Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local elections 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭naughto

I no of a good few people that got texts as well, I am no fan of johno and I feel it will be tough 4 him to get elected again

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

patrickn wrote: »
    I received a text the night before the election for JOM. I wondered how they had my mobile number then remembered I had entered it on my County Draw Ticket.

I wonder if it is in accordance with Data Protection legislation to retainfor the purpose of canvassing numbers given when subscribing to a draw.

JO'M has the dificulty next GE in that

1. He has no record of working as a councillor in the area, thus building up contacts.

2 About ten thousand of Mayo's population has gone into Galway West - say about 6000 voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

This thread has seriously gone off topic......happy as I am to castigate our FG TDs, the MM and JO'M debate is overcooked at this stage with consensus that they are both up akin it to get re-elected and their performance to date has been crap.

Anybody know the state of play with the independents running - is Ginty and Durcan going? What about the Ballina due of Kelly & Clarke, will they run?
    Anybody else out in left field we haven't considered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

nuac wrote: »
    I wonder if it is in accordance with Data Protection legislation to retainfor the purpose of canvassing numbers given when subscribing to a draw.

It wouldn't seem to be:

24 January 2011

Data Commissioner advises parties on Electoral Communications

The Data Protection Commissioner, Billy Hawkes, has written to political parties to caution them about communicating with individuals using SMS (text), e-mail or phone in the forthcoming General Election. He advises that they abide by the following guidelines:

Do not attempt to obtain or use contact information from third parties

Avoid sending electoral messages to persons other than those – such as party members – who can reasonably be assumed to consent to receipt of such messages

The Data Protection Acts cater for written communications with the electorate by providing that the restrictions on direct marketing do not apply to direct mailing carried out in the course of political activities by a political party or its members, or a candidate for elective political office. This permits candidates to send letters and leaflets to anyone on the Register of Electors.

During previous election campaigns, the Commissioner received numerous complaints from individuals in receipt of unsolicited SMS (text) messages, emails and phone calls from political parties and candidates for election. In many cases, the individual had no previous contact with the political party or candidate and was concerned at the manner in which their details were sourced. Subsequent investigations revealed that contact details were obtained from sources such as sports clubs, friends, colleagues and schools.

Obtaining personal data in such circumstances would constitute a breach of the Data Protection Acts, as there would be no consent from the individual for their details to be obtained and used in this way.

"In the interests of good relations with the electorate, I urge parties and candidates to abide by these simple guidelines in the course of the forthcoming election", said the Commissioner.

http://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/24/01/11_Press_Release_-_advice_on_electoral_communications/1106.htm

Mayo county council's finances are up against at the moment. We know that they were 100m in debt. Anybody know how much of this is Irish Water going to take off their books?

I know it was reported that each of the town councils have significant cash surpluses which will be transfered to the county council. Will this cash be retained for local services or pay off the debt? I think its around €16m.

Interesting that the council has one fo the biggest overdrafts in the country standing at €14.5m.

Did the council get the 150 redundancies that it was looking for back in 2011? What were the savings?

Car parking revenue has fallen considerably in recent years....I didn't realise its down €830k since 2008.

How will our local candidates tackle these stark finances?

How will they address morale with the staff of the council, which must be on the floor at this stage?

• Advertisement

Great to see cross party support today for the flag day for the Ballina St. Patricks day parade. DC manned the corner with aplomb though not sure if MM was out. Some of her town council colleagues made it.

Any of our erstwhile councillors travelling to the USA or UK to celebrate St Patricks Day?

For some reason I get the feeling that there may be very few heading overseas as it may be perceived as a jolly and generate negative comments on the canvas.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

finisklin wrote: »
    Any of our erstwhile councillors travelling to the USA or UK to celebrate St Patricks Day?

For some reason I get the feeling that there may be very few heading overseas as it may be perceived as a jolly and generate negative comments on the canvas.

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/local/ci_25349256/members-pittsfields-irish-sister-city-enjoy-hospitality-during

"Ballina was represented by councilors Willie Nolan, Josie Egan and engineer Mike Livings. The councilors brought news that their jobs would soon be replaced: The Ballina City Council is being abolished in May, as city residents voted to reduce their government spending and defer to the county government."

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

And:

http://www.pahomepage.com/story/d/story/parade-brings-guests-from-scrantons-twin-city-in-i/14881/glKFJjZIYEiTsDYe3CwznQ
    Many people may be surprised to learn that Scranton has a twin city in Ireland and several of their officials arrived in Scranton Friday morning just in time to take part in the parade....

"This is my third occassion here and we've built up a great relationship with the people from Scranton," Ballina councillor Frances McAndrew said.

Also mentioned is Carmel Murphy.

UK visits are less likely to feature in media reports but I will keep an eye out for any more.

St Patricks day is a practically a world wide event.

It is one event our politicians should support.

No other country gets t he same worldwide exposure

• Advertisement

St Patricks day trips abroad are perceived as junkets and jollies. Definitely get the feeling that this year's is very low key with no major trips by FG or FF county councillors to the USA. Remember the one where they went to NY, Washington and Chicago in the one trip? I think that they would get a grilling on the door step if they were to undertake that one this year....it wouldn't go down well with people.

Looks like Inda is in a bit of bother with the NY and Boston parades over the gay lesbian right of recognition to march in the parade with the organisers. Unfortunately issues like this do a dis service to Irishness abroad. Interesting that Joan Burton came out on this early on stating that she would march in the NY parade.

Locally, Inda is getting a bit of stick regarding the Elverys MBO and sale. The Indo reported on it today from here, with Mulherin quick to put the boot into Kenny with her comments on NAMA, the largest property development company in the world not being helpful regarding pushing through the buy out proposal from management.

The best bit is the comment from an unnamed constituent who knows Inda stating that "Flynn gave us the roads, we need jobs and Enda can't even save a company with 170 jobs in his own town. He's fierce fond of putting on the Mayo jersey when it suits him; the next time he does he should have a look at the front and see it's Elverys sponsoring it".

If Inda doesn't sort this then Mayo will lose jobs and FG will lose votes. Its a shame really as Elvery's is a great Mayo business and it would be a shame to lose it and the jobs to Mike Ainsley or whoever somewhere else.

Inda will get it in the neck at the next Mayo game for sure.

St Patricks day trips abroad are perceived as junkets and jollies. Definitely get the feeling that this year's is very low key with no major trips by FG or FF county councillors to the USA. Remember the one where they went to NY, Washington and Chicago in the one trip? I think that they would get a grilling on the door step if they were to undertake that one this year....it wouldn't go down well with people.

Looks like Inda is in a bit of bother with the NY and Boston parades over the gay lesbian right of recognition to march in the parade with the organisers. Unfortunately issues like this do a dis service to Irishness abroad. Interesting that Joan Burton came out on this early on stating that she would march in the NY parade.

Locally, Inda is getting a bit of stick regarding the Elverys MBO and sale. The Indo reported on it today from here, with Mulherin quick to put the boot into Kenny with her comments on NAMA, the largest property development company in the world not being helpful regarding pushing through the buy out proposal from management.

The best bit is the comment from an unnamed constituent who knows Inda stating that "Flynn gave us the roads, we need jobs and Enda can't even save a company with 170 jobs in his own town. He's fierce fond of putting on the Mayo jersey when it suits him; the next time he does he should have a look at the front and see it's Elverys sponsoring it".

If Inda doesn't sort this then Mayo will lose jobs and FG will lose votes. Its a shame really as Elvery's is a great Mayo business and it would be a shame to lose it and the jobs to Mike Ainsley or whoever somewhere else.

Inda will get it in the neck at the next Mayo game for sure.

As I posted already I would support any trips by any Irish politician to support any St Patrick's Day event.

We are a small country depending on trade. We have to develope all the contacts we can anywhere we can, for tourism, trade and inward investment.

No other country has the brand appeal of St Patrick's Day. We must use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

monument wrote: »
    http://www.berkshireeagle.com/local/ci_25349256/members-pittsfields-irish-sister-city-enjoy-hospitality-during

"Ballina was represented by councilors Willie Nolan, Josie Egan and engineer Mike Livings. The councilors brought news that their jobs would soon be replaced: The Ballina City Council is being abolished in May, as city residents voted to reduce their government spending and defer to the county government."

Sorry... Ballina city?? I think you are mistaken. Ballina is not and has never been a city. Castlebar was automatically a city for 12 days in 1798 as the seat of government for The Republic Of Connacht but Ballina is not.
    Ballina Town council http://www.ballinatc.ie/ , Also the people of ballina never voted to dissolve the TOWN council it was abolished along with all the rest of the town councils by Minister Hogan.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Sorry... Ballina city?? I think you are mistaken. Ballina is not and has never been a city. Castlebar was automatically a city for 12 days in 1798 as the seat of government for The Republic Of Connacht but Ballina is not.
    Ballina Town council http://www.ballinatc.ie/ , Also the people of ballina never voted to dissolve the TOWN council it was abolished along with all the rest of the town councils by Minister Hogan.

Relax, he is quoting the website in his post, which stated City. We know its not a City as monument does.

OK

I repeat the points I have made already re the international importance of St Patricks Day world wide.

In Berlin a SPD started in 2011 of about 150 Irish has now attracted a crowd of over 5000 in Kreusberg. The famous TV tower was floodlit green.

even part of the Great Wall of China was green on SPD. This is priceless publicity for the country.

See the access Enda Kenny had to President Obama.

No other small country has this sort of coverage.

Well worthwhile sending people out to all those events.

I take on board the point Nuac about the access, branding etc that St. Patricks Day provides to promoting all things green.

I do think that it is stale and that the novelty factor of being Irish has worn off in the US. Inda got to meet Obama last Friday, 3 days before the big day and even then it was a short meeting. The coverage in the US media was minimal. Back in Clinton's time, it was a big deal and received a heck of a lot more coverage.

I think that Ireland is not the destination (either for tourists or business) it once was for 2 reasons. Firstly, we have lost our Irish innocence, which has been taken away by the Celtic tiger and secondly the global economy is more competitive for tourists and business. Who wants to see Ireland instead of Mancu Pichu?

I don't see the point of county councillors or town councillors heading over to NY or Pittsfield developing relations between communities when the effect on the majority of Mayo people is minimal. Plus most people aren't bothered of having these ties.

Junkets and jollies for the boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

I take on board the point Nuac about the access, branding etc that St. Patricks Day provides to promoting all things green.

I do think that it is stale and that the novelty factor of being Irish has worn off in the US. Inda got to meet Obama last Friday, 3 days before the big day and even then it was a short meeting. The coverage in the US media was minimal. Back in Clinton's time, it was a big deal and received a heck of a lot more coverage.

I think that Ireland is not the destination (either for tourists or business) it once was for 2 reasons. Firstly, we have lost our Irish innocence, which has been taken away by the Celtic tiger and secondly the global economy is more competitive for tourists and business. Who wants to see Ireland instead of Mancu Pichu?

I don't see the point of county councillors or town councillors heading over to NY or Pittsfield developing relations between communities when the effect on the majority of Mayo people is minimal. Plus most people aren't bothered of having these ties.

Junkets and jollies for the boys.

Disagree with a number of your points.

Enda met him Friday because he (Enda) was scheduled to be in Boston for 8:00 am on Sunday morning and was scheduled to be in the NYC for the parade there on Monday morning.

Back in Clintons timemit was also tied into the Peace process and Clinton was extremely popular unlike the current president

I think if you sent the right people over on these trips, it may actually make a difference. Not the bog standard councillor wearing a Mayo Jersey (cringe)

Pittsfield, I believe was one of GE's largest facilities when the link with Ballina was formed. To have some type of personal relationship with the top boys at these outfits would be very advantageous if they ever were to expand intomEurope or Ireland

whitey1 wrote: »
    Disagree with a number of your points.

Enda met him Friday because he (Enda) was scheduled to be in Boston for 8:00 am on Sunday morning and was scheduled to be in the NYC for the parade there on Monday morning.

Back in Clintons timemit was also tied into the Peace process and Clinton was extremely popular unlike the current president

I think if you sent the right people over on these trips, it may actually make a difference. Not the bog standard councillor wearing a Mayo Jersey (cringe)

Pittsfield, I believe was one of GE's largest facilities when the link with Ballina was formed. To have some type of personal relationship with the top boys at these outfits would be very advantageous if they ever were to expand intomEurope or Ireland

Very kind of Obama to accomodate Inda.....don't think so! For the last few years Inda hasn't met Obama on the 17th March. It was a couple of days before hand. Plus the first time he met him it was a half hour meeting which didn't make the front page of US newspapers.

My understanding is that the GE plant in Pittsfield is a shadow of its former self. GE is well represented in Ireland with locations in Shannon and Dublin.

The image of the county councillors in Mayo jerseys is a scary one. I can picture the bellies hanging out of that one!

Point is that Enda did meeti Obama, and was seen to do so.

However you qualify it, there is is a strong connection between us and many in the States. For all sorts of reasons we should enhance and and build on those.

Last night on TG4 there was a programme on Johnny Kilbane a world champion boxer in Cleveland, of Achill origins. The programme outlined the strong connection between Achill and West Mayo thru' many generations of emigration.

Irish politicians have gone to that area for many St Patrick Day celebrations. I know there have been many visitors from Cleveland to Achill and West Mayo. I have met some of them.

SPD events is a great way of fostering these connections

Perhaps Inda would be better served going to Germany with the bowl of shamrock instead of Washington?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 qmzp

Is there a list of candidates somewhere for the Swinford electoral area?

Perhaps Inda would be better served going to Germany with the bowl of shamrock instead of Washington?

Perhaps, in time

As mentioned above some of the Irish in Berln have been building up a SPD celebration in Kreuzberg. From a small event of about 150 in 2011, now attracts about 5000

Anybody get a knock on the door yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Yep, John O'Hara, FG, last night.

He is the only candidate I expect to call and to be honest he seems a shoe in.

TT

They will be out fast and furious over the next few weeks.

Not sure if his profile is big enough in Ballina but maybe that's a good thing given the size of the constituency.

Its gonna be interesting how they allocate budgets for roads etc .....I reckon there will be a lot of rows and slagging matches.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Anybody get a knock on the door yet?

Got the Durkan lad from Castlebar, heard less conspiracies associated with 9/11 :D
    No one else, plenty of BS on Facebook from the various candidates, but no visits. They wouldn't be that brave! :D

yop wrote: »
    Got the Durkan lad from Castlebar, heard less conspiracies associated with 9/11 :D

He keeps the executive in check a la the x files!

He keeps the executive in check a la the x files!
    There will be a film in him yet, I am sure the lads in MayoTV will be onto him.
    Fair play to them, I remember when Piarais (sp!) set that up and we thought he was mad, but hopefully it gets off ground more now and creates a load of jobs.
    I know my Dad loves watching that channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

Got visited by lisa chambers weeks ago and missed both blackie gavin (thankfully) and eugene mccormack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,375 ✭✭✭irishgeo

the doorbell is broken.

Advertisement