Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock - The BBC4/BBC3/BBC2/BBC1 Music Programmes thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The first two Pretenders albums are new wave gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Has anyone ever actually seen Chrissie Hynde's eyes?

• Registered Users Posts: 72,286 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Guilty pleasure :O

A song about Japan :pac:

WTF :confused: :eek:

• Advertisement

Hooray!

*on-the-spot dancing*

I'd forgotten all about Bad Manners! (Probably for a good reason :D)

Is that the most unlikely vision of a reggae singer ever to appear on telly, ever?

Dennis Waterman! :eek: :eek: :D

Dennis Waterman! :eek: :eek: :D
    He's not bad, in fairness to him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

TOTP 1980 cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

There be a Britpop night on Sky Arts 1 tonight

http://www.sky.com/tv/show/pulp-live?dcmp=emc-ARTS02WEB/BritPopNight

7.30pm - Radiohead: Meeting People Is Easy

8.30pm - Discovering: Pulp

9pm - Pulp Live

10pm - Oasis: Live At The Barrowlands

11.30pm - Oasis: Video Killed The Radio Star

And there is a Fleetwood Mac night tomorrow

http://www.sky.com/tv/show/fleetwood-mac?dcmp=emc-ARTS02WEB/FleetwoodMacNight

Fleetwood Mac: Rumours - Classic Albums - 7.40pm

Fleetwood Mac: Live In Boston Part 1 - 9pm

Fleetwood Mac: Live In Boston Part 1 - 10pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Did they show Silver Dream Machine? Boo-urns if they didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,598 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Mentioned on here a few times for its soundtrack...

The Sting started a few mins ago on ITV4.

Brilliant film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

efb wrote: »
    TOTP 1980 cool

Would I be spoiling it if I said that there's a strike coming up...? :o:D;)

Would anybody post here, kindly,if you hear about any programmes featuring my current favourite, Richard Hawley? Many thanks.

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Would anybody post here, kindly,if you hear about any programmes featuring my current favourite, Richard Hawley? Many thanks.

Will do, no bother.

Hawley joined Pulp as guitarist for their final gig to date, as documented in last year's 'A Film About Life, Death and Supermarkets'

The Brixton Academy show on Sky Arts now. :)

I miss Britpop :(

I miss Britpop :(

Can't believe it was two decades ago now... :eek: :eek: :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Don't say it like that! It was 10 years ago!

• Advertisement

-=al=- wrote: »

A bit further back, maybe...

1992 (Suede's first singles on Nude) to Autumn 1997/Spring 1998 (Oasis release 'Be Here Now', Pulp release 'This Is Hardcore').

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

A bit further back, maybe...

1992 (Suede's first singles on Nude) to Autumn 1997/Spring 1998 (Oasis release 'Be Here Now', Pulp release 'This Is Hardcore').

For me personally, I have always felt that Summer 1996 , and in particular Oasis at Knebworth was both the peak and start of the rapid demise of Britpop. That was as big as it ever could have gotten. IIRC Oasis would mess up a US tour soon after and by the time they returned the next summer with Be Here Now, the magic was gone.

In that time, Blur had grown up somewhat and had released their finest single (IMO) Beetlebum. Very different from their early sound aswell.

Fun times though....I do miss the 90s.

-=al=- wrote: »

Have we suddenly gone back to 2005? :eek: :o:D:);)

mzungu wrote: »
    For me personally, I have always felt that Summer 1996 , and in particular Oasis at Knebworth was both the peak and start of the rapid demise of Britpop. That was as big as it ever could have gotten. IIRC Oasis would mess up a US tour soon after and by the time they returned the next summer with Be Here Now, the magic was gone.

Summer '96, of course, was when everything changed again thanks to five young ladies - two of whom had the same first name, and came from Leeds and Liverpool respectively... :o;)

For many, the golden period of Britpop was between October 1995 (Oasis release 'Wonderwall' as a single) to August 1996 (Oasis play Knebworth).

So much happened within that time period...

Several British guitar bands scored their first UK Top 10 single - Dodgy, Sleeper, The Bluetones, Ocean Colour Scene, Shed Seven, Menswear...oh, and Kula Shaker :o.

Plus UK Top 20 singles for The Divine Comedy, Echobelly, Gene, Longpigs, Marion, McAlmont And Butler, Dubstar, Mansun, Space, Super Furry Animals :cool:...oh, and Northern Uproar :o.

The Jarvis/Michael Jackson incident at the Brit Awards.

