Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Slam of Darts 2013

Options
  • 07-11-2013 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39,537 ✭✭✭✭

This event starts on Saturday and its one of the top 3 of the year for me. Enjoyable format and good to see the PDC and BDO guys together. Groups as well and leg difference can often be vital

GROUP A
    Phil Taylor (1)
    Kevin Painter
    Paul Nicholson
    Stuart Kellett

GROUP B
    James Wade (8)
    Gary Anderson
    Wesley Harms
    Peter Wright

GROUP C
    Adrian Lewis (5)
    Christian Kist
    Ronny Huybrechts
    Richie George

GROUP D
    Michael van Gerwen (4)
    Kim Huybrechts
    Dean Winstanley
    Vincent van der Voort

GROUP E
    Raymond van Barneveld (2)
    Mervyn King
    Tony O'Shea
    Ricky Evans

GROUP F
    Andy Hamilton (7)
    Robert Thornton
    Mark Walsh
    Justin Pipe

GROUP G
    Simon Whitlock (6)
    Wes Newton
    Mark Webster
    Ross Smith

GROUP H
    Scott Waites (3)
    Dave Chisnall
    Michael Smith
    Ted Hankey

Saturday is the first group games

Saturday November 9
    Afternoon Session (1pm-5pm)
    Groups E-H First Games
    Robert Thornton v Mark Walsh (F)
    Andy Hamilton v Justin Pipe (F)
    Scott Waites v Ted Hankey (H)
    Dave Chisnall v Michael Smith (H)
    Wes Newton v Mark Webster (G)
    Simon Whitlock v Ross Smith (G)
    Mervyn King v Tony O'Shea (E)
    Raymond van Barneveld v Ricky Evans (E)

Evening Session (7pm-11pm)
    Groups A-D First Games
    Gary Anderson v Wesley Harms (B)
    James Wade v Peter Wright (B)
    Christian Kist v Ronny Huybrechts (C)
    Adrian Lewis v Richie George (C)
    Kevin Painter v Paul Nicholson (A)
    Phil Taylor v Stuart Kellett (A)
    Michael van Gerwen v Vincent van der Voort (D)
    Kim Huybrechts v Dean Winstanley (D)

Sunday will see the 2 winning players from each group on Saturday face off and the 2 losing players also then the final group games will be on Sunday

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Yeah looking forward to this alright.

Need Taylor to get beaten here to give his confidence a bit of a knock before the Worlds (if its even possible to knock his confidence)

Madness how Bunting isnt in this though, BDO number 1 and just won the Winmau Masters again without even dropping a set.
    They really need to look at the way entries are done when Richie George and Ricky Evans are in there ahead of Bunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭jonnygiles

mdwexford wrote: »
    Yeah looking forward to this alright.

Need Taylor to get beaten here to give his confidence a bit of a knock before the Worlds (if its even possible to knock his confidence)

Madness how Bunting isnt in this though, BDO number 1 and just won the Winmau Masters again without even dropping a set.
    They really need to look at the way entries are done when Richie George and Ricky Evans are in there ahead of Bunting.

Agreed absolute madness that Kist is there ahead of him imo, he has not had a good year on the BDO circuit.

Also some strange choices on the PDC side, Dolan and Caven not getting chosen despite both being in the top 10 order of merit this year whereas Mark Webster and Ted Hankey are playing

Heres the link to how they work it out http://www.unicorn-darts.com/news/detail.aspx?bpid=3000

Semi finalists from two years ago and rubbish like that instead of the BDO number 1 is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,537 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Feck off golf

Thornton beat Walsh 5-0 in the first game anyways

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Presume it will on TV at some stage? Normally on utv?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭The Showstopper

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Presume it will on TV at some stage? Normally on utv?

It's on sky sports 4 on the red button until the golf is over.

Coverage now on SS4

No loss missing games from the group of bore anyway

Really good game this between Chizzy and Smith

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I forgot this started today, I do enjoy this tournament.

BDO lads struggling tonight so far. Richie George did ok though against a struggling Lewis. George missed 3 clear darts to go 3-1 which cost him the match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

Good win by Dean Winstanley against Kim Huybrechts in the final game of the night. Taylor starts off with a 112 average in a 5-0 win against Stuart Kellett! Hard to see Taylor not winning this out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭shockframe

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I forgot this started today, I do enjoy this tournament.

BDO lads struggling tonight so far. Richie George did ok though against a struggling Lewis. George missed 3 clear darts to go 3-1 which cost him the match

The best tournament of the PDC year IMHO.A sign that darts season is in full swing.

Good days darts.Mark Webster got a much needed win.Thorntons match winning 140 check out was beautiful and a good game between Michael Smith and Chisnall.

As regards PDC V BDO well Waites was likely to beat Ted, King and O'shea was 50:50, Harms wasnt all that bad just met a very good anderson and Lewis is a fair bit ahead of george so no real surprises.

