Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Just dropping in here again in effort to give my stuttering log ( and body) a bit of kick start ...

Healthwise, I’ve been told by the doc the shackles should be able to come off in feb with permission to race past half marathon distance.
    Running wise while I’ve been running irregularly, I’ve been getting out 1 to 3 times a week with weekly mileage topping out around 30m. While fitness is nowhere like it previously was I’ve still taken in a few races over the last few months to keep ticking over including:

5k (PB 18:34)
    August: Park run 19:59
    Sept: Grant thornton 5k 19:11 ( Short course?)
    Sept: Park run 19:56
    Nov: Park run 20:08
    Dec: Park run 19:29 ( st stephens day)

5mile (PB 31:01)
    May: Terenure 5m 33:11
    June: Irish Runner 5m 33:21

10k (PB 38:56)
    Dec 28: Fat turkey 10k 44:30 ( up & down howth)

I’ve an entry for the postponed Waterford half this sat. While my PB is 1:26 ( R ‘n R 2014) I’ll be very pleased if I can run near to 1:35. I not really going to push it though as fitness is lacking and Christmas excesses are still lingering and am really using it as a social run...plus I hear the hat is nice.

After Waterford I want to jump into the last 4 weeks of a 5m programme leading up to Raheny 5 which I had to miss last year. Assuming the health is all ok, the thinking then is to start a 18wk marathon programme for Cork 2016. Hopefully I’ll use that as warmer upper for DCM later in the year.

When it’s written down it all seems so easy!

Runs to date for 2016:

Jan 1st -7m (Ave 8:05) Gen Aerobic run to kick off a new year. No one about when I was running at 9am

Jan 3rd – 10m (Ave 7:59) Endurance run. Picked it up over the last few. Really enjoyed this.

It’s good to be back. Hopefully this is not my last log entry this year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Great to see you back C.

We need someone to keep that FBOT lad in check, since you've disappeared he's really gotten ahead of himself :)

Keep up the logging and all the best with your return to full fitness

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Welcome back, C! And good to see you at Fat Turkey last week. I'm sure you'll treasure the Waterford hat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great news from the doc. Welcome back. Although it seems you've been back for a while. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Welcome back C :)

• Advertisement

Tuesday 5th Jan
    6.6m Ave 8:20.

Ran in the company of FBOT. Was supposed to add in some strides and a couple of hmp miles in advance of sat but was too busy listening to yer man's stories about running exploits thru all 5 boroughs in NYC that the speedy stuff was conveniently forgotten.

Wed 6th Jan
    5.2m Ave 8.09

My normal 5m loop. Was supposed to be recovery pace but since I'd nothing to recover from and a nasty weather front was chasing me I just ran at my default pace. The weather front caught me by mile 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Great to see you back logging, Ferris. Looking forward to following your plans this year and good luck on Saturday.

Good luck tomorrow C! Looking forward to seeing a few new Waterford hats bobbing around St Anne's :D

Well done C - not sure what you were looking for but it looks like progress to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Great result Ferris, well within the target too :)

• Advertisement

Waterford Half Marathon 9/01

This was my first half in about 1.5 years and while I wasn’t entirely sure what I could do, I was looking forward to testing myself. While I’ve being doing some shorter runs over the last while, my endurance hasn’t really been tested. Training has been a bit hap hazard and my longest ‘long’ runs over the last 8 weeks have consisted of only four 10 milers. Still though, I much prefer the longer race than lung busting 5ks.

My plan was loosely based on the idea that I could probably hold a 7:30 pace which would give a 1:38 time and with a bit of effort I could hopefully claw that back to 1:35ish, conditions permitting. So in my head the pace would be 7:15/7:30 for the first half and then re –assess.

I spent the car journey down trying to avoid FBOT’s germs while at the same time hearing why weather in NYC is so much nicer than here.... Anyway got there in good health, got changed and completed a pre run warm up consisting of a whopping 50 yard jog up the hill. Wasn’t bothered though, as was quite relaxed with no serious expectations. Conditions were perfect , 7 deg, no wind.
    While lining up with FBOT bumped into boardsie Loughie and was also introduced to Duanington. D was looking like a fit fecker. All those exercises obviously paying off. A quick discussion on plans for the run and having received the now customary accusations of sandbagging, we were off.

Miles 1-4
    6:53, 7:18, 7:12, 7:08

A fast downhill start led to a pacey first mile for me at 6:53. I got stuck behind a large pacing group following 1:40, so had to take the long route to get ahead of them. I purposely pulled back the pace on mile 2 (7:18) assisted by a climb here which slowed everyone down a bit. I was on my own for much of the first 4 miles and was just trying to find a pace that felt comfortable. I actually started to ignore the watch and just use it for reference at mile splits. Scenery wise, there wasn’t a whole lot to see here.

Miles 5-8
    7:00, 7:02, 7:18, 7:03

Around mile 4-5 I came up behind a couple of guys ( one with hydration back pack!) who appeared to have a nice steady pace and stuck in behind them for a couple of miles ( 7:00, 7:02) through the lovely industrial estate. At the half-way point they appeared to put on a burst and I assumed they were just pushing on for the second half and I let them go. Having reviewed my splits though, it was me who slowed in mile 7 ( 7:18) although I don’t recall being passed much here. Picked it up again in mile 8 (7:03).

Miles 9-12
    7:07, 7:05, 7:10, 7:10

In most races I’ve done, I generally get to some point in the second half where I assess my state and am able to tell myself “I’ve got this, they’re might be pain but I can hold this effort to the end”. It’s mind games, but its gives a nice confidence boost. This was also aided by the fact that from here till the end I was passing quite a lot of people. I also caught and passed my two ‘pacers’ who had dropped me earlier. There was a nice uphill drag ( I like uphills) at miles 10/11 where I passed quite a few. One runner took offence to being passed and held pace with me for .5 mile before falling back. A runner in a tri top subsequently caught me on the downhill but I got him back. One of my two ‘pacers’ from earlier came through though very strong and passed me near the 180 turn in mile 12.

Mile 13
    6:45, 6:06 (last bit)

I was in good form here and felt strong so upped the pace. There was another bit of uphill at the start of this mile which allowed me to pass a few more before the final descent. I’m not good on downhills but made a determined effort not to get passed here. I could hear shouts from spectators suggesting one or two were gaining but the last 100 yrd uphill dash to the finish kept them at bay.

Crossed in 1:33:10. Delighted with my efforts considering the training hasn’t been great and the fact that I had the hilly Fat Turkey 10k 2 weeks ago.

Top notch organising by Waterford AC, very well marshalled and grub after was great although the route was exactly the prettiest.

Met up with FBOT and Duanington after who both had decent PB’s. Well done lads.

A good start to the year. Hopefully some more improvements from here on...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Ferris B wrote: »
    There was a nice uphill drag ( I like uphills) at miles 10/11 where I passed quite a few.

I assumed you were being sarcastic when you said that yesterday ! Well done again, nicely done

Well done C great running :)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Great running and reporting. Well done yesterday.

Sounds like that course suited you!! Well done, the strong finish must be very encouraging. I want to see you and FBOT all coordinated in the hats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nice and consistent with a strong finish, well done. What's the main target for the year?

dintbo wrote: »
    Great running and reporting. Well done yesterday.

Thanks and well done yourself. We probably rubbed shoulders along the way.
    annapr wrote: »
    I want to see you and FBOT all coordinated in the hats :)

We've already received compliments from Mrs Mc...'loving the hot pink hat , ladies':rolleyes:
    BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Nice and consistent with a strong finish, well done. What's the main target for the year?

Cheers BB. What I'd like is a good marathon in the Autumn, probably DCM. Hope to do Cork in June as a warmer upper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Great result C.
    Very solid pacing.

Terrific! Not surprised at the sandbagger accusations - only two of your splits were (marginally) over 7:15, never mind 7:30. And most people complain about that little uphill finish! Definitely sounds like your kind of course. Well done.

Sunday 10th Jan
    5m Recovery. Ave 8:46.

Legs understandably tight after Saturday’s efforts in Waterford.

Tues 12th Jan
    6.9m w/ 8x 150m strides

My next race is to be Raheny 5 so using the last few weeks of a P&D 8K-10k program as a basis for my running until feb. Ran the strides along the coast and they unusually fast and comfortable until I realised they were wind assisted.

Wed 13th Jan
    5.2m; Ave 8:05

This was supposed to be a 7m run but I made mistake with my route by giving myself a bailout option after 5m and like a wuss I took it. I was tired, hungry, cold ...fail.

Sat 16th
    9.4m incl 5k tune up race (parkrun)

A couple of warm up miles on a frosty morning. Big crowds in st annes today with operation transformation joining in. Didn’t feel particularly lively and my pace was down a bit. Slightly harder to breathe with the cold air but maybe that’s just an excuse. There’s a shamrocks runner who finished just ahead of me in the Fat Turkey 10k and Waterford ½ and I tracked him for most of today’s run but he finished 2s ahead of me. I could try and blame the fact he cut the 2nd last corner ...tut, tut... but he still would have had me. Next time.
    Finished in 19:49.

Lots of boards folk around. Coffee and good chat after with Murph_D, Laura_ac3. Kenny_g71, Mrs Mc, Killerz & FBOT among others in from the cold later having done stellar work herding all 460 parkrunners through the finishing funnel. Well done folks. Wonder what the numbers will be in 2 months time.

• Advertisement

Nah, you'd have had him if he hadn't cut the corner. Poor show, and a very bad example for any OT folks who might have been watching. :pac:

Sunday 17th
    9.3m Ave 7:37

Headed straight out after got in from ½ a game of golf. Just ran at a pace that felt comfortable but turned out to be faster than I expected.

Was in the first mile when a car with a flat tyre pulled to a halt beside me. The driver looked puzzled. “ My car is driving funny” she said in a very pleasant foreign accent. I informed her as to her problem. Her blank look and fluttering eyes suggested I should offer to help. Having lifted out the spare tyre it turned out she’d no jack in the car, a battered old golf. Couldn’t do much more for her so headed on my way.

Coming back later in mile 8 the same damsel in distress had somehow found herself a bike and was now cycling towards me and gave me a big wave and thank you which was nice to receive.

Finished with a couple of faster ones.

Must have been my good deed that gave me some pep in my step today.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Ferris B wrote: »
    Sunday 17th
    9.3m Ave 7:37

Headed straight out after got in from ½ a game of golf. Just ran at a pace that felt comfortable but turned out to be faster than I expected.

Was in the first mile when a car with a flat tyre pulled to a halt beside me. The driver looked puzzled. “ My car is driving funny” she said in a very pleasant foreign accent. I informed her as to her problem. Her blank look and fluttering eyes suggested I should offer to help. Having lifted out the spare tyre it turned out she’d no jack in the car, a battered old golf. Couldn’t do much more for her so headed on my way.

Coming back later in mile 8 the same damsel in distress had somehow found herself a bike and was now cycling towards me and gave me a big wave and thank you which was nice to receive.

Finished with a couple of faster ones.

Must have been my good deed that gave me some pep in my step today.;)

Yep I'd say it was the good deed alright ;)

Tues 19th Jan
    8m inc 4x400 & 4x800

I’ve been mulling over joining a club for the last few years. If I’m going to continue running it would be a shame not to at least try it even if it turns out to be not for me. With this in mind I’d to pick a club. There are really only two options Shamrocks (local) or Crusaders (near to work). Logistically, Raheny is difficult for me to get to in the evening while Irishtown is manageable. With this in mind I took myself to the tues eve session in Crusaders for a tryout. I had pre arranged to meet Murph_D there and he kindly held my hand for the evening, protected me from the bullies and explained to me what a running track is.

I got a few miles warm up along Sandymount strand on my own first before entering the hallowed turf of a real running club. I was quizzed as to my current 5k time (19:30 ish) and with that and after a ‘dynamic warm up’ (think ’Dad’ dancing while running in a circle) I was ushered into lane 4 and instructed to do 4x400 followed by 4x800. I normally dislike intervals but it was so much easier with others around. In fact it was comforting to see others suffer too whereas I’m usually on my own wondering what am I at. It was all over so quick though.

So I completed my first club session. Got home and signed up. I’m now part of the ‘Cru’:D...until of course they find me out.:eek:

Sure lets just see what this brings....

PS. Thanks Murph for the intro.

Next thing they'll be signing you up for masters XC! :eek:

You nailed it C. Was watching you proudly from way back, thinking how you were doing so much better than me on my first visit. :)

Now we have to work on P & M.

Congrats C best of luck with the club running does that mean you will be togged out as a cru at the raheny 5 .... Kodak moment !

There will be more than 80 of us at Raheny so he'll be hard to spot!

annapr wrote: »
    Next thing they'll be signing you up for masters XC! :eek:

Wouldn't mind trying that mud bath at some stage. Feel though you should really be >50 before you're called a master.
    Murph_D wrote: »
    You nailed it C. Was watching you proudly from way back, thinking how you were doing so much better than me on my first visit. :)

I had the benefit of your experience.
    Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Congrats C best of luck with the club running does that mean you will be togged out as a cru at the raheny 5 .... Kodak moment !

Cheers A. Am currently getting sleeves sown on to my singlet.

• Advertisement

Wed 20th Jan
    4m Recovery, Ave 8:46

Home early so took local route for a gentle 4m. Passed the Shamrocks setting up for a workout on the seafront. Felt a slight pang of guilt for shunning them. I’m sure they were real disappointed! :rolleyes:

Thurs 21st Jan
    6.6m gen aerobic w/6x hill strides. Ave 7:51

Out along the seafront. Ran the strides up the hill in st annes in the pitch dark. It was only on my third stride I noticed 4 lit cigarattes (with owners attached presumably) at the top of the hill staring out at me from the dark of the park. Gave me bit of a fright as they were only a few yards away but couldn’t see their faces. Reckon they might scouts for Shamrocks checking out the competition.

Bumped in to Mrs Mc on my way home full of the joys looking like she was thoroughly enjoying her run.

Advertisement