing in my left glute for several weeks now. In between reps he checked out this niggle which equated him balancing his 6’4” frame on his elbow on my left glute. Fcuk me, I have never felt pain like it. There was much screaming and cussing as I was near to passing out.:eek::eek::eek: He just smiled. I’m sure in his treatment notes he’s jotted the word ‘Wuss’ down somewhere.

Mind you the left glute felt much better 2 days later. He did suggest needling if it didn't settle down which I think I'll do if problem reoccurs rather than that painfest.

Sat 31/12
    Plan 6 m easy
    Actual: 7.5 m easy including pacing (25 mins) parkrun

The first of the weekend Parkrun triple that was available this weekend to celebrate the New Year. Paced 25 mins in St Annes which forced me to keep the pace sensible. Runmute to and from park made up the mileage. Plenty of Boards folk about during run and afterwards for obligatory coffee.

Sun 1/01
    Plan: 8m easy
    Actual: 10.2m ( 7 easy and 3 pushed a bit)

I took advantage of the Parkrun double that was available in St Annes & Fr Collins park and used them as my long run with a runmute between the two to bring up the miles. Definitely cooler than yesterday I completed St Annes in the company of FBOT in a comfortable 24 mins trying my best to avoid being hit by bits of FBOT’s lungs which were being fired in all directions.

A motley crew consisting of Singer, Kenny_G, FBOT and myself then ran the commute distance into deeper Northside for the 3rd parkrun of the weekend. Great attendance there from all quarters and plenty from these parts too which was good to see. The Hanson Pace Police may not approve as I pushed the pace a little here (6:44) to finish in just under 21mins. I will need to be more disciplined both with the paces and mileage over the coming weeks.

Myself and FBOT scabbed a lift from AGYR back to Parkrun HQ where the said AGYR regaled all in the cafe with stories of her riding exploits.;)

With NY resolutions fresh in my mind I completed my new set of S&C exercises when I got back home. 45 mins of it. Tough enough. Press ups on medicine balls is not my idea of fun. Hope it gets easier.

Mileage summary: Actual (Plan)
    Week 2 : 48.5 (41)
    Total program : 73.5 (67)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

which equated him balancing his 6’4” frame on his elbow on my left glute. Fcuk me, I have never felt pain like it. There was much screaming and cussing as I was near to passing out.:eek::eek::eek: He just smiled. I’m sure in his treatment notes he’s jotted the word ‘Wuss’ down somewhere.

Ah, this is why you need those ass pads you were talking about? :D
    Myself and FBOT scabbed a lift from AGYR back to Parkrun HQ where the said AGYR regaled all in the cafe with stories of her riding exploits.;)

Feck off :pac::pac::pac: (that's the thanks I get for giving yiz a lift!)

Ah, this is why you need those ass pads you were talking about? :D

Feck off :pac::pac::pac: (that's the thanks I get for giving yiz a lift!)

Thanks again for the lift :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Thanks again for the lift :)

So, she didn't give the two of you a ride then? :P

Advertisement