Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

RopeDrink wrote: »
    I haven't played it since, but I don't regret having purchased it. Overall I think the 5/10 rating people have given is fair. It's not a great game. It's not a terrible game. If you're already an ME fan, you'll sway depending on what you expected from it. For me, given there's no major links to the past games, it was a fresh start so I treated it as such - helps you avoid running too many comparisons. I don't think any potential future ME will top what they achieved with the original three, so I don't look for them to do so - but I would like the series to continue.

It's a greater crime to go from great to mediocre than to start off at mediocre.
    There are games that are surely less well designed than ME:A that I enjoy more.

They've seen what works and then they did something else. They didn't really go in a drastically new direction or anything, and I would've respected the ambition if they had. They just executed it poorly.

There's a big single player RPG sci-fi franchise hole in the market at the moment. It might well be Cyberpunk 2077 before we have something concrete to look forward to, seeing as how Star Wars is still stuck in limbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I think what grated me most about Andromeda is that it came out a 2 weeks after NieR:Automata, which is a VASTLY more beautiful, well-written & enjoyable "open-world" game - and ME:A turned into such an enormous time-sink (and left me so empty) that I put off finishing NieR until November/December.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Glebee

In between games at the moment and this is in the Origin library so I guess ill take it out for a spin. Finished the first three games ages ago and dont know what to expect from this with all the mixed reviews..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,847 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I think what grated me most about Andromeda is that it came out a 2 weeks after NieR:Automata, which is a VASTLY more beautiful, well-written & enjoyable "open-world" game - and ME:A turned into such an enormous time-sink (and left me so empty) that I put off finishing NieR until November/December.

Strange, as like ME:A, I grew bored of NieR also. On the second playthrough as the dude, just felt like I was doing everything again. I believe it gets better once you get to the third one, but I couldn't make it past the fairground section on the second playthrough due to it being more of the same with less fun weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Great thread. I have ME2 bought now, great to get so much game for $5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Smiles35 wrote: »
    Great thread. I have ME2 bought now, great to get so much game for $5

it really is a fantastic game with great replayability for the different classes.
    Right upto that ending for ME3 I rate the trilogy as one of the best set of games with fantastic and involved storytelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Strange, as like ME:A, I grew bored of NieR also. On the second playthrough as the dude, just felt like I was doing everything again. I believe it gets better once you get to the third one, but I couldn't make it past the fairground section on the second playthrough due to it being more of the same with less fun weapons.

Stick with it, Route 2 is much shorter than Route 1 (think I clocked it in under 8hrs compared to 25).
    And that's when the story really opens up.

Playing through Andromeda at the moment. Im quite enjoying it to be honest. Its defo not a poor as I expected it to be...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Glebee wrote: »
    Playing through Andromeda at the moment. Im quite enjoying it to be honest. Its defo not a poor as I expected it to be...

It's grand....

After a while though, it does get very samey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

The planets are such a chore to get around. The sudoku is ridiculous. The writing is bad the missions bland and uninteresting. The only break i'll give this game is its competent gun play.

• Advertisement

Just finished up on the main story mission. It was a chore to complete in the end. No interest in completing the side missions.

Just finished up on the main story mission. It was a chore to complete in the end. No interest in completing the side missions.

It's funny seeing your previous posts and the way you felt by the end. I think it mirrors a lot of others' experiences.

Andromeda doesn't have the writing, characters or drama to keep you invested once the charm of the mechanics start to wear thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,545 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I was only thinking of this game yesterday, bought it digitally but uninstalled it ages back after I got to the 4th/5th planet, bored the hole off me. I was thinking of giving it another go but think i'll just let it fade away. The ONLY character I found interesting was Suvi and I couldn't progress her character cuz I wasn't a woman :rolleyes: Actually thought about starting as FemShep or what ever they are called in this but I just don't think it will be worth it. Bioware/EA made an absolute balls of this game. Everyone complaining about glitches and animations but the real culprit was that it was just a boring boring game.

Also ****ing lol at their "We are going to have Witcher 3 style quests in this"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Its a tenner on the psn store atm.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

RopeDrink wrote: »
    If anyone is still considering trying it, MP is still highly active and SP is playable -- just don't expect characters to look great while they're conveying the somewhat forgettable story. It has its moments and I do like some of the cast, but it's not a patch on the trilogy and they clearly aren't considering changing how it is right now from a patch PoV.

