Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike. steel,alu or carbon frame?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I just find it's more convenient than having a laptop by the bike in the garage or whatever, and no need to rewind or whatever. Also I can touch it with grubby hands with a bit less worry.

Horses for courses I suppose. All my bike maintenance is done in my dining room in front of my PC when the kids go to bed.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭Invincible

Well there is the carbon fork, and it's just generally a nice tool to have!

My Defy 1 has a carbon fork but it came without a torque wrench :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Invincible wrote: »
    My Defy 1 has a carbon fork but it came without a torque wrench :)

Yeah my full carbon bike didn't come with one either, I think it's a really nice touch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭Invincible

Yeah my full carbon bike didn't come with one either, I think it's a really nice touch though.

It's a nice bonus to get for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Thanks for the input. Savage value on those links.
    If I had the space (and understanding wife) I would keep the current bike so this has to replace it.
    Its a lot of money to spend but I am looking at it over the long term and I might as well use the max on btw. In my eyes if I use the bike for everything I will get the maximum value out of the purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

FWIW I've been commuting (30km round trip) on expensive bikes for years.

It's nice to own nice things and use them every day.

The only real downside is that you have to clean and maintain them more carefully than you would a total beater. Listening to the sound of gritty brake pads eating into expensive rims takes the edge off the pleasure, and a bike that's going to be raced really needs to be kept in good condition.

Advertisement