Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike. steel,alu or carbon frame?

Options
  • 04-11-2013 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

Hi. I would appreciate opinions on this one. Looking to get my first road bike through the bike to work scheme. I will be adding a bit on so total bike budget would be about e1500.
    I'm weighing in at 110kgs at the moment and I'm wondering if steel would bring a smoother ride over the other marerials and would it stand up to a daily slog better too?
    Or is all about the the bike being the lighter the better so ignore steel and look at Aluminium or carbon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

There will be more choice with Alu or carbon fibre. I would probably aim for CF at your budget.

Either way, doesn't matter. Put on 25mm tyres if you want a plusher ride.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Buy this :

http://planetxireland.com/products-page/road/pro-carbon-ultegra-pre-order/

Spend €200 left over on some warm winter gear.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

If I'd you budgets and was buying right now and wanted something comfortable, I'd go steel.

Something like this, steel frame and fork, 105 groupset, even comes with mudguards. €1121

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/charge/juicer-hi-2013-road-bike-ec042794#select

Or this, steel frame and fork, 105 groupset, DT Swiss rims, 105 hubs.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/genesis/equilibrium-20-2013-road-bike-ec043734#features

That said, at 110kg you'll be grand on alu or carbon, the ride won't be as nice as steel but if you can get 25mm tyres on it and run them at a lower psi that will do a lot to help, maybe a carbon seat post and some good geltape too.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Forget about frame material, think about what you want from the bike and see what matches your requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Lumen wrote: »
    Forget about frame material, think about what you want from the bike and see what matches your requirements.
    Well as for that it will be for an average 30k commute (in total) with longer weekend spins with the desire to join a club once Im happy with my speed / ability to maintain pace over distance. I'm planning on doing the Ring of Kerry and such like in order to have a training target but can't see me going down the more competitive side of things ( famous last words...)

Thanks for the replies. I had stumbled across charge bikes and my current bike is a genesis so will have to have a closer look at them.

• Advertisement

Well as for that it will be for an average 30k commute (in total) with longer weekend spins with the desire to join a club once Im happy with my speed / ability to maintain pace over distance. I'm planning on doing the Ring of Kerry and such like in order to have a training target but can't see me going down the more competitive side of things ( famous last words...)

Thanks for the replies. I had stumbled across charge bikes and my current bike is a genesis so will have to have a closer look at them.

If you're planning on joining a club and looking towards racing, go with the planet x ultegra. It's a race ready bike and the best value for money on the market in your budget. It's a no brainer.

Use your current bike for commuting and use the planet-x for the longer spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Good carbon frame for that money

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Normally I'd go for carbon at that price but since you're commuting on it I'd be inclined towards aluminium. Can't explain why but I'd feel wrong commuting on carbon.

I assume your place of work has somewhere very secure to leave your bike, so we can pick something a bit showy?

This high quality aluminium frame, full Ultegra groupset, Mavic Aksiums, and a few bob left over.

http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3193#tab-reiter2

Seaneh wrote: »
    If you're planning on joining a club and looking towards racing, go with the planet x ultegra. It's a race ready bike and the best value for money on the market in your budget. It's a no brainer.

Use your current bike for commuting and use the planet-x for the longer spins.

I concur. 15km each way won't make use of a decent bike. Use the old bike and buy the carbon Planet X for fun times.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I am a similar weight and wanted something similar and looked at a lot of bikes. Have a look at the specilized secteur elite, super comfy and if want carbon then the specilized roubauix is the same frame geometry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭Invincible

Normally I'd go for carbon at that price but since you're commuting on it I'd be inclined towards aluminium. Can't explain why but I'd feel wrong commuting on carbon.

I assume your place of work has somewhere very secure to leave your bike, so we can pick something a bit showy?

This high quality aluminium frame, full Ultegra groupset, Mavic Aksiums, and a few bob left over.

http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3193#tab-reiter2

That is one nice bike for the money :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Invincible wrote: »
    That is one nice bike for the money :)

Just noticed it includes a torque wrench too.

Jesus, I want one now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

If you don't go carbon now , you'll want to upgrade in no time.

My Planet X took 110 kg with no probs, but it only has to carry 100 now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

That Charge Juicer is one handsome looking bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Jesus, we have pretty secure bike parking at work (probably more secure than locking it in my house all day) but I still wouldn't decide to commute on a €1500 bike.

Use the B2W for a nice weekend bike, get some sort of beater for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I dunno about you guys, but if I had a good bike and a crappy bike, I'd be frustrated all the time on the crappy bike. Mine is only a 500 euro Giant Escape 2, granted, but I'd much rather risk losing it and be able to use it every day than have to leave it at home. I brought my fancy camera to South America for the same reason a couple of years back.

Zillah wrote: »
    I dunno about you guys, but if I had a good bike and a crappy bike, I'd be frustrated all the time on the crappy bike. Mine is only a 500 euro Giant Escape 2, granted, but I'd much rather risk losing it and be able to use it every day than have to leave it at home. I brought my fancy camera to South America for the same reason a couple of years back.

It is a bit different when it's a grand plus bike. Not least because the little things that make it better than say a 400-600 euro bike would mostly not be noticed on a 30km commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Out of curiosity, aside from the weight bonus, what kind of things are we talking here that you get for 1K+?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

I love my good bike(s) too much to countenance some scobe wandering off wit it, either because of relative value or sentimental reasons.

A well maintained, well set up beater (but not a BSO, you can go too far) can be as enjoyable to ride, if a little heavier than a good bike.

For commuting anyway...

Out of curiosity, aside from the weight bonus, what kind of things are we talking here that you get for 1K+?

Not much really, it's mainly weight and faster wheels really

Shifting would be faster, lighter, more precise and more reliable. Assuming it's kept reasonably well maintained of course, badly tuned Dura Ace won't shift as well as perfectly tuned Sora. Same with brakes.

Possibly a bit more comfort with higher quality frame, high end saddle, bars and such. But possibly not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭Invincible

Just noticed it includes a torque wrench too.

Jesus, I want one now :(

Thought you'd only get a torque wrench with a carbon frame!

Invincible wrote: »
    Thought you'd only get a torque wrench with a carbon frame!

Well there is the carbon fork, and it's just generally a nice tool to have!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭New2bike

I am in the same boat now myself new job and they do bike to work so looking at all the options I have already been on to the lads at Planet X and that bike seems like a great deal also the Canyon mentioned above looks great but One Big question with all these bikes is where in Gods name did ye guys learn to maintain them to such a good standard like Darkglasses was saying about poor tuning??
    Most posts you read on here the bikes are like going through a conveyor belt at a chop shop; nobody seems to have any original parts left where do you learn or is it a case of trial and error??

New2bike wrote: »
    I am in the same boat now myself new job and they do bike to work so looking at all the option have already been on to the lads at Planet X and that bike seems like a great deal also the Canyon mentioned above looks great but One Big question with all these bikes is where in Gods name did all ye guys learn to maintain them to such a good standard like Darkglasses was saying about poor tuning??
    M

Youtube, Sheldonbrown.com, Parktools website, this forum, and the occasional book!

Youtube, Sheldonbrown.com, Parktools website, this forum, and the occasional book!

What?? You read an occasional book!!
    Ah ha it must be this one!

I learned pretty nuch everything about maintenance I know from youtube.
    These lads show most of the stuff you need to know to keep your bike going.

https://www.youtube.com/user/globalcyclingnetwork?feature=watch

Yes I have watched a few of their vids very informative anybody know if any good book that I can give the wife the old nudge and wink for xmas

Yes I have watched a few of their vids very informative anybody know if any good book that I can give the wife the old nudge and wink for xmas

I wouldn't bother with a book. Actually watching someone doing it on a video is a far better way to learn.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »

I wouldn't bother with a book. Actually watching someone doing it on a video is a far better way to learn.

I just find it's more convenient than having a laptop by the bike in the garage or whatever, and no need to rewind or whatever. Also I can touch it with grubby hands with a bit less worry.

• Advertisement

The main thing for me is the group set. Ultegra is smoother shifting and longer lasting than 2300/sora etc. . The build quality is superior, the machining of the components is more precise. People sometime go about feel, well tuned Ultegra is lovely. You will notice the difference between well tuned Ultegra and a lesser groupset.

Ideally is like Dura Ace because it's better again but I can't afford it.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement