Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local elections 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭naughto

ethical wrote: »
    Any truth in the rumour that a West of Ireland politician is sitting on the fence regarding the pylons issue due to the fact that a family member has got a nice fat job with Eirgrid?
    do tell?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Any truth in the rumour that a West of Ireland politician is sitting on the fence regarding the pylons issue due to the fact that a family member has got a nice fat job with Eirgrid?

Mod Note: Link to it otherwise don't continue it. We don't do rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

naughto wrote: »
    you want lisa chambers over michael kilcoyne will you get away out of that.I dont think she will get in this time either and if she does it ill be very close

Michael Kilcoyne does is come out every now and then and say "some source told me the hospital is being downgraded/The a&e is being made day only" and sell stories to the daily mail. Nothing positive or forward thinking, useless. Only thing about Chambers is FF

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Michael Kilcoyne does is come out every now and then and say "some source told me the hospital is being downgraded/The a&e is being made day only" and sell stories to the daily mail. Nothing positive or forward thinking, useless. Only thing about Chambers is FF

Are you claiming that Kilcoyne is a journalist?

Chambers is an intelligent young lady and imho has the potential to go further

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

FG will have to run a candidate in the Ballina town area. They haven't ruled out running a 5 candidate for the electoral area. Who will it be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Think its a given it'll be winters?

Yeah head office parachuted in Winters and Mellett......kind unusual that they even had a selection convention in the first instance for this. Pretty much everyone got on the ticket bar Seamus Weir who decided to go independent.

Interesting that Ger Deere didn't get a parachute for the Castlebar area. That means they are running 5 candidates in Castlebar and 6 in Ballina.

More here.

I bet he is pissed off with that,with him being Mr Kenny bff.

Whats the numbers in castlebar now?
    Sinn Féin - 1
    Fianna Fáil - 3
    Fine Gael - ?
    Labour - ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Coillte123

AMAZINGLY it has been confirmed by FF HQ apparently that there will not be a convention for Castlebar. Lisa, Blackie and Al given places on the ticket and Kiltimagh candidate shunned it seems. Some OMOV and democracy alive and well. Can they afford not to run someone in Kiltimagh area? Looks like FG and Eugene Lavin will be happy with that strategy !

• Advertisement

It appers remiss of FF if they don't run a sweeper. Probably waiting or stalking a appropriate candidate to parachute in that meets the criteria of the new soliders of destiny.

Any word on independents announcing their candidacy?

Is Frank Durcan running agin?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Id love to get a good flush out of the council this time. Get rid of some of the old backward do nothings like frank durcan and michael kilcoyne, all they do is complain. Like to see some positive youth attitude who actually care and with the right ideas like Lisa Chambers. I think Harry Barret is very good as well :)

Do nothing's like Frank Durcan??????

Do you have any idea of the amount of taxpayers money has been squandered over the years, and no-one held to account. Sweetheart deals to connected developers, council property being sold at below market rate to other connected individuals. Do you remember the time they instead of building a new library, they wanted to lease a building (at higher cost) from a local business man.

If he wasn't prowling around like a Doberman, I can only imagine what else would have gone down.

finisklin wrote: »
    It appers remiss of FF if they don't run a sweeper. Probably waiting or stalking a appropriate candidate to parachute in that meets the criteria of the new soliders of destiny.

Any word on independents announcing their candidacy?

Is Frank Durcan running agin?

hopefully not?!

I'd say he will.Kilcoyne is def running again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Coillte123 wrote: »
    AMAZINGLY it has been confirmed by FF HQ apparently that there will not be a convention for Castlebar. Lisa, Blackie and Al given places on the ticket and Kiltimagh candidate shunned it seems. Some OMOV and democracy alive and well. Can they afford not to run someone in Kiltimagh area? Looks like FG and Eugene Lavin will be happy with that strategy !

What Kiltimagh candidate? :confused: Also what does OMOV mean?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

What Kiltimagh candidate? :confused: Also what does OMOV mean?

One Member One Vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ethical

Are you not just sick of it! Its happens so often and its now happened again!! Michael Kilcoyne 'found out' that Health Minister Reilly is considering closing Mayo General Maternity Unit.............................and John O'Mahony has jumped on the bandwagon and is on the local Mayo station,Mid West Radio.(in which he has a 'free pass' to pontificate on all matters ).O'Mahony does this sort of thing on a regular basis,jumping on the bandwagon when another deputy has done the hard work..................the local public must be shockingly thick and ignorant if they do not see through O'Mahony at this stage.He has done this sort of thing now for many years and only for a sporting organisation elected him in the first place he would not have been inflicted on the general public.

