Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€65m on Irish road signs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

As someone said on facebook

"The new signage would be brought in on a replacement basis- the average roadsign lasts 15 years. Therefore no extra cost to the taxpayer"

I don't see the problem with it.
    keith16 wrote: »
    We're putting them up on a trial basis but we have to put them up anyway....WTF?

They mean that new signage has to go up regardless, whether it's this new format or not is yet to be decided.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

keith16 wrote: »
    We're putting them up on a trial basis but we have to put them up anyway....WTF?

Surely making 10 signs and putting them up would be a trial basis, rather than €65m worth?! What if they don't work? It's like the e-Voting system all over again, not enough forethought on their part costing the taxpayer millions

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

SV wrote: »

"The new signage would be brought in on a replacement basis- the average roadsign lasts 15 years. Therefore no extra cost to the taxpayer"

As has been said they're ugly, cluttered, garish and it's harder to see the English name.

They mean that new signage has to go up regardless, whether it's this new format or not is yet to be decided.

They're making new road signs en masse 15 years in advance then? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Typical
    Troika only out the door and here we go again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

rawn wrote: »
    Surely making 10 signs and putting them up would be a trial basis, rather than €65m worth?! What if they don't work? It's like the e-Voting system all over again, not enough forethought on their part costing the taxpayer millions

They haven't spent 65million of these new signs that have equal irish/english. They spent 65 million previously on signage.

While no signs will be replaced in the short-term – the National Roads Authority (NRA) has just spent €65m re-signing the road network – the new ones may be used when needed.

These signs wont cost us anything extra as they will just be used to replace signs as they require replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

If the money had to be spent to replace damaged or confusing signs, fair enough, but simply just to put Gaeilge on them? What's Irish for priorities? :p

Príomháideacha?

I may have totally made that up.

Is fearr Gaeilge briste ná Béarla cliste. I may also have made that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

It's all about the language

That sums up their blindness

No interest in how these new signs might impact on Road Safety, or confuse drivers, or are a waste of money.

Someone in the NRA should stop and consider that there are more important issues than paying lip service to a single issue lobby group.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bkelly86

From reading the op, my understanding is that €65 million was spent on the signs currently in use.

They haven't spent 65million of these new signs that have equal irish/english. They spent 65 million previously on signage.

While no signs will be replaced in the short-term – the National Roads Authority (NRA) has just spent €65m re-signing the road network – the new ones may be used when needed.

These signs wont cost us anything extra as they will just be used to replace signs as they require replacing.

My understanding of that is... they just spent €65m on new signs? And they confused drivers even more by cramming Irish all over them, without testing out a few signs first.

• Advertisement

My understanding of that is... they just spent €65m on new signs? And they confused drivers even more by cramming Irish all over them, without testing out a few signs first.

"just" means over the last few years and the current signs are what is legally required. The proposed signs will require no extra expenditure and will require a change in the law to become legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

It's for future signs, not for replacing the existing ones.

There is editing worthy of the Independent in the OP.

So this money is basically being ring fenced. If it must go towards NRA projects, what not on the N4 between Colloney and Carrick on Shannon, one of the most dangerous stretches of road in the West/North West of Ireland, if not the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    So this money is basically being ring fenced. If it must go towards NRA projects, what not on the N4 between Colloney and Carrick on Shannon, one of the most dangerous stretches of road in the West/North West of Ireland, if not the country.

No. The €65 million has already been spent, over the last few years, in putting up new signs.

There is no new money being spent on Irish language signs.

The proposal in the article is for a new design of sign that will make the Irish names more prominent BUT they will not be going up all over the country any time soon BECAUSE there has been €65 million spent on signs recently.

When these signs do go up, it will be when the current signs need replacement sometime in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

seanin4711 wrote: »
    Typical
    Troika only out the door and here we go again!

What has the troika got to do with it? You'd swear they were some type of horsemen of the apocalypse for government spending.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    As has been said they're ugly, cluttered, garish and it's harder to see the English name.

