Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock - The BBC4/BBC3/BBC2/BBC1 Music Programmes thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

You gave me a scare then! Phew, only BBC Norn Iron with the Stupid O'Clock transmission time...

Ha, yeah their uncanny knack of re-scheduling anything decent which should be on at a decent hour is irritating. I used to get BBC Wales and they were bad enough, but the Nordies are in a different league.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

Skid X wrote: »
    Ha, yeah their uncanny knack of re-scheduling anything decent which should be on at a decent hour is irritating. I used to get BBC Wales and they were bad enough, but the Nordies are in a different league.
    I digress slightly, but years ago we used to be watching Grandstand and just after the classified results,instead of more 1st Division reports, we'd get "And now the day's sport from Northern Ireland". Nooooo... Nowadays with a satellite dish you can watch any BBC region you want.

Back to the music. I always secretly fancied that Amazonian female singer in the Darts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,919 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Billy Joel - hurray! One of my all-time favourites.

*sets recorder*

Just catching up on the Shirley Bassey programmes..... holy god, what a voice! And what a lovely woman she seems to be.

Big thank you to Skid for the tipoffs for the programmes - the chances of me catching any of them live are close to zero, but they make for great viewing at some (or many) later date!

On a slight side note, I think I'm going to have to go and dig out more Morecambe & Wise singer videos - if Tom Jones and Shirley are anything to go by, they're worth finding! Anyone know of any other ones worth viewing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

On a slight side note, I think I'm going to have to go and dig out more Morecambe & Wise singer videos - if Tom Jones and Shirley are anything to go by, they're worth finding! Anyone know of any other ones worth viewing?

Des O'Connor.

• Advertisement

Just catching up on the Shirley Bassey programmes..... holy god, what a voice! And what a lovely woman she seems to be.

Big thank you to Skid for the tipoffs for the programmes - the chances of me catching any of them live are close to zero, but they make for great viewing at some (or many) later date!

Cheers HeidiHeidi :)

Here's a few that might be worth a look ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Where is everyone? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 72,154 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Great Prince documentary...oh no, let's go!

Ah Lets Go Crazy - bedroom guitar heaven!

The whole 'Purple Rain' soundtrack is awesome - time to give it a blast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

All about the Synth tonight on BBC4.
    Edit: Man, that guy from Sparks was weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

1982 New Order. Love that dark New Order sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Synth Pop sounds very dated now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Paul McCartney is on Jonathan Ross' show tonight. It's in ITV+1 right now.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Paul McCartney is on Jonathan Ross' show tonight. It's in ITV+1 right now.

Nice one. By the way, that Queen Doc I recommended to you a few weeks ago is on next Friday on Four (Part 1 at 9pm, Part 2 at 10pm)
    9pm - Part one of two. Documentary telling the story of the extravagant British rock outfit. The band's best-known line-up, consisting of singer Freddie Mercury, guitarist Brian May, bass player John Deacon and drummer Roger Taylor, formed in 1971 and went on to become one of the world's most popular rock acts - but their career was dogged by controversy and tragedy
    10pm - The second part of the documentary focuses on the peak of the rock outfit's fortunes, as they broke attendance records at stadium shows across South America. However, the band suffered a blip as internal tensions increased - until their performance at Live Aid and the 1986 Magic tour returned them to world attention, before frontman Freddie Mercury received devastating news

Led Zeppelin night on Sky Arts now, started with the 2007 reunion gig, Celebration Day!

Just watched the last episode of 'Foo Fighters: Sonic Highways' - overall, a superb series :)

Even if you're not a fan of the Foos music, it was good to hear a bit of musical history from each city.

And yes, only Dave Grohl is the only musician cool enough to interview President Obama :cool: :D

Big thanks (again) to Skid for the tipoff....

Just enjoying (as are my neighbours, probably :eek:) the Billy Joel concert from Leningrad as well as the docu about his trip to Russia before the wall came down.

Incredible stuff remembering how the world was then!

(and the music is bloody brilliant!)

Big thanks (again) to Skid for the tipoff....

Just enjoying (as are my neighbours, probably :eek:) the Billy Joel concert from Leningrad as well as the docu about his trip to Russia before the wall came down.

Incredible stuff remembering how the world was then!

(and the music is bloody brilliant!)

Nice one HH :)

I saw those programmes a while ago, really good stuff. Apparently that tour of the USSR cost him a lot of money, but it made a huge impact.

http://historyofrussia.org/billy-joels-historic-soviet-concert-tour/

Rolling Stones on BBC4 now (Live from Hyde Park 2013) There's a compilation of their BBC performances on aftewards (11.45pm)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Hope you all saw the first part of Brian Pern - A Life In Rock (BBC2..its gone mainstream) tonight. Contains some good lessons for dysfunctional supergroups of the future - Kathy Burke don't do musicals with music in and keep Dave Cameron and Theresa May in comps just in case.

Just caught the end of it. Will watch out for it again, seemed pretty good.

I thought Brian Pern was great again. It's not repeated, unfortunately, but there is another episode next Tuesday.

Incidentally, Rhys Thomas (who co-writes and appears in Brian Pern) was the writer of the excellent Queen documentary which is repeated on BBC Four on Friday. And here's some other programmes which might be worth a look ...

Wednesday BBC4

Midnight - Boogie Fever: A TOTP2 Disco Special
    Steve Wright presents performances of disco classics from the BBC archives, featuring George McCrae, Chic, Gloria Gaynor, Sophie Ellis-Bextor, Edwin Starr, the Weather Girls, Liquid Gold, Heatwave, the Bee Gees, Earth Wind & Fire, Tina Charles, the JALN Band, Hi-Tension, Sylvester, the Village People, Boney M, Linx, Yazz, Infernal, the Three Degrees, Blondie, the Gibson Brothers and Rick Dees and His Cast of Idiots

1.30am - The Joy of Disco
    Why one of the most frequently derided forms of pop music provided the soundtrack to some of the most important social changes of the 1970s, including gay liberation and female empowerment. The programme also explores how the New York disco scene laid the foundations for modern club culture, tells the tale of how acts including Chic, Sister Sledge and George McCrae broke into the mainstream on both sides of the Atlantic, and explores the importance of the film Saturday Night Fever in shaping the image of disco music around the world. Featuring contributions by Chic's Nile Rodgers, Robin Gibb, Kathy Sledge of Sister Sledge, songwriter Kenny Gamble and the Tramps' Earl Young

Thursday BBC1 & RTE2

8pm: BBC Music Awards
    Chris Evans and Fearne Cotton host the inaugural BBC Music Awards, broadcast live from London's Earls Court. An array of British and international singers and bands come together to celebrate the past year in music, and there could be a few surprising collaborations. Performers confirmed so far include Ed Sheeran, Paloma Faith, Take That, Coldplay, George Ezra, Labrinth, Ella Henderson, Calvin Harris and pop-classical fusion quartet Clean Bandit - and not forgetting a certain boy band going by the name of One Direction. During the evening, three awards will be presented - British Artist of the Year, International Artist of the Year and Song of the Year - and while the first two are chosen by a panel of music journalists, the last one is voted for by members of the public. Also being broadcast on Radio 1 and Radio 2

Thursday BBC4

7.30pm & 1am - Top Of The Pops 1979
    Mike Read presents an edition first broadcast on December 13, 1979. Featuring music from Fiddler's Dram, Paul McCartney, the Tourists, Abba, the Beat, the Inmates, Blondie, the Pretenders and Pink Floyd. With dance sequences by Legs & Co

1.35am Sounds of The 70s 2: Punk - Anarchy on the BBC
    Performances by punk and punk-influenced bands from the BBC archives, including X-Ray Spex, Joy Division, the Damned, the Undertones, the Buzzcocks, the Rezillos, the Stranglers, the Clash, the Jam and the Sex Pistols

Friday BBC4

9pm & 1am - Queen: Days of Our Lives (Part 1)
    Part one of two. Documentary telling the story of the extravagant British rock outfit. The band's best-known line-up, consisting of singer Freddie Mercury, guitarist Brian May, bass player John Deacon and drummer Roger Taylor, formed in 1971 and went on to become one of the world's most popular rock acts - but their career was dogged by controversy and tragedy

10pm & 2am - Queen: Days of Our Lives (Part 2)
    The second part of the documentary focuses on the peak of the rock outfit's fortunes, as they broke attendance records at stadium shows across South America. However, the band suffered a blip as internal tensions increased - until their performance at Live Aid and the 1986 Magic tour returned them to world attention, before frontman Freddie Mercury received devastating news

11pm & 3am- Great American Rock Anthems: Turn it up to 11
    Huey Morgan presents the story of some of the greatest US rock anthems that emerged during the 1970s, 80s and 90s. A distinct sound evolved from blues and early metal, featuring loud drums, distinct guitar riffs and catchy lyrics, which produced a storm of feel-good tunes. The film focuses on tracks including Alice Cooper's School's Out, Don't Stop Believin' by Journey, Eye of the Tiger by Survivor, Bon Jovi's Livin' on a Prayer and Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit. With contributions by Dave Grohl, Toto, Foreigner and more

