Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep Photo Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

No site photos today, too much going on, have to reign in the spend, was totting up earlier........ !

Progress being made though.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

get your rocks off.
    good luck with the build.
    will ya be growing tomatoes for the summer?:D

My neighbour reckons he'll be growing tomatoes in it lol, maybe I should rent it out for the Summer, indoor allotments, got the topsoil and all, can make up some raised beds :D

This time next year Rodney...................

heaton buckley in sligo has sleepers at 20e this week:)

Ground conditions from early in the day, pure ploughing, things are much much worse now :D. Deutz was getting it hard to pull the dumper. In good conditions two hours would shift all we had for shifting. That's my sisters field, inside my gate, well put it this way I'll save on fert this year :eek: :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Ground conditions from early in the day, pure ploughing, things are much much worse now :D. Deutz was getting it hard to pull the dumper. In good conditions two hours would shift all we had for shifting. That's my sisters field, inside my gate, well put it this way I'll save on fert this year :eek: :pac:

If I'd seen that field before being ploughed up, I would have assumed Stoney, well draining land. You never can tell !!!

If I'd seen that field before being ploughed up, I would have assumed Stoney, well draining land. You never can tell !!!

It can be deceptive. I reckon it's improved, over hundreds of years, bog. It gets wet easily and tends to want to stay wet. It's difficult ground in that it's all uneven, up down, bedrock near and through surface in places then a few feet of depth. You just don't know until you go digging. Grow some lovely spuds in that soil though, I know cos I have :D

tomatoes,now taties where is this horticultral road going to lead.......:D

Machines are gone from site thank GOD! We're winging it on putting up the tunnel as conventional methods can't be worked. So next step is casing and concrete for a small wall to hold the ground pegs the hoops will slide onto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Machines are gone from site thank GOD! We're winging it on putting up the tunnel as conventional methods can't be worked. So next step is casing and concrete for a small wall to hold the ground pegs the hoops will slide onto.

What size u putting up con. Have u the concrete coming this week ? Hopefully it will stay dry when your putting it down until it gets a chance to cure.

• Advertisement

Will be mixing ourselves, most likely skip tomorrow and go fencing to finish off the ould fellas place. Tunnel will be 42 x 23.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Will be mixing ourselves, most likely skip tomorrow and go fencing to finish off the ould fellas place. Tunnel will be 42 x 23.

Your a glutter for punishment. Would u not order a load of ready mix. Ud have it done while ud be mixing the third batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I can never get a home mix as good as a bought in mixture. Probably due to the sand/gravel mix being sold nowadays in big bags as "concrete mix" being nearer to blinding. Too much dust in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭eire23

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n629/eire23/DSCF1949_zpsf37a5ef7.jpg

A first here this morning, a black lleyn. The mother must have some black genes in her? Never seen it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Odelay

Any update Conn on the poly shed or are you growing tomatoes in it? Would love to see how it's going.

Growing something more profitable than sheep, perhaps, Con? :D

Odelay wrote: »
    Any update Conn on the poly shed or are you growing tomatoes in it? Would love to see how it's going.

All stop at the moment, the hoops and rest of frame are on site and ready to be put up but the weather has broken in terms of wind and putting the plastic on. It's taken a backseat now to more pressing lambing type work. Unfortunately I won't have it available for lambing this year by the looks of things.

All stop at the moment, the hoops and rest of frame are on site and ready to be put up but the weather has broken in terms of wind and putting the plastic on. It's taken a backseat now to more pressing lambing type work. Unfortunately I won't have it available for lambing this year by the looks of things.

Pity, we were all looking forward to the official launch

I had bought a hat, and was organising a batch of home brew for the big opening.......

As was I, particularly with this bad turn of weather we're currently having. Anyway, no point in crying over spilt milk, have my small shed tidied, getting straw tomorrow. I'll be able put in three sets of twins/patients at a time if I need to. That's as much housing as I've had any other year and I've still done reasonably well with it.