I find it being in a different colour makes it easier to see the English name, rather than it just being in ALL CAPS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Good lord, the roadsign in the article is horrible, gives me a headache looking at it. I'm in favour of retaining the Irish placenames on the sign but there's absolutely no need to make them more 'prominent', smacks of Gaelige-fascism that does absolutely nothing to promote the language, hopefully someone in the department will see sense and abandon this!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

I find it being in a different colour makes it easier to see the English name, rather than it just being in ALL CAPS.
    Wait til you're driving past at night with your yellow head lights reflecting off the yellow letters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'd rather see €65m spent replacing the NRA with something that has more braincells to utilise. Like a brick.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Wait til you're driving past at night with your yellow head lights reflecting off the yellow letters.

We don't know what that will look like yet, so it seems a bit silly to state that's why it's harder to read, no?
    Also, my headlights aren't yellow, not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Heard an interview with someone from the NRA on the radio about what roadsigns cost about the years ago. Couldn't believe the numbers he was claiming.Those big roundabout signs with the twin support posts cost 40,000 apparently...Mindblowing.

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    Heard an interview with someone from the NRA on the radio about what roadsigns cost about the years ago. Couldn't believe the numbers he was claiming.Those big roundabout signs with the twin support posts cost 40,000 apparently...Mindblowing.

Jaysus for 40k I'd stand there directing people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭paulbok

A fair chunck of that €65m must have gone on the new(?) signs on the motorways, a distance marker every half kilometer. Surely a signage overkill if ever there was one.

• Administrators Posts: 53,393 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Apparently Irish on road signs is good for tourism.

Scraping the barrel or what. How many tourists flock to Ireland to see our road signs?

Load of bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Ah sure never mind - the tourists so love them:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

awec wrote: »

Scraping the barrel or what. How many tourists flock to Ireland to see our road signs?

Load of bollocks.
    possibly, but british tourists are supposedly shunning Ireland more and more as they no longer see it as being different enough to warrant a visit.

So "being different" can make a difference, even if on the face of it having multi lingual signs isnt a selling point in itsself.

awec wrote: »

Load of bollocks.

It's that genuine Irish feel, yknow, the way they flock to Temple Bar to pay €7 for a pint. Ahhh we're feckin loaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I have no problem with them spending €65 million on replacement signs, it's better to have them to hand should they be needed and €65M is probably about right, I'm sure the signs cost a good bit of money each.

But this stands out as utter stupidity.
    "I have been in touch with the NRA and they are considering putting up a few signs on a trial basis to see what people think.

It's a bit late asking what people think now that €65M has been spent, all your doing is giving people the opportunity to reject them meaning all that money would be a waste.

A trail means buying a few of them and trailing them before going on to purchase enough to cover the entire country.

Over all signage in Ireland is terrible, I've often drive down straight roads and seen big signs saying what towns are up ahead, then I get to a T-junction and there's no signs, or it's difficult to judge which way the sign is actually pointing. I pity any tourist that doesn't have a sat nav.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I have no problem with them spending €65 million on replacement signs, it's better to have them to hand should they be needed and €65M is probably about right, I'm sure the signs cost a good bit of money each.

But this stands out as utter stupidity.

It's a bit late asking what people think now that €65M has been spent, all your doing is giving people the opportunity to reject them meaning all that money would be a waste.

A trail means buying a few of them and trailing them before going on to purchase enough to cover the entire country.

Over all signage in Ireland is terrible, I've often drive down straight roads and seen big signs saying what towns are up ahead, then I get to a T-junction and there's no signs, or it's difficult to judge which way the sign is actually pointing. I pity any tourist that doesn't have a sat nav.

No money is to be spent on these new signs. The OP is just really confusingly edited.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Marvellous how people who wish to exterminate Ireland as anything other than an appendage of England find something to post about. Cromwell would be proud.
    Not this shíte again. It was 350 years ago. Build a bloody bridge for god's sake. Cromwell, our own Godwin.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

paulbok wrote: »
    A fair chunck of that €65m must have gone on the new(?) signs on the motorways, a distance marker every half kilometer. Surely a signage overkill if ever there was one.

It's a sign of things to come I'm afraid.

Advertisement