Having played through it not too long ago myself, it's grand. Nothing overly wrong with it, but nothing to make it stand out either.

They dropped all development on this after the poisonous reaction to it, obviously thought that it would require too much effort to repair the PR damage. It's one of the reasons I admire Ubisoft way more than EA, Ubi at least make an effort to save their games, The Division was released in a bad state and they're still making changes and improvements to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Bracken3000

Picked up ME Andromeda for €10 and know very little about it except that it wasn't well received. I enjoyed the first 3 so just asking what to expect, should I bother playing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Picked up ME Andromeda for €10 and know very little about it except that it wasn't well received. I enjoyed the first 3 so just asking what to expect, should I bother playing it!

Its not great and not terrible. I was a fan of the original trilogy and this aint that. If you have nothing else go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Kind've a late comer to this thread, but I love the original Mass Effect trilogy so much. I got Mass Effect: Andromeda when it first came out and have played two playthroughs of it. The game is ok but it could be better I think. I'm hoping that if they bring out a sequel they'll be able to redeem the franchise a little because now that i've played ME:A I want to see where the story goes.

The mini story in the game regarding memory triggers and the mysterious Benefactor is probably the best part of the game for me. Who is the benefactor? Is it Cerberus? Is it the Illusive Man? Or could it be someone else? The possibilities are really intriguing. Also listening to recordings about how Alec Ryder knew about the Reaper invasion was pretty cool two. That's another thing they need to follow up on if they bring out a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Kind've a late comer to this thread, but I love the original Mass Effect trilogy so much. I got Mass Effect: Andromeda when it first came out and have played two playthroughs of it. The game is ok but it could be better I think. I'm hoping that if they bring out a sequel they'll be able to redeem the franchise a little because now that i've played ME:A I want to see where the story goes.

The mini story in the game regarding memory triggers and the mysterious Benefactor is probably the best part of the game for me. Who is the benefactor? Is it Cerberus? Is it the Illusive Man? Or could it be someone else? The possibilities are really intriguing. Also listening to recordings about how Alec Ryder knew about the Reaper invasion was pretty cool two. That's another thing they need to follow up on if they bring out a sequel.

EA shelved the series so no sequels coming in the near future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Venom wrote: »
    Actually Bioware has hinted recently that it's being worked on.

• Advertisement

Nody wrote: »
    Actually Bioware has hinted recently that it's being worked on.

They sure kept that under the radar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

They sure kept that under the radar.
    Well knowing EA I'd not be surprised if it turns out to be a mobile game like the bastard baby they did of C&C for example...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,117 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Some things should just be left alone. Don't think they can recapture the magic of the original trilogy. Too many great characters like Shep, Liara, Garrus, Tali, Mordin and Jacob.

Okay, maybe not Jacob.

Nody wrote: »
    Well knowing EA I'd not be surprised if it turns out to be a mobile game like the bastard baby they did of C&C for example...

There's probably nobody at EA who actually gives a **** about C&C though. Is there anyone left from Westwood?

Other than Hudson, I'm sure there's plenty of developers there who worked on previous ME games. It still wouldn't be beyond EA to kill the franchise off with such a final insult, but it'd be a lot more hassle than a doing it to a game from a franchise that's 10 years dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Might as well remake the trilogy as I wouldn't trust EA or even Bioware now with anything new. They're well on the path of no return tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Knowing EA, they'll probably release a squad combat game, drop all the story and character stuff, then shelve the IP when shock, people don't want to play a watered down focusgroup tested product.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Knowing EA, they'll probably release a squad combat game, drop all the story and character stuff, then shelve the IP when shock, people don't want to play a watered down focusgroup tested product.

Mass Effect : Galactic Battle Royal - Krogan Special Edition

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Yeah I heard about that and was disappointed. However i've also heard that there is talk about a new game as well so I don't know what to believe now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's worth too much money for them to shelve it. They won't wait long to release another, though i'd expect a remaster/re-release of the original trilogy before that happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I've played the original Mass Effect trilogy and the first game was absolute cock. It nearly put me off the rest of the trilogy. Being an optimist, we could see the kind of refinement of gameplay that we saw from ME1 to ME2.

Advertisement