On a more sour note, will be up at 3am to have an early look out for my red friends. That was going to be the comfort of the tunnel, sleep-full nights :D

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=Conmaicne Mara;

On a more sour note, will be up at 3am to have an early look out for my red friends. That was going to be the comfort of the tunnel, sleep-full nights :D[/QUOTE]

I'm just back in the door 20 minutes ago after clocking off for the night in the lambing shed, but was thinking about foxy , if you left a coat lying around with your scent on it and a small radio with talk show or something like with the sound of human voice, would that ward off a fox if he thought you were about ????

I'm just back in the door 20 minutes ago after clocking off for the night in the lambing shed, but was thinking about foxy , if you left a coat lying around with your scent on it and a small radio with talk show or something like with the sound of human voice, would that ward off a fox if he thought you were about ????

I don't know about the radio (Jesus that Niall Boylan on 4fm would cause mass abortions in my flock) but I doubt the coat would work. Fox took a dump in the coil of a garden hose beside a lads mobile home last year :D

I'd absolutely love to try livestock guardian dogs but I'd have several fairly major concerns regarding tourists, the nearby road and other farmers with their own dogs.

Last two of the first batch. 30 ewe lambs starting in 3 weeks, so a bit of watching there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Cran

couple of pics from this week, Ram lamb born 31st December and the pedigree April lambers. Must take some pictures of the commercials ready to begin lambing end of next week over the weekend and I'll throw them up here

Set of small twins this morning, humpy and looking cold/sorry for themselves. Both ewe lambs. Put them into intensive care, such as it is, and gave colostrum by stomach tube. Ewe has milk but sooner it's inside them the better. Scales says black lamb is 3.2kg and white lamb is 2.64kg. Will weigh them tomorrow again when they've straightened up a bit as I'm not sure I believe those weights. They are small but the black lambs looks bigger then the white one, maybe it's just the colour.

Hoor of a morning, windy, cold, rain showers and sleet, car says 3 degrees. Perfect lambing weather, last year was better, while it was very cold and windy at least it was dry, cold and wet kills lambs quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Set of small twins this morning, humpy and looking cold/sorry for themselves. Both ewe lambs. Put them into intensive care, such as it is, and gave colostrum by stomach tube. Ewe has milk but sooner it's inside them the better. Scales says black lamb is 3.2kg and white lamb is 2.64kg. Will weigh them tomorrow again when they've straightened up a bit as I'm not sure I believe those weights. They are small but the black lambs looks bigger then the white one, maybe it's just the colour.

Hoor of a morning, windy, cold, rain showers and sleet, car says 3 degrees. Perfect lambing weather, last year was better, while it was very cold and windy at least it was dry, cold and wet kills lambs quick.

Nothing wrong with stomach tubes, but sucking is good for them too, so give them a chance to suck it first( if you have the time) ...all helps.
    Sucking reflex is usually strong shortly after being born

Are you dipping the navels, we're getting good results from Hibitane+ and everyone we recommend it too is happy with it too. Navels dry too quick with Iodine and crack and let in infection that way

They've good wolly coats on them con , that helps in this weather

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭mikefoxo

The hay in the bag is a novel idea Con

rancher wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with stomach tubes, but sucking is good for them too, so give them a chance to suck it first( if you have the time) ...all helps.
    Sucking reflex is usually strong shortly after being born

Are you dipping the navels, we're getting good results from Hibitane+ and everyone we recommend it too is happy with it too. Navels dry too quick with Iodine and crack and let in infection that way

The white lamb didn't look so good in the morning, big hump, stood a bit away from the ewe and black lamb. I felt it would be better warm her up as a priority and get some colostrum into her so she could get to sucking under her own power. She's still a little bent out of shape but I'd say will be sound in a day or so.

Yeah using 10% iodine here for dipping. Only heard Hibitane mentioned lately, think on Twitter. Know SFA about it but I'll look it up.

Have you everything lambed?

• Advertisement

mikefoxo wrote: »
    The hay in the bag is a novel idea Con

Handier for more than turf ;) We've used them as cheap hay feeders for a long time, to be fair they take longer to fill than a rack but if I've to bring a bag somewhere it's handy too just to tie it up and split it when it's filled already.

A year like last year, cold winds, if you had to carry a lamb any length you can cut a bag down to size and make a lamb carrier out of it. Protects them from the cold wind.

Advertisement