Kist was terrible though..Ronny Huybrechts is no world beater so to lose to him is poor.Long term doesnt look good at all for him.Theres a fair chance that the 2014 lakeside could be his last TV tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,975 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Kellett beating Painter 5-4 in the match of the evening so far,

Painter had the darts in the final leg, started it with a 140 and all, previous to that he had missed two darts at double 16 for the match at 4-2.

Standard has been high so far and its shaping up to be a good tournament.

Chizzy can count himself a bit unlucky to be going home after two games when he averaged 99 in both.

Is there an afternoon session today?

Nope.

Group games on next two days at 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,341 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

KevIRL wrote: »
    Is there an afternoon session today?

Nope, the final set of games in groups efgh are tonight, and groups abcd finish tomorrow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Grand_Slam_of_Darts#Group_stage

Standard has been high so far and its shaping up to be a good tournament.

Chizzy can count himself a bit unlucky to be going home after two games when he averaged 99 in both.

No good having the high average without the doubles,

Same story against Waites tonight who beat him 5-1, he looks in fine form, 3 from 3.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Waites cruised through that one really. Chizzys confidence seems very low.

Hopefully Tony O'Shea can win the next game and get through the groups.

No good having the high average without the doubles,

Same story against Waites tonight who beat him 5-1, he looks in fine form, 3 from 3.

Eh he had 3 from 4, 75% in his first game and 3 from 7, 42% in his second both of which are excellent.

Hankey was awful and Smith didnt play his best either.
    Waites wasnt exceptional in either of those games, and his doubles were 33% and 38%, lower than Chizzy.

• Advertisement

Eh he had 3 from 4, 75% in his first game and 3 from 7, 42% in his second both of which are excellent.

Hankey was awful and Smith didnt play his best either.
    Waites wasnt exceptional in either of those games, and his doubles were 33% and 38%, lower than Chizzy.

Sorry i didn't mean Chisnall on his own in that statement, although i didn't word it right to stop it coming across like that.

I just mean in a good few of the matches there have been lads on higher averages struggling with the doubles.

RVB was unlucky to go home with 2 wins, just the way things go but he was nowhere near his best in tonights match.

Does King always wear earplugs?

And a nine dart shootout for the crowd to look forward to at the end of this Hankey v Smith match.

A 'dramatic' shootout victory for Webster according to the commentators.

It was genuinely close to impossible for it to be any less dramatic in truth.

Sorry i didn't mean Chisnall on his own in that statement, although i didn't word it right to stop it coming across like that.

I just mean in a good few of the matches there have been lads on higher averages struggling with the doubles.

RVB was unlucky to go home with 2 wins, just the way things go but he was nowhere near his best in tonights match.

Does King always wear earplugs?

And a nine dart shootout for the crowd to look forward to at the end of this Hankey v Smith match.

Ahhhh I see.

Yeah very harsh on Barney to win two and go out, especially as the defending champ, now hes going to lose a ton of prize money in the order of merit and plummet down the rankings.

Yep King and Pipe always wear earplugs.

Yeah very harsh on Barney to win two and go out, especially as the defending champ, now hes going to lose a ton of prize money in the order of merit and plummet down the rankings.

I don't think the GSOD counts for the Order of Merit because its a restricted invite event.

I don't think the GSOD counts for the Order of Merit because its a restricted invite event.

Yeah you're spot on, didnt think of that.

There are qualifiers though so I think anyone can enter those but it doesnt count either way.

Correct, it's an unranked event at the moment but that will change from 2015 when it will become a ranked event. They still have to work out exactly how that will work though considering it will contain both PDC and BDO players.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,607 ✭✭✭✭briany

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Correct, it's an unranked event at the moment but that will change from 2015 when it will become a ranked event. They still have to work out exactly how that will work though considering it will contain both PDC and BDO players.

Whatever money a PDC player wins gets added to his OoM tally like normal and if a BDO makes the switch within 2 years of the competition date, that gets added to his OoM at that point, giving him a nice little boost upon joining the Pro Tour. I think it would make for a decent additional incentive to jump ship.

briany wrote: »
    Whatever money a PDC player wins gets added to his OoM tally like normal and if a BDO makes the switch within 2 years of the competition date, that gets added to his OoM at that point, giving him a nice little boost upon joining the Pro Tour. I think it would make for a decent additional incentive to jump ship.

Very good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭leoch

Just watched the Taylor game and fair play to him brilliant as usual but the interview on stage afterwards is the same sickening sh1te as usual has to bum up the player he just walked over and of course mention he is loaded and then mardle has to lick his hole for a while and the add breaks have sketches of course about Taylor again the whole thing is getting abit repetitive he must love watching himself on tv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭DuckHook

MVG is stocious...lol pissed as a fart.

Advertisement