Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My sister discovered Netflix.........

Options
  • 06-11-2013 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭

..... and now she can't stop using it. What is bad for me is it completely clashes with my online sessions. Everytime she uses Netflix, it lags my game tremendously. I haven't been able to play any online game after 7pm for days now.

I can't tell her "no" because it isn't just my internet.

Is there anything I can do to at least reduce the clash in connections when I'm trying to play my Xbox?

I was going to get either Battlefield 4 or Call of Duty Ghosts this weekend but now I feel rather discouraged to get either of those games because I know I'm just not going to get a decent bit of fun out of them. There has to be a way to stop them interfering.... Static IP addresses?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Go into the preferences on the website and change the streaming quality to the lowest possible value. Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

When she is watching something open micro Torrent and download a few Linux IOSs or something, make sure you max out your bandwidth she will soon stop when it's jumping all the time. Or you could find which ports Netflix uses and block them.

GarIT wrote: »
    When she is watching something open micro Torrent and download a few Linux IOSs or something, make sure you max out your bandwidth she will soon stop when it's jumping all the time. Or you could find which ports Netflix uses and block them.

Port 80 you can't block. Software that implements qos is prob the best route.

• Advertisement

stevek93 wrote: »
    Port 80 you can't block. Software that implements qos is prob the best route.

Awh :( They need to make it easier to be mean to sisters :P

You would think that but the QOS in my router would always give priority to video streaming over gaming, unless you could get a customizable one?

Awh :( They need to make it easier to be mean to sisters :P

You would think that but the QOS in my router would always give priority to video streaming over gaming, unless you could get a customizable one?

Maybe block the IP/domain 69.53.236.17? :D I suspect it is static so no need to keep changing it. Open DNS will allow you to block as far as I know. Was using a program not to long ago can't for the life of me remember the name that restricted bandwidth on a particular PC.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,145 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Each and every one of you is going to hell you know :pac:

Mickeroo wrote: »

Muhahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

can you not allocate bandwidth in your router ?

• Advertisement

I would disagree, I believe that there is a mutual understanding among posters here that the OPs gaming needs are much more significant than the sisters Netflix needs. Morally what we are suggesting is for the greater good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Upgrade your broadband or get a second ADSL line :)

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Ahhh the joy of my 100meg broadband... I didn't like the fact that it gets shared 'evenly' between connections (Two people in the house also use my broadband, meaning they get 30megs each) but they pay for it and there's enough to ensure I'm not impacted in anyway despite the person downstairs lately getting the same like for Netflix and watching movies each night in their spare time while the other is downloading in the next room.

Naturally it doesn't apply to the console dilemma to which I have no experience with but assuming you're both sharing the internet willingly, there's various steps you could take to try and plan ways so that each of you get a decent experience with it at non-conflicting times with a bit of planning - It'd be your best bet, outside of being sneaky and just outright banning the IP when you need the net the most.

In terms of leeching (Completely different) you can cut certain computer-ID's from using your router or simply ban undesired websites on demand from the router settings but again, how this translates (or doesn't translate) to consoles, I've no idea.

Would simply start by talking with your sister and trying to come to decent usage terms - And elevating from there if required :P

If you check the OPs sig I think you will find that the sister may have trouble finding a time when he is not gaming due to the OP using 24 hours in each day for gaming.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,145 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I would disagree, I believe that there is a mutual understanding among posters here that the OPs gaming needs are much more significant than the sisters Netflix needs. Morally what we are suggesting is for the greater good.

I think that is the most accurate description of boards ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

I did even better

I enabled the US Netflix for the missus 2 days for the BF4 launch

And we thought when netflix's arrived it was the next best thing to sliced bread. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Get a set of tp link plugs from Amazon!

Get a set of tp link plugs from Amazon!

What is that going to achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

stevek93 wrote: »
    What is that going to achieve?

Wired connection always wins :)

• Advertisement

Wired connection always wins :)

Not if bandwidth is being shared, both will still get an equal share, all it will achieve would be to improve the connection between the gaming device and the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

If you check the OPs sig I think you will find that the sister may have trouble finding a time when he is not gaming due to the OP using 24 hours in each day for gaming.
    I assure you I'm not using 24hrs a day to game. I normally come on at about 7-ish... And even if it was the case... Most of my gaming-time has been spent playing offline games in recent months. This is online gaming I am referring to, albeit a rare enough occasion until recently, is not very playable whenever I do go online.

gamercfc wrote: »
    I assure you I'm not using 24hrs a day to game. I normally come on at about 7-ish... And even if it was the case... Most of my gaming-time has been spent playing offline games in recent months. This is online gaming I am referring to, albeit a rare enough occasion until recently, is not very playable whenever I do go online.

I'm not actually serious, I just had noticed the 25.5 days of FIFA, I'm an addict but even I think that's impressive. :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

QoS on router will sort it. I had 1mb net in Longford and it worked wonders, 50% to port 80, 50% to all game ports. Worked wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Assuming she's old enough, set her up with a guy to get her out of the house.

Though it may backfire and he comes around to watch as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Assuming she's old enough, set her up with a guy to get her out of the house.

Though it may backfire and he comes around to watch as well.

That sounds so wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Don't worry if it's Irish Netflix she'll get bored very soon

Like everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I'm not actually serious, I just had noticed the 25.5 days of FIFA, I'm an addict but even I think that's impressive. :p

Fair enough, can't blame me considering the type of people ya could run into in various forums. Most of them very sarcastic....:P And yeah, FIFA 10 was probably my favorite of the series. :) Thanks, I was stunned myself when I saw the time I spent on it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Update the windows hosts file to overide dns and redirect all requests for connection to Netflix to something else...say a Justin Bieber fansite or something.

http://www.rackspace.com/knowledge_center/article/how-do-i-modify-my-hosts-file

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Why don't ye plan ahead and download what she wants to watch via torrent during the day, or whenever you're not gaming online?

Advertisement