Are you not just sick of it! Its happens so often and its now happened again!! Michael Kilcoyne 'found out' that Health Minister Reilly is considering closing Mayo General Maternity Unit.............................and John O'Mahony has jumped on the bandwagon and is on the local Mayo station,Mid West Radio.(in which he has a 'free pass' to pontificate on all matters ).O'Mahony does this sort of thing on a regular basis,jumping on the bandwagon when another deputy has done the hard work..................the local public must be shockingly thick and ignorant if they do not see through O'Mahony at this stage.He has done this sort of thing now for many years and only for a sporting organisation elected him in the first place he would not have been inflicted on the general public.

I not a follower or either Kilcoyne nor JOM, but MK just found out, has he produced a source for this.
    You know what politicians are like, they will say anything to paint themselves in a good picture.
    I don't trust ANY of them and MK could be stirring.

Dident they release a statement in the Connaught saying that it was just a review of the maturity ward,meaning they where trying to close it untilsome one found out about

naughto wrote: »
    Dident they release a statement in the Connaught saying that it was just a review of the maturity ward,meaning they where trying to close it untilsome one found out about

I don't know to be honest, when I saw it on here last night I had a look online to see what MadWest had and I saw it been part of a story that Ring said it wasnt going to happen under their "rule", but didn't say it would NEVER happen.
    So maybe there is substance to it, I just dont trust any of them, local elections coming up, they are all trying to be our saviors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Going a bit off topic a bit.
    I wouldn't worry about this. Mayo General is becoming stronger and stronger. It's just had it's Renal Dialysis unit upgraded which cost several million, the MRI unit was upgraded, the foundations for the new Cystic Fibrosis unit have just started, the A&E is getting upgraded (partly due to Roscommon A&E closing), the roof of the old part was just upgraded, the End of Life Care was just upgraded and this is just in the last 4-5 years with talk of other areas getting upgraded.

If anything the only thing an independent report would show is how great the staff are, how important Mayo General is, how big a catchments area it has and if anything we'll end up getting an upgraded maternity unit like the other recently upgraded units in the hospital.

I would fear for Portiuncula Hospital as it's a lot closer to Galway with the M6 motorway but not Castlebar.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

I do hope Dudda is right about this.

There is a lot of territory and many bad roads between Galway and Letterkenny.

A lot can go wrong on those roads- Arriving babies do not wait

Don't forget that Mayo General is the closest hospital to Shell in Belmullet and this has a bearing on Mayo general's future.

Note that Galway is developing its cystic wing at the moment and it may not be practical to have a unit in Mayo general and Galway. The bean counters point to cost savings and efficiencies as the main reason for having one.

Politics is key when it comes health and managing services in the HSE and the hospital network. If significant savings are required in the HSE then everything is on the table and up for cuts. However with the troika gone that pressure is off.

Interesting to note that Reilly came out himself to defend Mayo General in the Dail to quickly quell MK unrest on the matter. Given that this is in Inda's backyard and with a forthcoming reshuffle on the cards, Reilly's non characteristic speed in responding was worthy of a gold medal. Not that it will save his bacon.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭MollFlanders

https://www.facebook.com/saveourhospital

Came across this online last night. I really hope it is an unfounded rumour, where are the women of Mayo supposed to deliver their babies? Enda has a lot to answer for. Won't ever get my vote again, a lot of anti women and children cuts were made under his watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Came across this online last night. I really hope it is an unfounded rumour, where are the women of Mayo supposed to deliver their babies? Enda has a lot to answer for. Won't ever get my vote again, a lot of anti women and children cuts were made under his watch.

I was reading about this too. It's very worrying if true.
    It would take hours for some women to get to a hospital if Castlebar was closed to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

finisklin wrote: »
    Note that Galway is developing its cystic wing at the moment and it may not be practical to have a unit in Mayo general and Galway. The bean counters point to cost savings and efficiencies as the main reason for having one.

It's funded by Cystic Fibrosis Ireland not the HSE. They were fundraising for the last 5 years. The concrete piles are finished and the foundations are to be poured next week. No stopping the Cystic Fibrosis unit now. You can see it for yourself to the left of the old entrance opposite the TF Hotel.

The one in Galway will happen as well as it's funded by the charity not the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Its highly likely to be an unfounded rumour. That facebook page is full of people leaping to conclusions and demanding that the taoiseach of the country prioritises his homeplace.

Mod Note: I have merged these threads as its already been discussed in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Silly me, and i thought he was democratically elected by the people of Mayo. Thanks for pointing out how wrong i am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ethical

Dear JOM supporter,u do realise that every and I mean every mobile phone number that was attached to a GAA member got at least one text the night before the last general election asking/begging for a vote for JOM.and fair play to them they did not let him down!!

Advertisement