'TFI Friday' launches.

'The Help Album' is released, in aid of the War Child charity - featured Blur, Oasis, Salad and Suede.

Take That split, giving guitar bands more coverage in 'tween' magazines such as Smash Hits.

Blur's Alex James scores a Top 20 single with his 'supergroup' Me Me Me.

Oasis play Maine Road.

And Noel Gallagher is considered so powerful in the music industry, he has a genre named after him - Noelrock :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :).

It ran out of steam very quickly, and what was left of Britpop died on 31 August 1997 with Diana. After that, Robbie Williams and unthreatening Pop took over.

Symbolically, the late night ITV Chart Show was playing the Sleeper/Supergrass rip-off Bingo by Catch when they went to the Newsflash. (1 min 32)

Still, It was great while it lasted. Every week you could hear exciting new bands on TFI, TOTP, CD:UK and other shows. Happy Days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Plus UK Top 20 singles for The Divine Comedy, Echobelly, Gene, Longpigs, Marion, McAlmont And Butler, Dubstar, Mansun, Space, Super Furry Animals :cool:...oh, and Northern Uproar :o.

Her out of Echobelly came up to me in the bar before one of their shows (which I wasn't there for) and told me my t-shirt was very cool.

She was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,598 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Aye, it was very exciting for a while. I was very much an Oasis feller (ignoring a brief period when I hated them because my mate told me Liam was quoted as saying "Macca can f*** off" in some interview at some stage. Didn't take much to set me off back then.), but I loved Blur too. Seemed like everything was good for a year or two (does Alisha's Attic count as Britpop? :-D ).

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Seemed like everything was good for a year or two (does Alisha's Attic count as Britpop? :-D ).

A lot of 'pop' acts certainly jumped on the bandwagon...take it away, Sean! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Have we suddenly gone back to 2005? :eek: :o:D:)

Summer '96, of course, was when everything changed again thanks to five young ladies - two of whom had the same first name, and came from Leeds and Liverpool respectively... :o;)

Less said about that the better eh ! :D

For many, the golden period of Britpop was between October 1995 (Oasis release 'Wonderwall' as a single) to August 1996 (Oasis play Knebworth).

Several British guitar bands scored their first UK Top 10 single - Dodgy, Sleeper, The Bluetones, Ocean Colour Scene, Shed Seven, Menswear...oh, and Kula Shaker :o.

'TFI Friday' launches.

'The Help Album' is released, in aid of the War Child charity - featured Blur, Oasis, Salad and Suede.

Take That split, giving guitar bands more coverage in 'tween' magazines such as Smash Hits.

Oasis play Maine Road.

And Noel Gallagher is considered so powerful in the music industry, he has a genre named after him - Noelrock :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :).

Always liked Kula Shaker. They were given a rough time of it by the critics and generally thought of as a bit of a joke. But by god I still throw on 'K' every now and again, some absolute belters on that album. Love the britpop meets the east vibe. Granted it had been done before, but they did it well IMO.

Northern Uproar, I read about them a few weeks back in an online article. It appeared their guitarist Jeff Fletcher, was killed recently in a car accident. RIP.
    Skid X wrote: »
    It ran out of steam very quickly, and what was left of Britpop died on 31 August 1997 with Diana. After that, Robbie Williams and unthreatening Pop took over.

Symbolically, the late night ITV Chart Show was playing the Sleeper/Supergrass rip-off Bingo by Catch when they went to the Newsflash. (1 min 32)

Still, It was great while it lasted. Every week you could hear exciting new bands on TFI, TOTP, CD:UK and other shows. Happy Days.

TFI was where it was at. Who can forget that infamous Shaun Ryder appearance....my god they sure don't have shows like that anymore ;)
    A lot of 'pop' acts certainly jumped on the bandwagon...take it away, Sean! :D

Crikey....1997 he was a bit late to the party though eh! I wonder was he purposefully doing a Robbie / Damon hybrid of a performance there in that video. Woeful tune either way !!

• Advertisement

'TFI Friday' launches.

Oasis play Maine Road.

And among the #1 singles during this period were...

and...

By the time of that Knebworth concert, however, the aforementioned five young ladies were entering their fourth week at the top, and would remain there for a further three.

And before '96 was out, they'd visit the #1 spot twice more, including at Christmas. :o

mzungu wrote: »
    Less said about that the better eh ! :D

But I've always liked Mel C... uh, I mean, the Liverpool one. :o:o:D;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement