Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son dead after Father reports stolen vehicle; police chase

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

bluewolf wrote: »
    Is it possible for police to shoot tyres instead while stopped? Or is that mad unreasonable marksman skillz?

Even if they could, that wouldn't slow down the truck enough to stop it being dangerous.

When I first read the headline I thought "Murica", but having seen the video I think the shooting, while still overkill, is justifiable as self defence. The cop was obviously in a state of panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

guttenberg wrote: »
    Think you mean the third cop, the second one to appear is the skinniest.

word

• Registered Users Posts: 33,356 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Their logic in the US seems to be that they are always under threat, so shoot first and ask questions later. You can maybe understand this in a country where there are so many guns. They probably assume anyone who has gone off the rails is carrying a weapon.

There is also a history of police getting off with shooting people dead, so there seems to be a willingness to shoot at will, knowing you are very unlikely to be charged with anything.

"He was ramming us with a truck, I shot him dead"
    "He was acting suspiciously, I shot him dead"
    "He was acting erratic, I shot him dead"
    "He was coming at us with a metal bar, I shot him dead".

• Registered Users Posts: 82,254 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

bluewolf wrote: »
    Is it possible for police to shoot tyres instead while stopped? Or is that mad unreasonable marksman skillz?
    not realistic and not always effective. the vehicle can still operate on flat tires anyway. Not as effectively, but it's still dangerous.

Advertisement