Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid V

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

.ak wrote: »
    This is true. I've played them all, and I often find myself scratching my head during the games, like.. am I supposed to know this person? Or what happened to them? Or that event?

The fact that the entire last cutscene was altered due to 9/11 made things infinitely more ****ing confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Anyone any idea where I might pre-order the collector's edition?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

JeaicMaG wrote: »

Considering the hype behind this game and the massive worldwide fanbase I'd imagine it'll be on playstation store months before its release. Sony are gonna milk this cash cow dry...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

GerB40 wrote: »
    Considering the hype behind this game and the massive worldwide fanbase I'd imagine it'll be on playstation store months before its release. Sony are gonna milk this cash cow dry...

Cash cow for Sony, how. It's not an exclusive. Only MGS4 was an exclusive for the entire series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Cash cow for Sony, how. It's not an exclusive. Only MGS4 was an exclusive for the entire series.

I didn't know that. Sony/Microsoft so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I've never played a MGS game.

Just thought I'd add that, strange I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

mdwexford wrote: »
    I've never played a MGS game.

Just thought I'd add that, strange I know.

I think this one, going by the 'demo', is going back to it's heart, with more accessible, fluid game play, so if you wanted to start playing them it's not a bad place to start. If you were to play any of the back catalogue I'd stick to Metal Gear Solid and MGS2 (wasn't there a revamp?)

MGS3 was too harsh on the player I thought, didn't feel as rewarding, and was the beginning of the whole sterotypically strange and unnecessarily plot-twisting Japanese story-telling. MGS4's game play is a bit better, but still far too over-complicated imo but it does have some seriously epic moments. Obviously as it was the latest full episode in the series it'll have aged the least, but I think if you weren't a fan originally it'll be hard to get into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I liked 4, think I will play it again. The one bit I didn't like was towards the end where you have to try and sneak through nearly an entire army. Don't know how you are supposed to do it without getting seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

JeaicMaG wrote: »

Have heard its a GAME exclusive here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think this one, going by the 'demo', is going back to it's heart, with more accessible, fluid game play, so if you wanted to start playing them it's not a bad place to start. If you were to play any of the back catalogue I'd stick to Metal Gear Solid and MGS2 (wasn't there a revamp?)

MGS3 was too harsh on the player I thought, didn't feel as rewarding, and was the beginning of the whole sterotypically strange and unnecessarily plot-twisting Japanese story-telling. MGS4's game play is a bit better, but still far too over-complicated imo but it does have some seriously epic moments. Obviously as it was the latest full episode in the series it'll have aged the least, but I think if you weren't a fan originally it'll be hard to get into.

Actually, three is widely regarded as the best in the series and the best story as it it is essentially an origins stroy and got to sidestep the majoirty of the **** in MGS2/4.

Absolutely brilliant game.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Actually, three is widely regarded as the best in the series and the best story as it it is essentially an origins stroy and got to sidestep the majoirty of the **** in MGS2/4.

MGS3 is my favourite game of the series, everything about it really, well the Substsnance version with the free camera view is the version I played not the fixed camera release. Followed closely by MGS1.

I am not to mad about Ground Zeros, don't really like the controls or movement. I'll be holding off on this for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,295 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I still class MGS3 as the best game I've ever played. It's genuinely brilliant.

Wasn't a fan, didn't finish it actually. But I remember it as being quite ground breaking at the time. I found it a little too unforgiving in terms of game play, which sucked the fun out of it for me.

And I suppose the storyline is subjective. I just found it overly complicated.

I still think MGS and MGS2 are my favourite. I just had a lot of fun playing them, where as the others I found difficult (although mostly rewardingly so) and the storyline in MGS is easy to follow whilst still being deep in the most parts.

Wasn't a fan, didn't finish it actually. But I remember it as being quite ground breaking at the time. I found it a little too unforgiving in terms of game play, which sucked the fun out of it for me.

And I suppose the storyline is subjective. I just found it overly complicated.

I still think MGS and MGS2 are my favourite. I just had a lot of fun playing them, where as the others I found difficult (although mostly rewardingly so) and the storyline in MGS is easy to follow whilst still being deep in the most parts.

I really think that MGS3's ending actually provides answers (unlike 2 or 4).

I'd definitely recommend finishing the HD version if you ever get a chance.

I really think that MGS3's ending actually provides answers (unlike 2 or 4).

I'd definitely recommend finishing the HD version if you ever get a chance.

I might do that actually - it's set just before MGS5 right? Might be a good way to recap.

I might do that actually - it's set just before MGS5 right? Might be a good way to recap.

Peace Walker and then GZ would fill the gap between MGS3 and 5 if we were being completist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

The HD collection is well worth getting.

MGS2 is a fantastic game with an outrageous story.

MGS3 is a fantastic game with a much better story. MGS3 would be my favourite too.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Have heard its a GAME exclusive here :(

Hmm 100 sterling is a bit of a stretch :P If I could get it for 100 euro I'd consider it!

+1 for MGS3 being among the best ever. Wasn't too heavy on the BS like 2 and 4 and the new gameplay elements were brilliant and not too contrived. The octocamo ruined a good game mechanic for me. For me the best games are MGS1, MGS3, MGS2, MGS Portable Ops, MGS4, The original games, MGS AC!D, MetalGear Awesome, then skip 15 places and MGS Peace Walker. Hated that game with an intense passion. Too much retconning. Too much nonsensical Kojima-ing.

And the fulton system -_-

"In a secret underground base, why not use the fulton recovery system to send people shooting up through solid ground."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Timmyctc wrote: »
    MGS Peace Walker. Hated that game with an intense passion. Too much retconning. Too much nonsensical Kojima-ing.

Something tells me you are going to hate MGSV then, because Kojima seems to be going all in on the elements you hate.

• Advertisement

Otacon wrote: »
    Something tells me you are going to hate MGSV then, because Kojima seems to be going all in on the elements you hate.

Yeah I posted as much back when the gameplay trailer came out. Such a far cry from MGS1 and 3 with their grounded gameplay elements and storyline. Even Volgin and his lightning bulletshooting homoerotic afraid of frogs and rain story arc wasn't too far fetched for me. But Teleporting ghost breast lady who can shoot a 'nade in midair into a chopper, might be going that step too far.

I know its gonna be tempting with the increase in technology in developing the games, to have more advanced technology in the games, but MGS1 may as well not have happened with the amount of Retconning. Clearly if Campbell is aware of this plethora of advanced tech why the fork is he sending you in with some flippers and a ration and some ****ty sonar when 30 years ago you could see through walls and shiii.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Yeah I posted as much back when the gameplay trailer came out. Such a far cry from MGS1 and 3 with their grounded gameplay elements and storyline. Even Volgin and his lightning bulletshooting homoerotic afraid of frogs and rain story arc wasn't too far fetched for me. But Teleporting ghost breast lady who can shoot a 'nade in midair into a chopper, might be going that step too far.

I know its gonna be tempting with the increase in technology in developing the games, to have more advanced technology in the games, but MGS1 may as well not have happened with the amount of Retconning. Clearly if Campbell is aware of this plethora of advanced tech why the fork is he sending you in with some flippers and a ration and some ****ty sonar when 30 years ago you could see through walls and shiii.

How someone can't hate PW for all the Kojimaness but not 2/4 is beyond me to be honest!

PW was far more straightforward. A very good game

Was lucky enough to play it on psp, not entirely sure the short missions would translate well to ps3.

How someone can't hate PW for all the Kojimaness but not 2/4 is beyond me to be honest!

PW was far more straightforward. A very good game

Was lucky enough to play it on psp, not entirely sure the short missions would translate well to ps3.

Not only the Kojimaness, the retconning and the utterly broken fulton system. It was a copout. Attach a balloon and it will always go up. Even underground! The MG in it could ****ing fly and go invisible too. Annoyed me lots. Considering the setting.
    2 Tanker was one of the best things ever. Plant wasn't even massively far fetched until Arsenal. And the 1000s of Rays.

4 was set in the future again so the stupid tech gets a big pass and stuff. The supernatural elements are in all games so thats fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Just bought MGS3 on the store for the PS3 there. Hope you're all happy, my weekend is over before it even begins.

Just bought MGS3 on the store for the PS3 there. Hope you're all happy, my weekend is over before it even begins.

I'd love to play it again without knowing the game.

The HD version adds trophies with nice little touches.
    The time paradox
    You can kill Ocelot early in the game. It's game over if you do.

The early End:
    You can kill a Boss early in the game, to avoid killing him later on in the story.

I'd love to play it again without knowing the game.

The HD version adds trophies with nice little touches.
    The time paradox
    You can kill Ocelot early in the game. It's game over if you do.

The early End:
    You can kill a Boss early in the game, to avoid killing him later on in the story.

What touches does the HD version add?

The two you mentioned have always been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,295 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think CC meant they have trophies for doing those things.

It's just the trophies for doing it really.

The HD version just looks better but it's the exact same game as the Subsistence version released on the PS2.

Ah ok.

Misunderstood.

• Advertisement

I might be missing something here, but MGS:GZ for me has the most similar game play to MGS1/2. Simple, easy to navigate areas with plenty of hides and plenty of patrols. I really enjoyed it, despite it being outrageously priced, but it gives me great hope that MGS5 is going to go back to that more open style of play. I didn't like MGS3/4 mostly because I felt it forced you to be a stealthy as possible and sucked the life out of the game. I always felt if I get caught it's game over and start again. The quick-combat wasn't as fun as previous games. In GZ it feels like if you make a mistake you can get an oppertunity to fix things before they get out of hand. I think that's what makes a game fun, the randomness and open style that I felt was missing in 3 and 4. I don't find changing my cammo whilst crawling from foliage to foliage mid-game very fun. I found those sections very tedious.

As dodgy as the story was in MGS2 the gameplay mechanics was fantastic - you could be stealthy without being tedious, the transitions were quick and fluid and that's probably down the areas being very linear but atleast it was fun. The opening sequence is brilliant.

Advertisement