Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My sister discovered Netflix.........

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Find the hosts file and block the ip address. I used to do it all the time to piss off my brothers.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/27350/

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Talk to your sister and come to an arrangement which suits you both. Crazy, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I appreciate all these crazy replies, I didn't expect this much. But I managed to sort it, I did that thing where I can tone down the video quality. I turned off the HD. I had a good few games of Black Ops with the gf last night without an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

gamercfc wrote: »
    I appreciate all these crazy replies, I didn't expect this much. But I managed to sort it, I did that thing where I can tone down the video quality. I turned off the HD. I had a good few games of Black Ops with the gf last night without an issue.

QoS is a better solution, it'll mean gaming traffic gets priority so when you're gaming Netflix will be throttled a bit to make sure your ping is ok but Netflix won't be throttled when you're not playing online games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Yeah get a router that does some QoS. Gaming requires only a tiny amount of bandwidth but without QoS, other users will choke what little amount you are using. It doesnt matter if you are on wired or not. I have 120Mbps broadband but becasue I share the connection I have QoS enabled on my router for those times where a housemate is torrenting so that my little bit of gaming data can get through. Netflix or youtube don't use a set amount of bandwidth either as they can often spike briefly which is enough to get you kicked out of a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

QoS is a better solution,

Cool.....but how do you do that???

Also - re OP concerns....Netflix wont hold her attention for long especially of Irish version! So...hang on in there

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Masala wrote: »
    Cool.....but how do you do that???

Also - re OP concerns....Netflix wont hold her attention for long especially of Irish version! So...hang on in there

Really, Google: https://www.google.ie/search?q=setting+up+qos&oq=setting+up+qos&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.3734j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

It's not hard to set up, you just need to know which ports your games need. Which again you can find out with google quite easily. This is very, very useful for dealing with the flatmate who hits the download cap within a fortnight every month with torrenting.

Advertisement