Midnight - Even More Guitar Heroes at the BBC
    Archive performances of the most iconic artists and bands from the 1960s and 1970s, featuring Pictures of Matchstick Men by Status Quo, the Who's single Long Live Rock, Tunnel of Love by Dire Straits and Lynyrd Skynyrd's classic Sweet Home Alabama. Plus, rare clips of George Benson, Leo Kottke, Link Wray and Tom Petty

Saturday BBC4

10.50pm - The Richest Songs In The World (20th time this has been show on the BBC in less than two years!
    Mark Radcliffe presents a countdown of the 10 songs that have earned the most money of all time, along with the stories behind them. He also explains how music royalties work and reveals the biggest winners and losers in the history of popular music

12.20am - Sounds Of The Sixties
    Recalling a decade in British music, with archive performances from the early stages of the `swingin' era, featuring music by by rock, pop and R'n'B artists including the Springfields, the Shadows, the Beatles and the Rolling Stones

12.50am - Sounds Of The Sixties
    Celebration of the decade's psychedelic music, featuring counter-culture classics by the Who, Pink Floyd, Joe Cocker, the Nice and the Jimi Hendrix Experience

1.20am - Top Of The Pops 1979

Monday BBC4

12.35am - Quadrophenia: Can you see the real Me?
    Guitarist Pete Townshend revisits his former haunts in Shepherd's Bush and Battersea, London, to reflect on the Who's sixth studio album Quadrophenia, released in 1973. He recalls how the record was nearly abandoned due to financial problems, a culture of drink and drugs, and a studio that was under construction. Featuring contributions by fellow band member Roger Daltrey, manager Bill Curbishley and record producer Ron Nevison

Tuesday BBC2
    10pm BBC 2 (except BBC2 NI who show it at 11.20pm - Brian Pern: A Life in Rock
    Part2: To mark the very convoluted anniversary of the non-release of his unheard debut solo LP Brian Pern's Musical Version of The Day of the Triffids, the musician plans to stage the entire album live from the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro with a host of special guests. The groundbreaking show not only reveals the technical challenges of performing live music, but also the physical strains facing the ageing rock stars of Brian's generation. Spoof music documentary, starring Simon Day, Michael Kitchen, Paul Whitehouse and Nigel Havers, with cameo appearances by Roger Moore, Dan Snow and Tim Rice

There you are, plenty to be getting on with. The Friday Night BBC4 shows are repeated late night Sunday, as usual. Movie song of the week is this one from Good Morning Vietnam starring the late Robin Williams RIP (Sunday Film 4, 11.25pm)

Heyday (Freesat 402 and SKY 192) have got a few tasty music docs - watching making of "Meddle" (Pink Floyd) right now.

http://www.heyday.tv/schedule

12/12/2014 12:00pm AC/DC - The Brian Johnson Years
    16/12/2014 9:00pm The Kinks On The Road
    17/12/2014 3:00pm Jack Bruce Live
    18/12/2014 2:00pm Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
    18/12/2014 3:00pm The Beatles - Magical History Tour Pt. 1
    19/12/2014 3:00pm The Beatles - Magical History Tour Pt. 2
    22/12/2014 3:00pm The Beatles - Magical History Tour Pt. 3
    23/12/2014 3.00pm The Beatles - Magical History Tour Pt. 4

Oooh. Even More Guitar Heroes at the BBC up now.

I'll give that a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Only tuned the Soarview box today and got rid of loads of crappy stations and stumbled upon this thread randomly as it is on

Pretty good stuff!

Guitar Heroes next :pac:

Deadly. I love these nifty picking fellas.

Haven't a clue how he manages on a 12 stringer, mind you.

We've seen this one before. I remember thinking this George Benson chap seems to have some idea how to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Refugee never gets old. A Heartbreakers classic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Heyday (Freesat 402 and SKY 192) have got a few tasty music docs - watching making of "Meddle" (Pink Floyd) right now.

http://www.heyday.tv/schedule

12/12/2014 12:00pm AC/DC - The Brian Johnson Years
    16/12/2014 9:00pm The Kinks On The Road
    17/12/2014 3:00pm Jack Bruce Live
    18/12/2014 2:00pm Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
    18/12/2014 3:00pm The Beatles - Magical History Tour Pt. 1
    19/12/2014 3:00pm The Beatles - Magical History Tour Pt. 2
    22/12/2014 3:00pm The Beatles - Magical History Tour Pt. 3
    23/12/2014 3.00pm The Beatles - Magical History Tour Pt. 4

Can you get Heyday TV on Filmon, it looks like a good channel, most of the stuff on Filmon would be Freesat or Freeview.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement