Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RSA Directors Suspended

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

It will be an interesting case.;)

I expect there are a few skeletons looking forward to coming out of their closet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

I expect there are a few skeletons looking forward to coming out of their closet!

:D

Guess there are sweaty armpits in other Companies Boardrooms too ???

Insurance Companies have had a very patchy history in Ireland.

Remember, PMPA, Insurance Corporation of Ireland, Quinn ?

Are we likely to see a repeat of something like the Banking crisis? ;)

Interesting move!
    I expect it would be easier to fight one's corner within the tent than outside it. If he had concerns regarding decisions made by UK Operations, why did he wait until now to jump ship?
    The CEO was the Captain of the ship, jumping overboard and swimming seems an unusual move. The ship is afloat, the hole in the stern has been repaired.
    There is always a fall guy, it will be interesting to see what action his fellow suspended Directors take.;)

Well he was highly unlikely to be "unsuspended". He's never going to be able to get a high level job like that again so might as well try and get a few million squid out of them through the courts. This guy brought in a fair lot of people from his previous employer into RSA - they won't be too happy about current events.

glasso wrote: »
    Well he was highly unlikely to be "unsuspended". He's never going to be able to get a high level job like that again so might as well try and get a few million squid out of them through the courts. This guy brought in a fair lot of people from his previous employer into RSA - they won't be too happy about current events.

Obviously I wish Mr. Smith and his family well at this traumatic time, especially on the run into Christmas.
    True Mr. Smith is unlikely to attain a similar post in the future, however if he is an innocent fall guy is it not better to vindicate himself by staying aboard the RSA ship. Resigning, and then fighting RSA through the Courts??? Trying to get a few million quid???
    If RSA were to fire him, surely he would have a stronger case against them for wrongful or constructive dismissal?
    As for colleagues he may have headhunted, what can one say ? No doubt they are very concerned for their careers.
    Incidentally, I do not know Mr. Smith, nor his background in Financial Services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Obviously I wish Mr. Smith and his family well at this traumatic time, especially on the run into Christmas.
    Really?

His family sure, but they'll be fine with the silly money he has made there. Meanwhile, he is surely just as guilty as anyone else in regards to this, if not more so.

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    Really?

His family sure, but they'll be fine with the silly money he has made there. Meanwhile, he is surely just as guilty as anyone else in regards to this, if not more so.

Interesting comment.

At this point, I consider Mr. Smith to be innocent until proven otherwise.

If he carried out his duties in an unprofessional or reckless manner, yes, he will have to face the consequences of his actions. Absolutely no argument !

His resignation at this point in time is a surprise. He will need the best legal brains in the country for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Interesting comment.

At this point, I consider Mr. Smith to be innocent until proven otherwise.

If he carried out his duties in an unprofessional or reckless manner, yes, he will have to face the consequences of his actions. Absolutely no argument !

His resignation at this point in time is a surprise. He will need the best legal brains in the country for this one.

Heard on the grapevine yesterday that he received a settlement of just over €900k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Gyalist wrote: »
    Heard on the grapevine yesterday that he received a settlement of just over €900k.

I would be surprised if any settlements are made until the CBI has decided on what it is doing.

The company is facing a fine of up to €35m and any director involved in wrongdoing faces a fine of up to €1m.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/former-rsa-chief-philip-smith-takes-case-to-appeals-tribunal-1.2073101

Philo is taking RSA to Court for his dismissal.....RSA confident they will win.

Also

RSA Insurance Group Plc said it will fight a constructive dismissal case filed by the former head of its Irish unit, who stepped down more than a year ago amid an accounting scandal. Philip Smith, who was was paid 34,000 euros :eek::eek::eek: a month as chief executive officer of the unit, resigned in November 2013 without severance pay saying he was being made a "fall-guy."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

:confused:
    I thought more people would be interested in this, as it's one of the reasons we're all paying through the nose for insurance this year...maybe wrong forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Ireland’s biggest insurance company RSA plans to appeal the €1.25 million award by the Employment Appeals Tribunal (EAT) to its former chief executive Philip Smith.
    In a statement RSA Insurance Ireland said: “We are extremely disappointed by the Tribunal’s decision and fundamentally disagree with it. We are considering our options but intend to appeal the judgement.”
    Mr Smith had brought a case for constructive dismissal against RSA to the tribunal which began last March.

Irish Times

Good luck with the appeal. I know that it's been a difficult time for him.

Advertisement