Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RSA Directors Suspended

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

P_1 wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIG#Financial_crisis

Nothing too dodgy with the Irish operation but I didn't like how they changed their name to avoid some of the flak they were getting (horrifically cynical in my eyes).

Remember insure.ie? A few years back AON took them over as a way of breaking into the Irish insurance market changing the name to AONinsure.ie, RSA bought the business last year (presumably as a way of increasing 123.ie's market share)

Wow! Thanks.

AON and 123.ie were Brokers, no?:confused:

Hard to keep up with who owns whom!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Quinn, pmpa, another one during the 80's that i forgot about and now this.....
    All this has happened before and all this will happen again.

phuck me BSG really taught me a lot about how the world works.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Wow! Thanks.

AON and 123.ie were Brokers, no?:confused:

Hard to keep up with who owns whom!

They used to be but then became 'wholly owned subsidiaries' of RSA and AON respectively.

I think Chill and the AA are the only big brokers left in the Irish insurance market noew

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Guess there is a lot of heavy breathing going on in the Boardrooms of other Insurance Companies right now.;)

Not just the insurance companies. I'd say that there is apprehension in the offices of both Cricket Ireland and Cricket Leinster as RSA have been very generous sponsors for the past few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

It will be interesting to see how things unfold...................:)

Gyalist wrote: »
    Not just the insurance companies. I'd say that there is apprehension in the offices of both Cricket Ireland and Cricket Leinster as RSA have been very generous sponsors for the past few years.

Never thought of that aspect alright, there has been a fairly large investment into Irish cricket over the past few years and I'd imagine that the RSA sponsorship has helped that along significantly. I hope the contract isn't up for renegotiation in the immediate future

Never thought of that aspect alright, there has been a fairly large investment into Irish cricket over the past few years and I'd imagine that the RSA sponsorship has helped that along significantly. I hope the contract isn't up for renegotiation in the immediate future

RSA have also been sponsoring Terenure Cricket Club who have been recruiting for their return to Div. 1 next season. I suspect that they'll be the first casualty.

kupus wrote: »
    Quinn, pmpa, another one during the 80's that i forgot about and now this.....
    All this has happened before and all this will happen again.

phuck me BSG really taught me a lot about how the world works.

So who will be next?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Please tell me that AIG/Chartis/AIG haven't been forgotten about already? Also lest we forget RSA buying out AON's Irish operation earlier on in the year too
    That was AonInsure, it was only a broker like Chill.ie or the AA which didn't carry Aon underwritten policies (with a few exceptions that have been redirected to a different Aon office I would imagine). Though there apparently was a LOT of dodgy goings on in the buyout. ;)

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    That was AonInsure, it was only a broker like Chill.ie or the AA which didn't carry Aon underwritten policies (with a few exceptions that have been redirected to a different Aon office I would imagine). Though there apparently was a LOT of dodgy goings on in the buyout. ;)

Ah were they still a broker after AON came onto the scene? I always thought they were like a 123.ie for AON after that happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Ah were they still a broker after AON came onto the scene? I always thought they were like a 123.ie for AON after that happened
    Yeah, their motorcycle insurance and I think some more commercial stuff went to Aon direct, but otherwise all that really changed in that buyout was the name on the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

If you read the communications coming out of RSA, the emphasis has been very much we found an issue, we plugged the hole and suspended those responsible, now everything is back to normal.

I'm hoping they take the view that continuing sponsorship like they have is the best way of demonstrating it.

Billy86 wrote: »

Like what????:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,048 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Phillip Smith is a big cricket fan, and I presume was the driving force behind that deal. Was one of the first things I thought of when I heard this news. Hopefully it won't have a major adverse effect as RSA have been very good to Irish cricket recently.

If you read the communications coming out of RSA, the emphasis has been very much we found an issue, we plugged the hole and suspended those responsible, now everything is back to normal.

I'm hoping they take the view that continuing sponsorship like they have is the best way of demonstrating it.

Yes I have read the spin from RSA. One thing Insurers Marketing Depts. are extremely good at is spin.:rolleyes: I'm not convinced with their spin. I would like to hear the Regulators Spin on this one!
    Sincerely hope things are back to normal, though if the Regulator is actually doing his job, I guess he will be asking a lot more questions involving all the Insurers.:rolleyes:There are not that many Insurance Companies between A & Z !
    As for spin bowling I certainly hope the cricket sponsorship will continue.;)

Who knows what will happen. RSA Ireland have just cost the group 70 million euro so they might be seeking to recoup some of their losses in any way then can. It will boil down to being committed to the Irish market or not. If they decide to retrench then local sponsorship will not be high on their agenda.

Questions have been raised as to the Central Bank's oversight of RSA, although it is understood that the watchdog had been monitoring the insurer for a number of months.

Irish Independent;)

Perhaps the Directors will appear on Celebrity Master Chef :rolleyes:???

• Advertisement

Phillip Smith is a big cricket fan, and I presume was the driving force behind that deal. Was one of the first things I thought of when I heard this news. Hopefully it won't have a major adverse effect as RSA have been very good to Irish cricket recently.

Philip who? Guess he will be pursuing other business interests fairly soon?

The suspension of a Company's CEO is a very serious matter. If he has been wrongly suspended, well watch this space............:)

glasso wrote: »
    Who knows what will happen. RSA Ireland have just cost the group 70 million euro so they might be seeking to recoup some of their losses in any way then can. It will boil down to being committed to the Irish market or not. If they decide to retrench then local sponsorship will not be high on their agenda.

Recouping their losses means screwing the staff and policyholders:)

It may also be the first sign of savage rate increases across the market.

It must be sweaty armpit time in the various boardrooms.

Recouping their losses means screwing the staff and policyholders:)

It may also be the first sign of savage rate increases across the market.

It must be sweaty armpit time in the various boardrooms.

well appears as if the policies were under-priced in the first place which caused the issue so yes no doubt certain classes of non-life insurance in Ireland will go up in price.

glasso wrote: »
    well appears as if the policies were under-priced in the first place which caused the issue so yes no doubt certain classes of non-life insurance in Ireland will go up in price.

Guess competitors were busy following the market downwards in order to retain their market share? Are we likely to see problems in other Companies too?

Central Bank claims it warned RSA of its problems last August.;)

porsche959 wrote: »

Yep, that confirms what I was told last week by a friend of his. He felt that he was having to take the rap for decisons made by the UK operations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Yep, that confirms what I was told last week by a friend of his. He felt that he was having to take the rap for decisons made by the UK operations.

At least that's what his lawyer will be arguing in his constructive dismissal case.

Interesting move!
    I expect it would be easier to fight one's corner within the tent than outside it. If he had concerns regarding decisions made by UK Operations, why did he wait until now to jump ship?
    The CEO was the Captain of the ship, jumping overboard and swimming seems an unusual move. The ship is afloat, the hole in the stern has been repaired.
    There is always a fall guy, it will be interesting to see what action his fellow suspended Directors take.;)

• Advertisement

At least that's what his lawyer will be arguing in his constructive dismissal case.

It will be an interesting case.;)

Advertisement