Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Whats your Mrs doing going to dodgy places for Thai massage will have to have chats with her !!!;)

What's the title of your log?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Ferris B wrote: »
    What's the title of your log?;)

Touche !!!:D

Mon 22nd Feb
    5m Recovery; 8:55

Another dentist trip this morning for some more pain. Me and the Lemon from the west obviously hitting that age where the body needs constant repairs.:(

Easy run on local loop in the evening. These slower runs always seem like a real drag, but they’re in the program so I guess I’ll just do as I’m told.

Tues 23rd Feb
    8.4m Gen Aerobic w/8 hill strides. 8:00

Early morning run from my work place out to Dun Laoghaire and back. Got the strides done on a hilly path in a park in Blackrock. (People’s Park?)

Wed 24th Feb
    5m Recovery; 8:24

Back to my new Thai friend for part 2 of my punishment. Got pulled apart like Stretch Armstrong:eek: but felt better for it. Have been carrying a nasty niggle in my left shoulder blade - I think due to cradling my phone too much on my right shoulder at work – so that got sorted.

5m recovery after on the local loop. Legs and arms definitely felt looser ( and longer!)

Thurs 25th Feb
    10m General Aerobic; 7:56

Another early morning run. Same route as tues but extended the run to the Forty Foot in Sandycove before turning. Tough to get going (mentally and physically) for the first 5 but the body woke up around mile 6 and instinctively picked up the pace for the last few.

Fri 26th Feb

Resting & drinking;

Sat 27th Feb

4 m Recovery, 8:15

Sun 28th Feb

15m MLR, 8:16

Crashed the boards training party in the Phoenix Park for this one. First 5m with FBOT, Yaboya and Murph before the two kids took off to chase the deer while me and Murph sorted out the problems of the world over the next 10m. Great to do these runs in company. Coffee and post mortems after.

Total for week: 47m

Mon 29th Feb

Rest (no drinking)

Tue 1st Mar

LT Run. 10m w/5@15k-hmp

For logistical reasons I couldn’t make club session in the evening but made use of the track in the morning and did this on my own. A few wu miles between work and Irishtown had me first in the door of the track at 7am. Had the place to myself. Can’t remember the last time ( if ever ) I did a fast session in the morning and it was a struggle to motivate the sleepy body to move up through the gears but managed to hang on for 5 faster miles. Target time was 6:20ish.

LT miles: 6:25, 6:20, 6:21, 6:20, 6:18

A couple of cd miles to work where I ate every bit of food I could find.

With all the world heading to Ballycotton and me with no entry, I made enquiries about getting a cancellation. Got an email back today advising 'Elites Only' still open.:( I wonder what proof they'd need to convince them...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice session. Still wondering how you got in at 7am. Was it open?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

There's a nice 10 miler in Donegal Saturday week, Murph would highly recommend it. It's the southern end of the county to.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Nice session. Still wondering how you got in at 7am. Was it open?

Opens at 7am. I rang 'em yesterday to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good to know. Website has always said 10am AFAIK but just goes to show you can't believe the Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Tues 16th
    9m; 1.2 wu; 40 mins Fartlek 6x (5mins hmp; 2mins slightly slower); 1.3 cd

Decided to go to Irishtown and do whatever session was on with the marathon group. I knew the session in advance, just not the pace. It turned out they were going at a ‘one size fits all those who might be targeting sub 3’ pace. I stayed with them for the first few laps and then pulled back a bit. It meant I ran on my own for most of it but no point flogging myself.

I’m not sure my paces are accurate from the track. I think Murph_D suggested Garmin tends to measure faster paces at the track than the equivalent for the road. Certainly my figures are a lot quicker than I’d expect.

My paces for the 5min/2min sections were

5:58 / 6:47 /6:08 / 6:54 / 6:14/ 6:51/ 6:03/ 6:49/ 6:06/ 7:09/ 6:15

Didn't realise Murph had recruited another one. I was part of that group - the good looking fella - must look out for you and start following/stalking you on Strava now that I've twigged who you are :)

Didn't realise Murph had recruited another one. I was part of that group - the good looking fella - must look out for you and start following/stalking you on Strava now that I've twigged who you are :)

Will keep an eye out for you next time I'm there. I'll get Grandpa Murph to point you out.

I tend to go tues evenings at present if the session suits my program.

Are you with the cru for Rotterdam ?

• Advertisement

Same here re Tues evenings but not sure much matches my plan in the next few weeks.

I was tempted by Rotterdam but I'm off to Boston again.

What race you aiming for yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well how did you get on with the proof, any joy .

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Well how did you get on with the proof, any joy .

No. Didn't pretend to be a Kenyan so will stay put.

Mind you I've a good dose of a cold coming on so maybe just as well as wouldn't have been able for much.

What race you aiming for yourself?

Cork marathon hopefully as a re introduction to the longer distance.

I see from your own strava you're getting in a few decent miles. Good luck with Boston.

Fri 4th Mar
    10m General aerobic . 7:55

Having missed my runs on Wed & Thurs due to work and domestic commitments, I pushed Thursday’s run to early fri morning which would otherwise be a rest day. Blizzard conditions out along the seafront to Sutton. I think they call it character building.

Sat 5th & Sun 6th
    No Running:(

Possibly not helped by building my character on Friday, I had a good dose of a cold for the weekend. I don’t like skipping runs from the program, particularly the MP session I had but I reckoned I’d do more harm than good if I ran, so canned both runs.

Mon 7th Mar

Rest day ( per the program)

Tue 8th Mar
    8.4m Gen Aerobic. 7:51

Again the evening club session didn’t match my program so I headed out from the work place for my now familiar early morning run to Dun Laoghaire. Work is quite busy and stressful these days but I find these early morning runs a great head clearer, once I get over the hard bit of getting up and out.

Wed 9th Mar
    5m Recovery. 8:16

Probably a bit fast but I think I was cold.

Thur 10th Mar
    7.7m Gen Aerobic. 7:49

Had to run this in the evening so wasn’t happy. So much so, that I didn’t even bother with the full 8m

Fri 11th Mar
    Rest day

A couple of good things happened today. My two daughters both got up early to run before school, completely unprompted. I was delighted. OK, so the younger never actually made it out as was let down by her running buddy, but the intention was there. It’s rubbing off. Their uncle remarked to them later..’ I see you got your father’s disease’.

The second good thing was I had my last visit to the cardiologist and was given the green light to go to marathon distance again. Result!:) Any more Ultra stuff may have to wait till my next life though. I’ll take that.

Sat 12th Mar
    4.8 m incl Park Run. 19:30

Was supposed to run a recovery but as last weeks mileage was only 20m, I didn’t have much to recover from. So decided to give the parkrun a lash and push it a bit to see where I was speedwise. Not very fast was the answer. Finished in 19:30.

I think it put a question mark on the accuracy of the LT times I was doing on the track recently where I was reasonably comfortable holding 6:20 pace over 5m. I averaged 6:15 over the parkrun and was blowing quite hard. Still it was a comeback PB ..by 1 sec and 1st position in one of the vintage categories. Also passed Meno, him of the famous marathon plan in the 4th km. Making a habit of this!:p

Good news on go ahead for Marathon, well done on PB, you can concentrate on
    Smashing them all again.

Cork marathon hopefully as a re introduction to the longer distance.

I see from your own strava you're getting in a few decent miles. Good luck with Boston.

Cheers. I've done Cork 4 of the last 5 years, great race. 2 of those were after Boston too so I could end up there again yet.

I can't see what you do on Strava because my request to follow is still pending :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Congrats on the great news from the cardiologist, C, delighted for you.

I can't see what you do on Strava because my request to follow is still pending :(

Oops. Not through want of trying... technically challenged:(

sorted...i think

Sun 13th Mar
    12m MLR. 7:41

As has been reported elsewhere I had been attending a wine tasting on sat eve courtesy of a neighbour which resulted in a panic wake up at 8:30 as I was supposed to be in P Park at 8:45 to meet Murph and FBOT. Sh!t. Ran around like a lunatic finding running gear and made my way to the park for 9:20. Tore off on my run convinced I’d find them (it’s only 1752 acres:eek:) . My inner red Indian tracker device was working though and I nabbed them after only a mile. After being suitably admonished for being a lazy git, it turned out to a great run. Murph did fine job nailing his 14m mp and FBOT was full of beans with apparently no after affects from his excellent Cork run. Coffee, scones and good banter after.

Mon 14th Mar
    Rest day

Tues 15th Mar
    10m w/ 5@LT

Early morning run. Having parked at work, got a few warm up laps in Sean Moore park before heading to the track in Irishtown for the LT session. I had suspected that my times for previous LT runs (6:20 ish) were not quite correct as I struggled in Saturday’s park run holding this pace over only 3m. So I decided to test the garmin against actual distance covered.

Results were disappointing:
    Garmin: 5.4m @ 6:20. Great pace, good session:)

Reality: 18 laps @453m (lane 8) = 5.07m @ 6:51 pace. Lazy sh!t, need to do better.:mad:

While it’s nice having the luxury of a soft track to run on , I’ll have to change my timing methods.

Wed 16th Mar
    4m Recovery. 8:27

Only four slow miles but seemed like real drag like most of my recoveries. Heavy legs.

Thurs 17th Mar
    11m General Aerobic. 7:46

Headed out at default pace in the late afternoon. This normally means 8:00 pace but a check on the watch showed pace was around 7:45 but it just felt so comfortable. Had a Marathon Talk pod cast for company which you would think would slow you down but I must have been inspired. Most enjoyable solo run in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

I make it 06:45 pace based on those figures.

FBOT01 wrote: »
    I make it 06:45 pace based on those figures.

Correct. Feel so much better now:(

Sat 19th Mar
    18m Long run (15m ‘warm up’ @ 7:51 + Parkrun @ 6:33 (20:21))

Joined FBOT for a nice run to howth summit and back to St Annes to finish with a parkrun. Hadn’t planned on running quite that fast for the last three miles but was inspired by Murph’s stunning PB performance. Longest run in about 1.5 years. Great to do it all with company.

Sun 20th Mar
    6.9m General Aerobic. 7:27

Squeezed this in just before dinner. Decided not to bother with prescribed strides after yesterdays efforts although still ran a bit too fast, partly due to the chill in the air and also was short on time.

Planning on running Brian Boru Easter Monday so may have to re jig next weeks runs around to suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Correct. Feel so much better now:(

Thank goodness you've all got that all sorted :p

Mon 21st – Thurs 24th
    No running

Monday was a planned rest day but came down with a bug Monday eve which floored me. Spent tues in bed. Got out of my sick bed on Wed to go to work but in no condition to run. Didn’t try any running on thurs either as I thought I’d save myself for a run on fri.

Fri 25th
    17.5ish m ; Pace (8:15 ish). Watch deleted run!

I’d a 20m LR in the plan for the weekend but with Brian Boru 10 on Monday my orginal plan was to do it today. After a nothing week though, I wasn’t sure what I‘d be able for but headed out with 20 in mind anyway. I drafted in mature company in the form of Murph_D for the last 10/11 miles. I only had 7.5 completed (instead of planned 9) when I linked up with D. We took in howth summit, the tram route back down, out along by the harbour and up balcadden rd, out and back on the east pier before retracing our steps to Sutton cross. I knew I was a couple miles shy of target distance but felt pretty wrecked. After being sick during week and a race planned for Monday we decided I‘d be better off with a coffee so called a halt and headed to the nearest coffee emporium.
    Lovely day for a run though and great company.

My watch obviously wasn’t impressed with this lazy attitude as it deleted the run!

Mind yourself C, lots of people seem to be coming down with it, so steer clear
    of FBOT house, as running a mock there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Mind yourself C, lots of people seem to be coming down with it, so steer clear
    of FBOT house, as running a mock there.

Yeah what's going on over there? Bungy, Denis, you, Mrs Mac & now Ferris!

Maybe you should stick to golf C :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Firedance wrote: »

I'd say he's better off with the coffee to be honest :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

FBOT01 wrote: »
    I'd say he's better off with the coffee to be honest :p

He suggested I take up golf :D glad you have WiFi in your shed :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Firedance wrote: »

What's going on in D3 must be something in the air !!!

Advertisement