Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€65m on Irish road signs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

I'm shocked to see them spending this kind of money on road signs

There is no actual proposal to spend any money on roadsigns. Not that this will prevent a thread on boards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭jamesr123

There is no actual proposal to spend any money on roadsigns. Not that this will prevent a thread on boards.

I know the government have their heads up their own asses but even they couldnt be that stupid considering the state of the hospitals, schools, public sector.. That money is so badly needed in other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭That username is already in use.

jamesr123 wrote: »
    That money is so badly needed in other places.

Yes, the money is needed for special schools for people like you. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭jamesr123

Yes, the money is needed for special schools for people like you. :D

fuc.k you...............

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭That username is already in use.

jamesr123 wrote: »
    fuc.k you...............

Hilarious how a certain mod gave me a yellow card, yet jamesr123 got nothing for telling me to f off. No surprise there seeing as the mod is anti-Gaeilge and has it in for me from previous Gaelige threads. Pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

Or maybe we have better things to do at silly o clock on a Sunday morning. Quit your whining.

Be nice to eachother please or stop posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

what's the point in this? this time next year the hedges will be grown over the signs anyway. It'd pay them better to learn how to cut hedges and keep the signs they have visible.

also there seems to be various ways of spelling some town names. Can they not consult with each other instead of having the spelling different on each sign for the place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Filibuster

The Gaelgoir terrorists made the RTPI signs confusing as fcuk and now they're trying their hand at road safety..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Filibuster wrote: »
    The Gaelgoir terrorists made the RTPI signs confusing as fcuk and now they're trying their hand at road safety..

Can't end up much worse than

http://safedrivingforwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/new-irish-learner-permit-2013.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cilles man

Road signs are becoming a thing of the past as a lot of people use sat navs, so trying to justify spending 65m on this project is a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

psinno wrote: »

I'll never understand why we aren't allowed to have an English only option for passports or driving licences(or irish I guess). The layout of the new DL is impractical at best. I don't think anyone will ever use the Irish on it. The small group of irish radicals are only fooling themselves if they think measures that make irish look more prominent like that will make the public more favourable to their cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Its important to keep our language alive anyway we can.
    Also this is €65m going into our economy, through Irish road sign companies, so a boost for jobs as well.

psinno wrote: »
    :confused:

Cad atá cearr leis? What's wrong with it?

:pac:

cilles man wrote: »
    Road signs are becoming a thing of the past as a lot of people use sat navs, so trying to justify spending 65m on this project is a joke.
    Sat navs! A road sign will be far less distracting than a sat nav.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Also this is €65m going into our economy, through Irish road sign companies, so a boost for jobs as well.

meanwhile, ther is little money for Childrens hospitals or tacking the increasing rampant problems of mental illness & addiction in our society - I'm all for promoting Irish , but please lets prioritise where our money is spent.

thebaz wrote: »
    meanwhile, ther is little money for Childrens hospitals or tacking the increasing rampant problems of mental illness & addiction in our society - I'm all for promoting Irish , but please lets prioritise where our money is spent.
    Don't forget that economic activity is about moving money from one account to another and generating as much banking activity to "charge" for.

Not spending it on services that don't generate economic activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

This is the way they tackle Motorway signs in Wales . . .

http://origin-ars.els-cdn.com/content/image/1-s2.0-S0962629809000420-gr2.jpg

Pointless investments don't create good sustainable growth/jobs. We could have built a giant pyramid outside Athlone and ended the recession...

Imagine the amount of money wasted on translating every government document and statute into Irish only for it to sit in a dusty warehouse.

LordSutch wrote: »

Jesus what a mess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

thebaz wrote: »

€65m over a few years is not going to make much difference to a minister of health who is over running the health budget by over €0.6bn annually.

This money creates jobs, that's important too.

• Advertisement

It's like a word search! That's not helpful if your approaching it at 70mph in with some traffic if it's lashing rain. You'd nearly want to pullover to read it.

€65m over a few years is not going to make much difference to a minister of health who is over running the health budget by over €0.6bn annually.

This money creates jobs, that's important too.

The signs will be replaced when the old ones need to be changed. No new jobs, no extra investment. Just some government committees doing sfa for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

:confused:

Cad atá cearr leis? What's wrong with it?

:pac:

Van Ön súlyos

a
    r
    e

y
    o
    u

s
    e
    r
    i
    o
    u
    s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭mackerski

That's not a motorway sign. What it is, though, is a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

rawn wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/green-light-for-plan-to-make-road-signs-more-irish-29736922.html

Does anyone else see this as a massive waste of time and money? I still cannot understand why we cling to this dead language so fiercely. We live in a country where people either speak both Irish and English, or just English. We don't need Irish translations everywhere. Don't get me started on the pointlessness of mandatorily teaching it in schools :rolleyes: Surely it's time we stopped fighting to keep the Irish language relevant?
    Pity they don't wash the ones they already have. I cant see some of my local road signs with the filth on them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yeah I get the whole no extra cost thing.

BUT using the same font/case for both means it going to be worse than present under bad lighting conditions. Think reflection , rain , sodium lights , low angle sunlight.

Yeah I get the whole no extra cost thing.

BUT using the same font/case for both means it going to be worse than present under bad lighting conditions. Think reflection , rain , sodium lights , low angle sunlight.

And we will have two different standard types of sign for years to come. The Irish motorist needs as much help as he can get. Maybe put the Irish on the reverse :pac:

Maybe have the Irish in a smaller font. But if they are changed they should be changed all at the same time. Not the odd one up and down the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

do they give a number of signs this 65 million will provide?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

So they are replacing bilingual signs with newer bilingual signs.

What are people getting annoyed about, they want them replaced with English or Irish only signs? I think bilingual is a good compromise, and they do this in many countries where there are two languages.

For the people who are annoyed that we are replacing the signs, what life span do you think is reasonable for a sign?

For those who think 65million is a lot to replace every sign in the country, what figure do they think is reasonable, and how did they arrive at this?

Seems like some people are just complaining for complaining sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I genuinely don't know how this got into a debate about Irish language, some people at even the mention of it fly off the handle.

To expect anything other than bilingual signs, as we have always had, is a bit naive?

Advertisement