Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep Photo Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

eire23 wrote: »
    Be good for getting a group talking alright, sometime the oldest solutions are the best and it beats letting a ewe off with a single;)

Yep, the simplist solutions are often the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Would it work to adopt ANY lamb onto any lamb, or only like one of her own she took a disliking to? Short version, is there a catch?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭eire23

Had the two cases last year.
    A single that wouldnt take to a pet that we adopted on to her and a ewe that rejected one of her own lambs after three days for some strange reason. Be intresting to see if she pulls the same stunt again this year

Had the two cases last year.
    A single that wouldnt take to a pet that we adopted on to her and a ewe that rejected one of her own lambs after three days for some strange reason. Be intresting to see if she pulls the same stunt again this year

Is she on "the bucket list"? :D

Is she on "the bucket list"? :D

I suppose she is!

• Advertisement

Would the ewe not start turning around when she'd feel a lamb sucking on her? Or does she get fed up with the antics?

Would the ewe not start turning around when she'd feel a lamb sucking on her? Or does she get fed up with the antics?

She does at the beginning but she wont be long stopping it. When the bucket goes on first leave her in an individual lambing pen for a short while till she gets used to the idea and there not much place for her to be twisting around when the lambs start sucking her.

You would think that she would be able to differentiate between the two lambs by smell but they obviously cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

Bit of light reading waiting to pick up the kids.
    and now brother con will read from the good book:D

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    and now brother con will read from the good book:D

The Gospel according to St David.

ocjf.jpg

One of the ewes with the bucket in action, keeps the head dry on a wet day anyways:)

Here Eire, what're them stalky things behind the fence there :confused:

• Advertisement

Here Eire, what're them stalky things behind the fence there :confused:

A plant called the "rush". Planted to give shelter to lambs in bad weather.
    Must put down some more in strategically placed spots in different fields.

Would you like some to try out?:pac:

A nice looking spot to be fair!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

A plant called the "rush". Planted to give shelter to lambs in bad weather.
    Must put down some more in strategically placed spots in different fields.

Would you like some to try out?:pac:

Con, to help you establish your own plantation, I can offer you special "starter kits" of 4x4 bales of quality seed. Ideal for bedding poly-tunnels also.
    €15 plus haulage................:D

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Con, to help you establish your own plantation, I can offer you special "starter kits" of 4x4 bales of quality seed. Ideal for bedding poly-tunnels also.

:D With offers like that I might put in slats :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

:D With offers like that I might put in slats :P

:D:D:D

Talking of slats, was at a lads farm recently and he had converted a beef shed to sheep housing. Instead of bedding the slats, he made up grids consisting of 3/4 re-bar, cut to length to lie in the gap in the gang slat, and welded these to strips of flat iron running at 90 degrees to the re-bar. He was fattening stores on them, and said that there was surprisingly little lameness, and easy washed down etc. Just lift the grid up and remove if you want to use the shed for cattle.

Nekarsulm wrote: »

They must be good alright, otherwise fellas wouldn't bother flogging them on donedeal, they'd never be chancing their arms, now would they:D I personally think they also make great burning material, for keeping your field nice and cosy, just add petrol to your 4x4 bale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Bit of light reading waiting to pick up the kids.

What's the book con?

sea12 wrote: »
    What's the book con?

The Veterinary Book for Sheep Farmers by David C Henderson, does a good lambing DVD too :)

Eventful day.

Digger just about made it through the pen.

Cleaning off and heaping the topsoil, sorting the rocks for foundation.

• Advertisement

What's you building Con ?

What's you building Con ?

Polytunnel for the sheepz z z z

Soil isn't deep and land isn't flat here like other places so can't just hammer in pegs and put on hoops I am afraid!

This was my I can't fupping believe they left the digger like that THERE moment :eek:

Then the allegedly 4wd dumper got bogged inside the gate with a load of fill. So it was pushed up out of the wet spot by the machine. Then it got stuck again so the Deutz and chain were pressed into action to pull the dumper uphill. The the wet spot was dug out and filled........ that's the sound of my wallet crying right there :D

Then the allegedly 4wd dumper got bogged inside the gate with a load of fill. So it was pushed up out of the wet spot by the machine. Then it got stuck again so the Deutz and chain were pressed into action to pull the dumper uphill. The the wet spot was dug out and filled........ that's the sound of my wallet crying right there :D

All those stumbling blocks will be forgotten after you first successful lambing season has passed in the tunnel. Fine views there in the background

Then the dumper broke the side of my pen, ho-hum.........

Fup it, I will make it a drive thru pen now and take the corner out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Then the dumper broke the side of my pen, ho-hum.........

Fup it, I will make it a drive thru pen now and take the corner out of it.

Ah you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.

It will be all worth it when it's finished. Keep the pictures coming always enjoy a construction job taking shape.

sea12 wrote: »
    Ah you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.

It will be all worth it when it's finished. Keep the pictures coming always enjoy a construction job taking shape.

Haha, I said I didn't mind about the pen, I don't mind if the pillar goes, but by God if my little shed is knocked ! :D :cool:

Back at it tomorrow, hoping for no rain overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Looking good Con, keep the pics coming.

You have two machines in do you, plus dumper.. Wot be long adding up all right. But - as the previous posters said, when you have a bit of ease lambing, you will be glad of it all...

Looking good Con, keep the pics coming.

You have two machines in do you, plus dumper.. Wot be long adding up all right. But - as the previous posters said, when you have a bit of ease lambing, you will be glad of it all...

Yeah, the smaller digger is more sort of borrowed than "working", will give the fella what he asks but it won't be on par with the other machine, which comes with dumper, I hope............

We had trouble getting the first machine in this morning, so tracking her back down to load the dumper, then back up to spread the fill wasn't an option, hence second machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Cran

Fair play Con looking forward to the next episode already tonight :)

Advertisement